Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Flat Rear Tire = Opportunity (Read 229 times)
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Flat Rear Tire = Opportunity
08/17/08 at 16:05:13

OK, so my wife calls on her way home and says she pulled to the side of the road after the bike started handling squirrely.  I arrive in the rescue wagon to find a totally flat rear tire and no way to fix on the spot.  Lacking a trailer our only option was for my wife to drive comfortably in the Limo while I nursed her “Scavenger” the 3 miles home at 10 mph.  It was quite a pump fighting the bars to try and stay straight while the rear end snaked every which way.  Well, finally we got home and discovered the culprit – an embedded nail.  Ever notice most flats are on the rear as the front tire kicks up the impaling object first.  I got some tips on this site and pulled the rear wheel after removing axle, spacers, adjusters, brake cable, belt covers, belt, rear light / plate assembly.  Quite a pain without a center stand.  The stock IRC had over 4,000 miles so I decided to replace it with something better.  The Kenda 140/90-15 seemed an economical choice but first I had to remove the OEM tire.  Well, my hat off to you folks who do this at home – no amount of stomping, compressing the sidewall, levering, cussing helped and I slunk down to the dealer – my last resort.  They had all the automated equipment necessary so I swallowed my pride and let them take care of it.  The labor cost was very reasonable at $15.00.  Naturally the Kenda wasn’t in stock but they had one Metzler ME880 140/90 HB15 REA at $112 so I agreed in the name of expediency.  Actually, this is one nice tire and I checked here first to be sure there were no clearance problems.  Now I like it so much I just got to have one on my bike too!

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Flat Rear Tire = Opportunity
Reply #1 - 08/17/08 at 16:48:27

rokrover wrote on 08/17/08 at 16:05:13:
... they had one Metzler ME880 140/90 HB15 REA at $112 so I agreed in the name of expediency.  Actually, this is one nice tire ...
... at a very nice price.  I paid $114 at denniskirk.com and they have a low price guarantee.  

Check out the poor man's bike stand in the Tech section.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/17/08 at 16:54:39

If you have a place to tie the handlebars between 2 objects & a block a bit taller than the muffler bracket is off the ground, you can jam something under the muffler bracket, stand the bike up & the rear tire is off the ground. Tie the bike off & voila..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #3 - 08/18/08 at 11:17:06

Here's a tip from my neighbor the shop teacher/carpenter. I paid to have my rear tire changed the first time. When I wore that one out I decided to do the work myself. Turns out car tires are easier to break down than motorcycle tires. Something about not being afraid to hurt the rims I guess.

Anyway, after an hour of stomping, hammering, cursing and what-not, I went to his garage next door and asked for some advice/help. He handed me one of those wooden carpenter's clamps with the two long metal threaded rods going between two large-ish wooden blocks. Put those two chunks of oak on either side of the tire right up next to the edge of the rim and start turning the screw handles one at a time, a little bit at a time. Danged if that tire bead didn't just pop off the rim pretty as you please.

Of course you've still got to get the tire off the rim without puncturing the tube. But hey, that's what dish soap and long screw drivers are for, right?

Jack

IP Logged
stumusic
YaBB Newbies

What a great bike...

Poway, CA (near San Diego)
Reply #4 - 08/18/08 at 12:00:13

I just logged in to take a look at tire recommendations and saw this post. I was alarmed that the brand new IRC tire the dealer had put on my bike when I bought it was bald down the center after only 4500 miles. They claim that is normal wear, but being my first bike and used to cars that get 50 or 60 thousand miles to a set of tires I'm rather alarmed. Speaking to the local cyclegear.com storefront, they recommended a Metzeler ME880 140/80/15 as the correct replacement. That differs in size from the one talked about in this thread. Is that the correct size? What should I expect in life span from that tire? I primarily use the bike for freeway commuting.

Thanks,

Stuart-

2007 Stock S40
  IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #5 - 08/18/08 at 12:03:07

Uh Oh - I just learned these Metzlers (made in Brazil) have problems with sidewall cracking and even separating:
http://motorcycletirereviews.com/25-1-marathon880.html
Anyone else notice this?  

As for the last post, the ME880 140/80/15 is the OEM size.  The 140/90/15 is a little taller but fits fine and looks better IMHO.

IP Logged
stumusic
YaBB Newbies

What a great bike...

Poway, CA (near San Diego)
Reply #6 - 08/18/08 at 15:29:08

I just found out the dealership where my bike is currently being serviced went ahead and ordered Dunlop 404 140/90/15's for me (without talking to me first..) before I make an issue of their non-communication, anyone have any experience with these tires? Does the slightly taller 140/90 have any meaningful effect on fuel economy/ handling?

Thanks,

Stuart-

2007 Stock S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 08/18/08 at 17:04:16

I have the Dunlop on the rear with just over 3,000 miles on it. It's looking like it may make better than 6,000 & it's not squaring off much at all. Traction is good. I am liking it better than any other Ive had & at 18,000 mkiles, Ive seen some tires, IRC, Maxxiss (X2, cheap, but the last one went away like an eraser) & now the Dunlop. I am considering the Metzler next, then I'll jknow what I want. Now, its either Dunlop,or maybe Metzler, OR, maybe, Dark Side rubber,,, who knows? 20,000 miles for under $100.00? Sounds good to me.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #8 - 08/18/08 at 17:09:08

Dunlops are all I've run so far on my bike front and back. I do high mileage road trips on all kinds of highways and they've been very nice. They stick to the road well, rain or sun. I haven't tried ice yet, but . . . The 140/90 will throw your speedo off by 5%-10% but should also up your real mpg fuel usage as well.

If you're hauling a heavy load you might want to set your shocks all the way up or get some that are a bit longer, especially if you're going to use bag braces for saddle bags. It can get a bit tight in there particularly on the drive belt side. I put a nice groove in the side of one of mine before I noticed what the bouncing up and down did for the bolt head clearance back there.

Jack

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 08/18/08 at 17:13:21

I just put Pirelli MT66 Route tires on my LC 1500 and like them real well.theres good write ups on them,But anytime you put new tires on you want feel the grooves in the road,A new tire is always better than a worn out tire.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #10 - 08/18/08 at 17:33:01

Jack_650 wrote on 08/18/08 at 11:17:06:
Here's a tip from my neighbor the shop teacher/carpenter. I paid to have my rear tire changed the first time. When I wore that one out I decided to do the work myself. Turns out car tires are easier to break down than motorcycle tires. Something about not being afraid to hurt the rims I guess.

Anyway, after an hour of stomping, hammering, cursing and what-not, I went to his garage next door and asked for some advice/help. He handed me one of those wooden carpenter's clamps with the two long metal threaded rods going between two large-ish wooden blocks. Put those two chunks of oak on either side of the tire right up next to the edge of the rim and start turning the screw handles one at a time, a little bit at a time. Danged if that tire bead didn't just pop off the rim pretty as you please.

Of course you've still got to get the tire off the rim without puncturing the tube. But hey, that's what dish soap and long screw drivers are for, right?

Jack

i generally change tube at same time so i don't worry about the pinch

dunlop 404 is a good tire, cant go wrong.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 08/18/08 at 20:04:51

I ran a set of D404's, a good all-round tire, fit my bike without rubbing.  It's not a sport bike, but no sport bike passed me on either the Angel's Crest or the Ortega highways.  Got 8000 to 9000 miles out of the rear.  Recently installed a set of Metzelers which feel more nimble, but that might just be new vs. old.

If you haven't gone over the Ortega Highway, you should.  Google Maps will give you a street view to check out.  The view of Lake Elsinor is worth it just by itself:

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 08/18/08 at 22:00:06

A couple of 2X4s & a piece of rope & a short chunk of a 4X4 & there's a bead breaker. No holes to drill, nothing permanent, just wind the rope arount the 2   2X4s loose enough to give yourself some leverage on the 4X4.. aint rokkit sighence..

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 08/19/08 at 00:34:30

rokrover wrote on 08/17/08 at 16:05:13:
OK, so my wife calls on her way home and says she pulled to the side of the road after the bike started handling squirrely.  I arrive in the rescue wagon to find a totally flat rear tire and no way to fix on the spot.  Lacking a trailer our only option was for my wife to drive comfortably in the Limo while I nursed her “Scavenger” the 3 miles home at 10 mph.  It was quite a pump fighting the bars to try and stay straight while the rear end snaked every which way.  

What's wrong with "Fix-a-Flat" ?

I always have one in my tool pouch.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #14 - 08/19/08 at 03:41:57

I recently had a rear flat on my 8500 miles original equipment tire. Fix a flat only got me about 2 miles up the road. I put a Shinko (?) 140-90-15 on. Liked it so much I went ahead and replaced the front going one size bigger as well. I was hitting the forward bolt on the right hand saddle bag support. Just took the bags off for the summer. Need to grind the bolt head down almost flat and get ready for winter. I read on the forum that the bigger front tire would fit but it didn't. just cut some plate steel just wider than the fender mount bolt spacing and appx 1 " long. A little flat black paint and the fender is back on. Can't go wrong on the bigger tires. More stable on the freeway and rain grooves all but go away.

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 23:20:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flat Rear Tire = Opportunity

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.