Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lancer Hi Performance Mod performed on 650 junker (Read 688 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Lancer Hi Performance Mod performed on 650 jun
Reply #15 - 08/30/08 at 05:16:35

Keep it coming O.F.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 08/31/08 at 04:04:13

Now that the foot pegs are handled, got to consider completing the lay down bed for the long trips.  Found this on close out for $17, may not be the ultimate solution but it allows a tryout of the reclining bed idea on a short trip.  Cheap enough not to get Yoda after me, anyway ....

Point is I can fill it up with a correctly formed piece of firm foam (or stuff it with clothes) to support my upper body completely, making a total relaxed body support right on up to my chin if need be.

Hindsight is always 20-20, if I had waited until I had the body support worked out then I could have ordered the correct handle bar the very first time.  Ah, the joys of sending stuff back ...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 08/31/08 at 06:20:38

I'd probably stuff with clothes & finish off with foam.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 09/07/08 at 16:16:23

Let's see, what's new about the Lancer Mod bike.  

Hey, the second set of handle bars got here and they looked close enough to drill the holes in it to actually try them out.  Holes?  Squid bikes are all plasticky about the controls, no aluminum housings at all.  As such they don't clamp on well enough not to rotate on you unless you put a protruding plastic housing spud into a hole in the handle bar to keep the whole control module from rotating on you.

So, I pulled off $170 dollars worth of custom clip on weighted bar end neatness & coolness and replaced it with a $22 handle bar and a set of $9.00 grips.  They go up in the air and back to suit my stubby little arms exactly, so they are worth more to me than the original stuff any day.  

(plus I'll peddle the clip on stuff I just took off for more money than all my pretty ups and mods have cost me to date -- it's called "breaking even on the deal")

Now here is a pic without the old clip on bars cluttering up the shot.

I also went after the pants leg eating hot exhaust pipe using some fiberglass wrap from a boat place.

I also put some of the same on my Savage as it has eaten a set of pants or two over the years ....  stock exhaust on the Savage gets very hot and will require another layer of fiberglass wrap to insulate enough to quit melting cotton polyester blend pants.

So, I had a busy weekend and made some more incremental progress.  I have a brake bleeding job coming up (I had to disturb some hydraulic fittings moving the bars around) and I have a lot of tweeking and fine tuning to do over the next few weeks.

« Last Edit: 09/09/08 at 03:27:22 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 09/08/08 at 16:16:47

Done twiddling with the brakes, out for the proof trip down the feeder road to I95 (long straight deserted road ....)

Oh my,      

Lancer -- I can do 110 mph in 5th gear at 8,000 rpm.  And it happens real real fast, too.  I did that before I even got off the exit merge lane getting on to the actual road.  I didn't even have time to get into 6th and I still had 2,500 rpm left in 5th before the rev limiter would have cut me off.

Truth is, my little black beanie helmet was trying to rip my silly head off and bugs were getting all stuck between my grimacing teeth as my eye sockets began to puff open in the wind blast.  

T'warn't any fun.  Eye lids are still smarting.

Upright seating at these speeds isn't so good, now I see why the squid boys have them silly clip on bars and lay all over the tank all the time.  And why they worship their "gear" so much.  They need it.

Full face helmet, jacket & gloves ---- what will she do in 6th gear before wind resistance on body bulk calls it a day ??

Oldsquidfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #20 - 09/08/08 at 16:27:44

Oldfeller- some of the mentioned photos are not showing up, nor are links to photos.. Shocked

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #21 - 09/08/08 at 17:17:52

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/08/08 at 16:16:47:
Lancer -- I can do 110 mph in 5th gear at 8,000 rpm.  And it happens real real fast, too.  I did that before I even got off the exit merge lane getting on to the actual road.  I didn't even have time to get into 6th and I still had 2,500 rpm left in 5th before the rev limiter would have cut me off.

Oldsquidfeller

Next thing you know you're searching for a nice little 600 sportbike that will add another 40hp and 40mph..  Wink there's no returning back.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 09/08/08 at 17:22:28

Which one can be lowered a lot?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 09/08/08 at 17:46:08

O.F., I cantsee the pics, either.

Oh, & WOW..
Maybe a small fairing to get some of the "Blow you off the back of your bike" pressures would be a good idea?
Glad you didnt get a bug in the eyeball. I wonder at what speed a june bug would penetrate?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 09/09/08 at 03:32:00

Ok, Justin -- I fixed the pics (I think)

Take a look and see if you can see them.

PS  that little bitty thing over the speedo is a 130 mph windscreen, your face and helmet are supposed to be right behind it if you have "good racing form" (according to the squiddites, anyway).

I wish I had the skinny little 19 year old body that could hide behind that little cowl screen after taking an "S" bend over the tank.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:18:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lancer Hi Performance Mod performed on 650 junker

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.