Send Topic Print
loss of power (Read 166 times)
freeindeed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

loss of power
08/13/08 at 18:31:43

I have an 04 savage with about 3 k on it. I bought it with under 500 miles in April and began riding almost constantly. I have never had a bit of trouble with it. Then went out to the garage today, it has been sitting for a week. Fire it up take off and I cant even get it out of 4th gear, top end seems to be about 45 mph. I rode it for about 20 miles thinking it might straighten out but no luck. I pulled the air cleaner, new, pulled the fuel line, free flow. Plug looked good, dark tan. While on the stand I can open the throttle all the way and it eventually revs up, it takes about 3 seconds and I can hold it there as its not really screaming. The bike is stock except that I drilled the exhaust pipe and the cover for the A/F mixture. both of those have been done some time ago. and I must say backing the screw out didn't help very much with the backfiring issue. I have been meaning to do the "white spacer" mod and perhaps there is something in the carb that will hasten the mod. Seems to have a much tamer sound. I don't think it can be electrical. It couldn't have jumped time, right? Gas doesn't go bad that fast does it? And it was fine when I parked it. If it was a 2 cylinder I would say its firing on only one. Can anyone suggest what the problem may be? Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: loss of power
Reply #1 - 08/13/08 at 18:40:30

I take it the 45 mph is at WOT.   What happens if you back-off the throttle a bit??????  Does it pick-up then slow down???

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 08/13/08 at 19:16:12

One day mine behaved that way and I found a small piece of what I presume to be hose lining material in the main jet. The one in the very bottom. Only about 2000 RPM available under a load a load, more w/o. If there is some water in the bottom of the float bowl it will do much the same. I changed the hoses out that day.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
freeindeed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/13/08 at 19:41:20

Yes, 45 at wot. Its a dog all the way through the throttle, If I back off a little on the throttle it decreases as well, no surging.
I cracked the bowl drain screw, nuttin' but clean gas.
It won't take 5th gear unless I'm going downhill.

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #4 - 08/13/08 at 19:49:20

Guesses:
1) BBQed critters in the  exhaust.
2) Try running on PRI to see if symptoms change.
3) Something interfering with pully/belt/wheel -does rear tire spin freely?

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #5 - 08/13/08 at 19:50:11

While we all tend to think fuel supply, your bike is just old enough to have a juice issue, weak battery especially after sitting for a week. Check for good ground and tight connection..then you can go back to dealing with the fuel issue, where the problem probably is. Cheesy
Could your throttle linkage have gotten out of adjustment?  Mice in the gas tank? Wink

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #6 - 08/13/08 at 19:51:07

An idea for the wise among us to ponder and judge...

With a partial tank of gasohol, could the natural heating/cooling cycle during a week of warm days and cool nights cause the tank to draw in moist air (which loses some of it's moisture to the alcohol) then vent the dried air, then repeat, until the gas gets weak from water saturation?  

That is the kind of uneducated malarkey that a friend of mine would say makes me a "pseudo-mechanic."  He would be correct.  But sometimes a shot in the dark can still hit.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #7 - 08/13/08 at 20:02:20

I'm liking the battery line. He never mentioned adding water to the battery, it could be low.

« Last Edit: 09/01/08 at 18:24:58 by Dj12midnit »  

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #8 - 08/13/08 at 23:09:33

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 08/13/08 at 19:51:07:
An idea for the wise among us to ponder and judge...

With a partial tank of gasohol, could the natural heating/cooling cycle during a week of warm days and cool nights cause the tank to draw in moist air (which loses some of it's moisture to the alcohol) then vent the dried air, then repeat, until the gas gets weak from water saturation?  

That is the kind of uneducated malarkey that a friend of mine would say makes me a "pseudo-mechanic."  He would be correct.  But sometimes a shot in the dark can still hit.

I don't think it so far fetched. I'm pretty sure I had a similar experience.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
texassavage95
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/13/08 at 23:39:28

It sure sounds like carburation. Maybe something worked its way loose inside the carb, or you sucked something up and blocked a jet. If timing skipped, I think you would have serious backfiring if you could get it to start at all. Oh yea, check the spark plug first, sometimes it is the most simple thing.

IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #10 - 08/14/08 at 08:20:38

I agree, it sounds fuel flow related somewhat - but I also get a small voice in my head saying 'I wonder if the rear brake is hanging and dragging the bike down maybe?'

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #11 - 08/14/08 at 09:07:30

Like Max, I had a partially clogged main jet one time.  The bike wouldn't go above 45 and I seem to remember it would also buck and misfire at that point.

I have also had problems with the carb slide sticking several times.  The bike would seem to lack power and wouldn't accelerate at all above a certain throttle setting.  Sometimes it would surge or misfire.  Remove the top of the carb to get at the slide.  I like to wipe it down with carb cleaner and a soft cloth.  Make sure to clean the carb bore while you are at it.  It really doesn't take much crud to cause it to stick.

IP Logged
freeindeed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/01/08 at 18:00:39

Thank you all for the responses. Replaced the plug, put it back together, no difference. Dropped in just a couple tablespoons of Lucas  injector cleaner, ran it, rode it for a mile or so, no change, I went back to my other bike knowing the next step might be pulling the carb apartbut after sitting about an hour, the additive must have cleaned out a plugged port or jet. Jumped on and it has all the power it used to. Thanks again.

IP Logged
Crotchrocket
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/01/08 at 18:54:00

Seems like a case of motorcycle jealousy to me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:53:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › loss of power

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.