Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can I use the old cylinder head plug (Read 96 times)
calalli
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Can I use the old cylinder head plug
08/16/08 at 07:15:51

I was all set to day to replace the cylinder head plug, as well as check/adjust the valves and replace the exhaust header gasket - just clean up the bike and try to stop the oil leak I have developed.  I just realized I ordered the wrong plug - I have the one that goes on the right out side of the cylinder head.  

So, advise wanted, do I order correct plug and try to do this next Saturday, after my brother's bachelor party Friday?  Or do it now and just reuse the plug, but put sealant on it?  

This is a big undertaking for me, plus the head gasket was costly, so I do not want to do it twice.  What would you do?

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Re: Can I use the old cylinder head plug
Reply #1 - 08/16/08 at 07:33:16

i re used mine with some sealant. if you do have to do it again, you won't need another headgasket, just to change the plug.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/16/08 at 08:32:59

Is it the solid (new) kind?

clean her up good, goober her real good with rtv, and slap her back in.

the worst that will happen is will still leak.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
calalli
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/16/08 at 12:04:00

Ido not know if it is old or new, but I have started to do it. HELP!  How do I get the cylinder head cover off with the solenoid cable attached, I do not see how to disconnect it, do I remove the screws or is there a better way?

Boy I am afraid I am gonna mess up my bike

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/16/08 at 13:47:46

Been awhile, and no manual to refer to... do you?

loosen the adjuster all the way i think and there should be a slot to pass the cable thru.  rotate 90° and the cable end should slip out.

you'll need a impact driver to get the screws out.  they are tuff.

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 08/16/08 at 14:13:00

calalli wrote on 08/16/08 at 12:04:00:
Ido not know if it is old or new, but I have started to do it. HELP!  How do I get the cylinder head cover off with the solenoid cable attached, I do not see how to disconnect it, do I remove the screws or is there a better way?

Boy I am afraid I am gonna mess up my bike

Relax, take a deep breath Slug down a beer (optional)

I always re-use my head plug, I just slap some RTV on it and stick it in there, no fuss, no leak.

The decomp cable I just take loose the bottom adjusting nut and slip the cable off pretty much like verslagen said.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 08/16/08 at 17:07:43

For the DeComp cable,  I take the two screws out of the bracket and off it comes.   No need to readjust.

Next,  there is no gasket between the head-cover and the head.   Just hi-temp sealant. Just clean, wipe down with some alcohol (91%  or de-natured)    Note: it must be hi-temp because of the heat produced.  

« Last Edit: 08/17/08 at 14:23:40 by T Mack 1 - FSO »  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
calalli
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/17/08 at 08:21:27

Well, I have it back together and it runs, so I guess I didn't do too bad.  I removed the decomp cable as suggested, but still do not see anywhere in the clymers that that is mentioned, it just says remove the cylinder head cover.  

I did not adjust the valves, I could not get a feeler gauge to fit anywhere, I think I was getting nervous (in over my head)  and tired.  So I was putting it back together last night, and when I used the wrong hose to replace the fuel line and dumped half a gallon of gas on the drive, I rolled it into the garage and quit for the night.  This morning I finished it up and took a test drive.  

Seems ok. I had to readjust the idle mixture screw a bit; as I was replacing the exhaust header gasket I noticed that the bolts were quite loose, perhaps I had an exhaust leak there and did not know it.

It still seems to be leaking oil, even more on the left side, though the right side is staying clean.  I guess I did a lousy job with the sealant.  I am afraid I got it on stuff I shouldn't have and not completely where it should be. I looked for a diagram displaying where it should be.  I put the sealant on the cover itself, and ended up getting it on the cam chain, valve springs etc as I worked.  In hind sight, I guess I should have put the sealant on the head itself huh?

One tip I did come up with:  I printed several copies of the diagram Savage Greg provided, and as I removed the bolts I cut out the label from one copy and placed it with the bolt in a unused fishing tackle box.  Made reassembly much simpler, just match the label to the intact diagram.

Oh well.  I'll try it again some day soon I am sure.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 21:28:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can I use the old cylinder head plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.