Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
big bang when shutting off engine (Read 503 times)
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Re: big bang when shutting off engine
Reply #15 - 08/26/08 at 08:56:41

07S40rider wrote on 08/18/08 at 17:36:20:
I have chosen to make a game out of it.  when I get ready to shut down, I know there is going to be a 'puff' or a 'whomp' or something similar.  I try to time it so that I flip the side stand down at the exact time - or maybe do the finger/gun thing and act like I am shooting the ceiling of my garage.  Cheesy.  What can I say, I am easily amused.

Sometimes I do the same thing myself. You guys remember the movie "Uncle Buck" with John Candy? Uncle Buck drives his teenage niece to high school and when he drops her off, he shuts off his enormous boat of a car and.....BAMMM!!!!! Grin

K&N air filter, stage 1 jet set, SuperTrapp megaphone exhaust, solo seat w/ clothespin springs, stainless seatpan w/ fenderbib.1971 CB front fender and mirror.
  IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Reply #16 - 08/26/08 at 09:07:21

You don't need to have choke out long enough to wash gas into cylinder.  Pull choke at the same moment you hit the kill switch.  Use both hands, one on the choke knob. the other on the kill switch.  Only takes 1/2 second or less.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 08/26/08 at 09:36:18

I love the fart on shutdown. Reminds me of little babies, burp than sleep Smiley as many said, lean mixture does it. Or exhaust leak.

IP Logged
Lazy Old Rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/30/08 at 04:45:31

It is part of the savages charm Wink

Mine was doing it all the time and my mates on thier big Victories like it cos they know I have arrived.

Proper tuning, the old fashioned way, as described previously will probably improve overall gas mileage, but may make the Lean Mean Environmental Machine raise an eyebrow.

If it can run at tick over slower by adjusting the throttle engine idler screw (left hand side - 'not the right hand under brass plug idle jet')

It may be enough, mine will give a quiet pufft, but if i twist the throttle to simulate fast idle I can give my calling card.

However rather than fiddle with choke on stopping, leave in gear with a bit of "almost biting but slowing the engine grip hill start style, flick the cut out switch, engage neutral. Side stand down cutout to normal remove key. Walk away from bike, return to bike to nswitch off parking light Roll Eyes

IP Logged
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Reply #19 - 08/30/08 at 08:19:28

Good to hear that I am not the only one with the parking light issue..   Puzzles me why it is even there.

I found out the other day when I was leading a couple Hardley Drivensome's around town that the middle rider didn't like the howitzer salute.  Actually the comment was made to my wife (she was on the back bike with her dad) asking if I had enough life insurance because if I popped again I was going to need it.  Needless to say, I let the howitzer go when we got home.

So ride it, enjoy it, and if it pops every now and then get a laugh out of it.

ozark_bassist_1973   IP Logged
SavageGirl17
YaBB Newbies

Never a"Good
Hair Day"
again. Helmet hair
ROCKS!!!

Reply #20 - 09/03/08 at 13:30:13

Quote:
Sometimes I do the same thing myself. You guys remember the movie "Uncle Buck" with John Candy? Uncle Buck drives his teenage niece to high school and when he drops her off, he shuts off his enormous boat of a car and.....BAMMM!!!!!  

I love this part of the movie- and Uncle Buck is so proud!!!

I laugh every time it happens to me.  Hey its characteristic.  Although, I might have to try some "fixes" to see if I can at least control when it happens (like letting it idle for a few seconds before shutting off)

race_chickie17   IP Logged
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Reply #21 - 09/03/08 at 20:53:06

SavageGirl17 wrote on 09/03/08 at 13:30:13:
Quote:
Sometimes I do the same thing myself. You guys remember the movie "Uncle Buck" with John Candy? Uncle Buck drives his teenage niece to high school and when he drops her off, he shuts off his enormous boat of a car and.....BAMMM!!!!!  

I love this part of the movie- and Uncle Buck is so proud!!!

I laugh every time it happens to me.  Hey its characteristic.  Although, I might have to try some "fixes" to see if I can at least control when it happens (like letting it idle for a few seconds before shutting off)

My favorite part of the movie,too...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2VncFeO_98U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2VncFeO_98U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

K&N air filter, stage 1 jet set, SuperTrapp megaphone exhaust, solo seat w/ clothespin springs, stainless seatpan w/ fenderbib.1971 CB front fender and mirror.
  IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #22 - 09/04/08 at 08:53:55

I have not tried it yet (because I never remember) but I have heard that if you let the bike settle down to an idle and then let it idle for 20-30 seconds before shutting if off that it will not pop on shutdown.

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
SavageGirl17
YaBB Newbies

Never a"Good
Hair Day"
again. Helmet hair
ROCKS!!!

Reply #23 - 09/04/08 at 10:09:06

Ever since posting yesterday, everytime I turn off my bike I try the whole "let it idle then shut it down"... works like a charm for me!  Only once did I hear a little "phht" and that was nothing.   Tongue
Thanks for the idea!!! (whoever posted that)

race_chickie17   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:32:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › big bang when shutting off engine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.