Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carburetor JETTING Question (Read 174 times)
autoxbot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carburetor JETTING Question
08/15/08 at 11:10:03

Hi guys/gals, I have a '97 Savage with 11K miles. The previous owner had a stock muffler, but drilled a secondary hole into it.  I've recently bought a "slip-on" Dyna muffler from Ebay and Lance's Jetset and cone style Air filter. I've installed the Dyna muffler and getting backfire everytime I decelerate. This was the same case with the stock muffler on. I don't know if the previous owner did any kind of jetting to carburetor.

My question is, do I need to take apart the motorcycle (seat, gas tank off, etc.)  to rejet? Looking at the bike, I can see there's no obstruction from me getting to the bottom bow of the carb. Can I just screw out the four screws from the bottom bowl and replace them with the higher jets from Lance's set. Or do I need disassemble everything? I've called a local motorycle shop about installing the cone style air filter and rejetting and they quoted me 2 hours minimum for the job (they charge $80/hr.). How long is this kind of job realistically for a motorcycle mechanic and a wannabe shade tree mechanic like myself?

Lance's Jetset comes with a 55 pilot, and 3 different main jets - 150, 152.5, 155.  Wanted to find out what jets to use, if for the moment, I only have the Dyna muffler installed.

Thanks for all the help,

Mark  

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Carburetor JETTING Question
Reply #1 - 08/15/08 at 11:29:57

Just take out the 4 screws,good #2 screwdriver and push hard ,or needle nose vise grips

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 08/15/08 at 11:35:27

Like Bill says , 4 screws on fuel bowel (bottom of carb). You may need to push on the battery box a little to get the bowel to come down. Then the main and pilot jets are there. Look in the Tech / ref section for pictures.

I would think to start at 152.5 main.

Note, the jets have numbs on them, so you can see what was in there and go from there. (note: real real real small numbers on the pilot jet..... did I say enough real's there??)

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
autoxbot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/15/08 at 11:47:45

Thanks for the info guys, this is good news. I'll be doing it myself then instead of getting ripped by the local repair shop. Also I wanted to find out which one is the air/fuel mixture screw? The idle screw is on the left hand side of the carb. And on the right hand side, I saw a hole that has a "plug cover" and some kind of slide lock washer on it. Is the air/fuel mixture screw there or somewhere else?

Thanks again guys!!

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 08/15/08 at 11:55:04

This is in the Tech ref section.  Note: one of the always on top topics is an index.  It's real handy.

Picture courtsey of Savage_Greg.    Greg, thanks again, and sorry you're so busy.....

« Last Edit: 08/15/08 at 19:34:58 by T Mack 1 - FSO »  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
bugsville

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gainesville, FL
Reply #5 - 08/15/08 at 14:49:51

It's not real hard to take off the tank, etc and get the carb all the way out - while its out you can clean it a bit and its good practice because you'll want to get the tank of later to check the spark plug when adjusting the carb - I did the plug "door" mod so I can get to the plug to check it without taking the tank off. Dissasembly is not as difficult as you might think - it may even be easier than trying to do it all with the carb in - I took out the battery box too. (installed a battery tender pigtail because I often leave my key in P by mistake)

I also put on the dyna muffler and rejetted with the 152.5 main - your gonna love the difference!

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #6 - 08/15/08 at 18:28:11

I did my rejet without removing the tank, but removed the battery box instead. I feel it is easier than dealing with the tank. You'll probably want to remove the carb instead of trying to do this in place. I had drill out 3 of the screws plus one of the jets, because they are just too soft. If I did a rejet so can you, screw the stealerships!  Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 08/15/08 at 20:32:58

I just unscrewed the bowl, pushed back on the battery box a little, and dropped her right off of there.  Swap the jet and put the bowl right back on.

I think Suzuki must have used better screws and bolts early on.  I haven't stripped one anywhere on my bike yet.  I'm not talented enough for that to be my fault.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Big Luke
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mesa AZ
Reply #8 - 08/16/08 at 13:42:25

Hello all!
I just bought a 2006 S40 with 730 miles on Sat. I have been riding a 250 Rebel for 10 years and am extremey pleased with the S40. I have read almost all the posts on this forum and because of them I bought a Dyna muff, Jetset (from Lancer), and a bike computer. I am waiting to receive the muffler and Jetset.
I feel I am pretty mechanicly inclined, but I have never messed with carborator. My biggest concern is that I will mess something up while changing out the jets. I have not opened up the carborator yet so all I have to go on is the pics in the tech section.  I have looked all over this forum and found vague instructions on performing this task. I was hoping some one could give me detailed step-by-step instructions so I will know exactly what to do and not just hope i am doing it right, or if instuctions are posted somewhere please let me know.

Thanks

IP Logged
Big Luke
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mesa AZ
Reply #9 - 08/20/08 at 09:12:54

Disregard my last post. I just found what I need.

Thanks!

Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 07:23:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carburetor JETTING Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.