Send Topic Print
Car tire for the back (Read 1614 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Car tire for the back
Reply #15 - 08/19/08 at 07:46:39

I wonder if I could tell them I am putting up a tire swing for a snotty little rich kid & it has to be new & I want THIS one...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 08/19/08 at 07:47:08

The graduate engineering teams who design tires take into account all the factors needed to produce a safe tire for the application.  Motorcycle tires are deliberately designed to provide superior traction compared to car tires.  Tread patterns are different, the rubber is 'stickier', and so on. For these reasons, they do not last as long as car tires.  

Any back yard mechanic can jam any tire on just about any rim.  I've seen brutes in Tijuana do it all the time. If you are  lucky, you may ride thousands of miles on it without incident.  If you are un-lucky, you will have problems.  Problems are the last thing you need on a motorcycle.

Tire manufacturers' engineering teams know this practice is not safe, resulting in the manufacturers doing what they can to stop the foolish from ignoring safety precautions.  They do this by funding public education on the subject, ,trying to restrict sales to the proper application, and with disclaimers.

All you have between the road and your body is the tires.  Why would anyone presume to know more than engineering teams, and recommend the wrong tire for an application just because he got away with it so far?  Motorcycle tires are stickier and have better side treads for banking.  Motorcycle tread patterns are far different than car tire patterns, and the 'Net is full articles about the handling problems when mixing dissimilar patterns on a motorcycle. Don't you want that edge in case you have an emergency need for it?

The motivation stated for switching to a car tire is the saving of $.  How many beers would it take to make up the difference? How many cigarettes? How about not eating out for a few nights, and instead spend the money on the safest tire?  What would you loved ones want you to do?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 08/19/08 at 07:51:22

Thats right Gort, Thats exactly what the engineers would say & it HAS merit. However, the people who put the car tire on the bike KNOWS they are stepping into a compromised situation. They did it. Its their right. Its their choice. Its their LIFE. & So far, none has suffered ONCE. Now, should someone call the POleese & tell them to go save these people from themselves? Should they be jailed, because they are recklessly endangering others? They have compromised their traction to save $$$ & might just fall down at any time, thereby putting all drivers near them at risk & pedestrians, too. JAIL them all..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 08/19/08 at 08:12:17

Brad_THMP3R wrote on 08/18/08 at 19:39:50:
Hey Gort... not to bash but man, you don't have to quote what someone says every time you reply. If it's in the same thread, we all kinda know what you're responding to. Just to save you some time. Wink

Sometimes a reply makes no sense if you are replying to a post that is on a previous page, especially if the topic has changed.  Quoting the post I am commenting on provides clarity and continuity.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 08/19/08 at 08:30:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/19/08 at 07:51:22:
Thats right Gort, Thats exactly what the engineers would say & it HAS merit. However, the people who put the car tire on the bike KNOWS they are stepping into a compromised situation. They did it. Its their right. Its their choice. Its their LIFE. & So far, none has suffered ONCE. Now, should someone call the POleese & tell them to go save these people from themselves? Should they be jailed, because they are recklessly endangering others? They have compromised their traction to save $$$ & might just fall down at any time, thereby putting all drivers near them at risk & pedestrians, too. JAIL them all..

Of course not.  If someone wants to risk his life and does so with full knowledge of the risks, that is his business.  BUT,  what we often have on this site are obviously un-informed or in-experienced people who are earnestly asking advice on safety issues, and who are receiving answers from others who have chosen to dis-regard safety considerations and present their solutions as the correct path.  The only reason I open my mouth is to attempt to provide balance, so the person making the request can decide what is best for himself.   I know I'm going to get slammed by disagreeing with others, but its unethical to recommend unsafe practices to newbies without first giving them all the facts.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 08/19/08 at 09:00:52

Engineers design a tire to meet the requirements of the broad public.  From the 2 wheeled cager to Johny peg grinder.

And for the same reason that we rejet our bikes we select tires to meet our needs.

WWW   IP Logged
Royal
YaBB Newbies

Ride like the Devil,
he's gaining on you.

Kansas and Texas
Reply #21 - 08/19/08 at 09:02:04

If anyone is considering putting a car tire on their bike please PM me and I'll give you my information so you can fill out your life insurance policy. I'd consider we both have about a 50-50 chance of lucking out.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 08/19/08 at 09:18:26

All the dire warnings, in the face of current & ongoing SUCCessful, hard ridden, car tires on Savages by ( I think) 5 current riders? & they call ME a doomer!

IP Logged
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Reply #23 - 08/19/08 at 09:19:43

When I bought my bike, the PO must've never leaned into turns, cuz the only wear on the tire was a flat spot around the perimeter. I mean there was 2 inches of bald tire surrounded by plenty of good tread. I replaced it with a slightly beefier Perelli and it was like a brand new machine! I guess what I'm getting at is that I could not imagine riding my bike with a car tire on the rear, esp. ripping through tight turns.

K&N air filter, stage 1 jet set, SuperTrapp megaphone exhaust, solo seat w/ clothespin springs, stainless seatpan w/ fenderbib.1971 CB front fender and mirror.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 08/19/08 at 09:23:00

In one sense Gort is right -- you ARE taking a risk.  For several weeks your bike will handle quite a bit differently and YOU SHOULD BE VERY CAUTIOUS during this hind-brain retraining period of time.  Your ass is on the line if you take it out into heavy traffic too early and it is your ass, after all.  

Give yourself time to explore rapid braking and hard turns before you go out to play on the freeway to find your high speed rumba point.

Read the whole thread -- note my mentioning just how the new sensations make you feel when you first feel them.  
(you too will need a fresh set of undies at some point in time)  Remember to jack your preload on your shocks up all the way to the highest setting (you have reduced tire clearance) and start out at 33 pounds of air pressure in the tire for max stability.   The tire below is fully broken in (took more than a year to do so) and is ready to go anywhere and do anything.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1179508142     (read the whole thing)

Beyond that, every list is equipped with at least one nay-sayer and a vocal peanut gallery.  Generally both chime in on "car tires on a bike" as it seems like their natural turf to them.

Sometimes you have to consider if the opinions are from people who have done things or from people who are equipped with fingers and a keyboard and a vocal opinion.  The way to sort them out is to look in the Tech Section for the folks who have actually done stuff and contributed real content to the site.

========================

Now, if I told you that riding a motorcycle fast on mountain roads required you to give up on using your rear brake for quick stops -- would you listen?  

You need to rev your motor more and use engine braking to slow down if you need to and ALWAYS ALWAYS concentrate on leaning on through the turn .....  never give up,    keep on leaning   --   keep on leaning   ---

Oldfeller

« Last Edit: 08/20/08 at 06:12:43 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #25 - 08/19/08 at 09:59:21

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/19/08 at 09:23:00:
Sometimes you have to consider if the opinions are from people who have done things or from people who are equipped with fingers and a keyboard and a vocal opinion.  The way to sort them out is to look in the Tech Section for the folks who have actually done stuff.
Oldfeller

LOL - this is going to show you that I worked as an engineer for Firestone and Dunlop for years, and that I do all my own maintenance and have rebuilt several vehicles how? There are lots of people who frequent the Tech Section who don't know what they are talking about and lots that don't visit the Tech Section who have plenty of experience - granted this doesn't mean we know what we are talking about.  Wink

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 08/19/08 at 10:18:54

Oh no, my little flamer -- for you I would suggest people click on your name, then scroll down to the bottom of your profile and just click on "Show the last XX posts made by Mornm ---GO!---" crank that sucker up to the 25 maximum, hit the "go" button and instantly review your site-wide high value content contribution level.

Humbling ain't it?   Reminds me not to get into pissing contests with the ones who live for such stuff -- t'aint really worth the effort.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 08/19/08 at 10:26:08

There is a substantial difference between testing done by amateurs of limited experience under casual, random conditions, and professional testing done under strict controls which go to great lengths to duplicate every road condition.

Assuming that several amateur riders casually testing a design alteration produces any kind of meaningful road data is an enormous mistake.  Tire engineers spend great sums of money and research time deciding what is safest for an application.  If safety is your concern, they are the ones to listen too.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 08/19/08 at 11:59:52

Arthur wrote on 08/19/08 at 10:26:08:
There is a substantial difference between testing done by amateurs of limited experience under casual, random conditions, and professional testing done under strict controls which go to great lengths to duplicate every road condition.

Putting a car tire on a motorcycle rim is no feat for an amateur.  M/C tires are hard enough.  This alone made my decision for me.  I may be able to slip on a tubeless tire, but wasn't able to do the tubed version w/o pinching it.  Putting on a car tire in place of a m/c tire is a gate for the amateur.

And lab conditions simulate the real world, but those that have done it know it does not replace it.  A well trained hind-brain has more computing power and more sensitivity then the sensors used in testing.

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 08/19/08 at 12:39:13

verslagen1 wrote on 08/19/08 at 11:59:52:
Arthur wrote on 08/19/08 at 10:26:08:

Putting a car tire on a motorcycle rim is no feat for an amateur.  M/C tires are hard enough.  This alone made my decision for me.  I may be able to slip on a tubeless tire, but wasn't able to do the tubed version w/o pinching it.  Putting on a car tire in place of a m/c tire is a gate for the amateur.

And lab conditions simulate the real world, but those that have done it know it does not replace it.  A well trained hind-brain has more computing power and more sensitivity then the sensors used in testing.

Tire development and testing is done on multi-million dollar test tracks and centers, using every kind of road surface, simulating every kind of weather condition, with state of the art equipment.  It is only under these conditions that the correct tires can be chosen for a particular application.  Forcing a tire on a rim and then riding around to work or on cruises is no way to prove manufacturers recommendations are incorrect, and hardly a way to determine if the application is safe.

Tijuana, Mexico is full of dirt floor used tire shops employing Mexicans who never saw a day of school, who will force anything onto a rim so long as the rim diameter is correct.  They do it all the time and charge a few dollars.  Its no problem for them and they've learned to do it out of necessity.  The same service can be had in Mexican tire shops in Santa Ana, Pico Rivera, Norwalk and Los Angeles, CA.  This takes no skill. It takes brute force.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 15:31:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Car tire for the back

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.