Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Aviation Fuel (Read 363 times)
Gort
Ex Member

Re: Aviation Fuel
Reply #15 - 08/21/08 at 19:13:35

sockmonkeygirl wrote on 08/21/08 at 17:15:55:
I did want to raise the point about flammability.  Isn't aviation fuel highly flammable?  In the event that something dreadful happen, that bike might go up like a meteorite.  I suppoze a rider isn't generally still on a bike after a crash..but, thought I'd mention.

I once had a friend who put it in his car.  Upon impact, he, three other friends, and the car immediately perished in a very hot fire.  The rims were nothing but smallish molten blobs.

When mixed with air in the right proportions, one cup of gasoline has the explosive capability of 5lbs. of dynamite:

http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d000701-d000800/d000760/d000760.html

Gasoline is more volatile than Jet engine fuel, which in itself is clear kerosene:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline

I spent a lot of time on the 'Net trying to find out if there is a difference in flammability or volatility between AV gas and automobile gasoline, but I found nothing.  However, when a cup of gasoline correctly mixed with air has the explosive capability of 5lbs. of dynamite, does it really matter if AV gas is more flammable?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #16 - 08/21/08 at 19:44:25

I wonder how far 5 pounds of dynamite would propel a Savage?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #17 - 08/21/08 at 20:16:10

and in what direction

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #18 - 08/21/08 at 20:19:15

I bet 5 lbs of dynamite would propel it 500ft in all dircetions a once. Who get to lite the fuse.??

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #19 - 08/22/08 at 00:54:50

Skid Mark wrote on 08/21/08 at 20:19:15:
I bet 5 lbs of dynamite would propel it 500ft in all dircetions a once. Who get to lite the fuse.??

Unrelated---------- how did you come up with "Skid Mark"? my last name is Rowe I was thinking of going with Skid Rowe ,what do you think? would I be infringing?

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #20 - 08/22/08 at 21:19:29

Go for it Mick. I got it from an old tv show. The main character was a race car driver (Mark Mccormick) whose nick name was Skid Mark. I would provide more details but alzimers is slowly dissolving my trivia memory.

As long as the skids aren't while we are ridding, the more the merrier.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 19:22:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Aviation Fuel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.