Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb trouble and what to check first. (Read 54 times)
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Carb trouble and what to check first.
08/16/08 at 07:52:40

Ok, here it is, the lastest in the never-ending saga of Toymaker and his bike.  

Last time, we discovered that Toymaker's bike with its little exhaust was a bugger to carb tune.  So, after changing jets and messing with the pilot adjustment screw, it was discovered that the end of said screw was broken...

While cleaning out the carb, a small piece of sand or glass was found in the hole of the pilot screw.  

Removed screw and polished the end, hoping that this might help with the adjustment....nope, didn't help

Removed the bigger jest and when back to smaller ones....returned screw to location and tried to return to pre-adjusted, "fixed" state...after all, it ran pretty good there.........now no longer ran at all.

Ordered new screw, spring, washer and o-ring....and waited....and waited.........and waited......and went to California for wedding, came home and waitied some more.

NOw, happy day, UPS truck appears on the horizon, carrying the needed screw, spring,washer, and o-ring....Joy, smiles, excitement. Cheesy

Installed new parts, and promptly fired the machine up.......ran like crappity smack! (Sorry SOCKMONKEYGIRL) :'(

Removed all parts needed to remove carb.....and started looking at what else could be wrong.  Noticed that needle on the diaphram slide was VERY loose....funnt, I don't remember it having to be coaxed into the jet hole...

Removed the needle....found spring had moved up the needle and was not in its normal position.  Probably happened when the carb was disassembled to get new jets....

Reassemble the needle with what is left of white spacer (about 1/4 of original) spring and assorted goodies....and notice that needle is now straight and slides EFFORTLESSLY into place....

As I tighten the last bolt holding the seat on, I pray to the motorcycle gods........and offer a blood sacrifice...(skiined my knuckle on the bike)..

insert key and hit the starter.VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Grin

Runs like stink...

Moral of story....Check all the little things that might get  out of adjustment or out of place.......

Cheers

T-maker Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Because I can!
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Carb trouble and what to check first.
Reply #1 - 08/16/08 at 18:16:03

Congrat"s  !!!!!

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: Carb trouble and what to check first.
Reply #2 - 08/16/08 at 19:48:20

KISS.  It always works for me.

If I've tinkered with something, I immediately retrace my steps (all of them) to find the one small thing I buggered up that makes the whole thing run like crap.

Good for you, toymaker!  Now, when you're ready, I have a chain-saw that has been defying me for a year.  Maybe you can offer another sacrifice for me and get it working!

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 03:16:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb trouble and what to check first.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.