gas cap woes (Read 146 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
gas cap woes
08/14/08 at 19:04:37

just about every time I fill up I get the gas overflowing down the tank on take off, I only fill to within an inch of the opening,it continues for about 12 miles.
It's very uncomfortable when it drifts back toward the family jewels.
Is it my gas cap? or do you all get the same problem?

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Re: gas cap woes
Reply #1 - 08/14/08 at 19:12:55

happens to me too. you just have to fill it up to just below the bottom of the filler neck inside the tank. or try not to take off as fast and slosh the fuel around Grin

IP Logged
craigq
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, ON
Reply #2 - 08/14/08 at 19:25:54

Somebody on this site suggested to cut an inner tube from a tire to fit the underside of the gas cap...

Here is the original post: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1182521300

2009 WR250R/X
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 08/15/08 at 05:08:28

You are filling up a little too high.  

Take the cap off.  Then, look at the bottom side.  You will see two little holes.  Those are the vent holes to let air in as the gas goes down.

When the tank is over filled, two things can happen.  As the gas warms up (summer time) it expands and if the gas is touching the one hole, it pumps it out.    The other thing is as you take off, the slosh of the gas can hit the hole and out it comes....

Yes,  I know the tank is too small so we all try to get as much in as possible (I'm guilty too),  but there is a limit.....  Gas coming out the cap is messy....  and can be unsafe.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/15/08 at 10:45:33

I know it may not be the safest practice, but I fill-up sitting on the bike with it upright, 'cause if I use the kickstand it will overfill when I pull it upright...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #5 - 08/15/08 at 11:25:02

I tried, I promise I fought it, but I can't resist the temptation to recommend the McGoofy.  Now that I have started using mine, no more 'runs' after a fill up.  
http://www.mccuff.com/
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1216913435/0

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 08/15/08 at 11:30:14

Serowbot wrote on 08/15/08 at 10:45:33:
I know it may not be the safest practice, but I fill-up sitting on the bike with it upright, 'cause if I use the kickstand it will overfill when I pull it upright...

Wow...  never even thougt of the lean factor.  That would help.  But I wonder,  when you lean it back over, where does the level come to on the metal shield thingy inside the opening????

« Last Edit: 08/15/08 at 19:39:00 by T Mack 1 - FSO »  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 08/15/08 at 14:01:26

I only fill it to the bottom of the neck, upright, so it's well below that on the kickstand.  The gas needs room to expand in the tank...it should only touch the filler neck in the upright position.  I still go 120-125  miles before reserve, usually fill at 100 miles.

Now, as for that McGoofy, sounds a little goofy to me....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/15/08 at 16:09:05

I fill on the stand & let the gas come up  a bit above the rar edge of the sleeve below the cap. I stop as close to the front of the sleeve at the front as I xan. Since I put a spacer inside the cap, to shim the rubber tighter onto the rim of the tank, I dont overflow like I did. It took a few hours, but I was detrmined. Been too long to remember all of it, but I found a piece of pretty hard plasic that fit pretty close & just went for it. No way without a dremel.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #9 - 08/15/08 at 19:48:45

I solved this problem by only filling until the collar is barely contacted by gas.  I do this on the side stand.  Then, before I put the cap on, I sit on the bike and level it slowly.  I rock it from side to side a few times to "burp" the tank.  Then I put the cap on.

I ride smoothly for about the first mile or so.

End of problem.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 21:47:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gas cap woes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.