Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Got racked up! (Read 453 times)
KWKaletta

The Savage Cycle

Zanesville, IN
Re: Got racked up!
Reply #15 - 08/15/08 at 23:31:27

If I had my own mill and lathe I would probably make things and sell them, heck I don't even have a place to put them, but I have to use the equipment at work for now and that can be touch and go!!!

Impossible - A word for the doing of which has not yet been learned.
  IP Logged
shadowman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern Virginia
Reply #16 - 08/16/08 at 11:56:44

It's got a minimalist/industrial touch to it that goes well with the Savage.  I really, really like this.  A lot.

IP Logged
KWKaletta

The Savage Cycle

Zanesville, IN
Reply #17 - 03/29/09 at 02:55:43

Quote:
KW,

I saw your luggage rack some months ago, well now a friend of mine's father has a nice shop and I'd like to know the general dimensions and layout of your design. I'm thinking of trying something similar. I'm also curious, did you drill into the sissy bar? It looks like you may have.

Any help would be appreciated.

VHFKID

First the rack is clamped to the sissy bar.  I took a piece of scrap SST bar about 3/4" x7"x2" Cut 2 angled slots that more or less matched the sissy bar and drilled and  6 1/4 -20 taped holes then drilled 6 holes in a piece of SST  1/4" x7"x2"  for the clamp and 2 5/16-18 taped holes on the end for positioning the rack and 2 extra 5/16-18 taped holes on the top if I needed to ad anything.  I used 2pcs of SST bar 1 3/4"x .25"x 8" for the sides. and used 3/16"x 1/2"x 8" SST for the cross members. When I got the position right I took it off the rack and got it welded.  I slotted the  cross members and the side rails for fitting .  And all Stainless Steel hardware.
http://www.kwkaletta.com/SavagePhotos/Rack1.jpg

The angles of the luggage rack bars make it nice to keep the rack from slipping down!! Grin

Impossible - A word for the doing of which has not yet been learned.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #18 - 03/29/09 at 17:50:16

KWKaletta wrote on 08/14/08 at 22:47:22:
I am a toolmaker and at work I can sometimes make things on lunch and while things are slow and a machine is opened! Cheesy
I have thought about Highway bars but one project at a time,  I look at other ideas before I make things.

KW, any way you could expand on Ed L.'s awesome FC design and make forward controls that use an additional forward supporting threaded rod that doubles as highway peg mounts?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #19 - 03/29/09 at 21:13:25

diamond jim wrote on 03/29/09 at 17:50:16:
KWKaletta wrote on 08/14/08 at 22:47:22:
I am a toolmaker and at work I can sometimes make things on lunch and while things are slow and a machine is opened! Cheesy
I have thought about Highway bars but one project at a time,  I look at other ideas before I make things.

KW, any way you could expand on Ed L.'s awesome FC design and make forward controls that use an additional forward supporting threaded rod that doubles as highway peg mounts?

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh128/russ_diamond_jim/FChighwaybars-1.jpg

brake and shifter would be in the way down that low..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #20 - 03/30/09 at 04:30:43

Extend the pegs out some then.  I'm pretty sure the red LS650 in the "My chopper from Bulgaria" had some very similar in design.  I just checked but the pic links are broken.  Anyhow, I've seen them before.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 23:47:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Got racked up!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.