Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stranded at the moment...help (electric failure?) (Read 105 times)
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Stranded at the moment...help (electric failure?)
08/15/08 at 07:30:53

I just rode in to work and after a bit I decided to run out for a cup of coffee, I got down the street a bit, and upon shifting into 2nd the whole bike went dead.

Right now turning the key produces no lights or any other functions (won't start)

Can you folks please give me an idea of where to start looking so I can go home tonight? - not to mention I have a lunch meeting that I would like to make (I hope!)

Thank you

-Matt

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Stranded at the moment...help (electric failur
Reply #1 - 08/15/08 at 07:41:35

I would start at the battery connections and move on quickly to the kill switch.  I've been having trouble with my kill switch lately.  If I use it to shut the bike off, I sometimes have to flip it back and forth a few times to get things going again.  Time to open it up and look around, I guess.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #2 - 08/15/08 at 07:45:33

Sudden loss of lights probably means a fuse blew.  Should be an extra in the toolkit cover.  The kill switch doesn't affect lights.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #3 - 08/15/08 at 07:45:50

I'd check the fuse first. If it is blown you will get know no power to the ignition switch. Install a new fuse, if it blows start checking for a wiring short. Possibly wire cover rubbed through,contacting bikes frame.

Good Luck
Jimmer

IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #4 - 08/15/08 at 07:56:32

Moofed wrote on 08/15/08 at 07:45:33:
Sudden loss of lights probably means a fuse blew.  Should be an extra in the toolkit cover.  The kill switch doesn't affect lights.

Thanks,  I tossed my toolkit in the shed months ago.  Can you tell me what the fuse would be rated?

And where is it, under the seat?

Thank You!

WWW   IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #5 - 08/15/08 at 08:03:32

My extra fuse is glued to the inside of the chrome toolkit cover, not in the toolkit itself.  I think it is a 20 (yellow?).  And yes, the fuses are under the seat.
Edit: Yes, it is a 20A fuse.  Manual says so.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #6 - 08/15/08 at 08:08:18

Moofed wrote on 08/15/08 at 08:03:32:
My extra fuse is glued to the inside of the chrome toolkit cover, not in the toolkit itself.  I think it is a 20 (yellow?).  And yes, the fuses are under the seat.
Edit: Yes, it is a 20A fuse.  Manual says so.

Cool, yeah I think I remember seeing one in there.  

And I did just RTFM - fuses pg 66 under the seat.

Thank you!

WWW   IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #7 - 08/15/08 at 08:23:07

OK, the top fuse was shot, I put in a new one, turned the key to ON, and instantly blew the fuse again.

Sucks being at work and not in the shop.

Can anyone tell me where to start looking being that it is the TOP fuse that is blowing?

Thanks!

WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #8 - 08/15/08 at 08:35:13

Look for shorted wiring along the frame. There may be some evidence of arcing or sparking. The larger the fuse rating, the more chance for damage (arcing/sparking). If not, look for worn or missing insulation.
Just moving the wires around may eliminate the short, but if you don't find the problem and fix it, the problem will revisit you. (Probably around 2 am on a Saturday night, when you're riding through the South side of Chicago.)  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 08/15/08 at 09:29:42

Ok....  not sure who first suggested this but it works.  And, as a electronics tech type, the science behind it is valid.

Use a light bulb in the place of a fuse then jiggle the wiring until the light goes out.  That spot will be the "general" area of the short.   The light has "resistance" to control current flow so that you don't create a dead short and burn up the wiring.

I know they have a type of Auto light bulb that is all glass and the wires are bent over the flat bottom part.  It's the type that get pushed into a flat looking socket and sometimes a holder that then twists in (a bigger version of our Speedo light bulbs).    Well, if you bend the wires,  I believe one of those could be made to go into the fuse holder......     Other wise, buy a socket and wire up something.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #10 - 08/15/08 at 09:37:17

Would a cheap probe-type current tester do the same thing?  That would be easy to insert in the socket, and could be used again for other purposes later.  I'm not the electonic tech type, so maybe it isn't the same.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 08/15/08 at 09:53:23

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 08/15/08 at 09:37:17:
Would a cheap probe-type current tester do the same thing?  That would be easy to insert in the socket, and could be used again for other purposes later.  I'm not the electonic tech type, so maybe it isn't the same.

Depends,   if it's the type made to check house current, NO.  They use neon bulbs and that requires AC voltage to work.   Well.....  if you have high enogh DC voltage, you can get one of the electrodes to glow,  but 12 v isn't high enough.

Bulbs are fairly cheap, 2 for three of four bucks.    

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 05:42:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stranded at the moment...help (electric failure?)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.