Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Interesting throttle position information (Read 164 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Interesting throttle position information
08/13/08 at 17:57:28

I marked my throttle grip with masking tape the other day.  I set it up to show me when I'm at the quarter, half, three-quarter, and WOT settings.  I was interested to learn that I rarely open the throttle past 1/2.  At 70 mph, while cruising, I'm right at half.  60 mph is closer to 3/8.  80 mph is about 13/16 or so.  I did finally break 90 the other day, but I let gravity assist me a little.  That was purely a fact gathering run, and not to be construed as an unlawful action without merit or legitimate purpose.   Roll Eyes

It's probably no great revelation to some, but I think it  is illustrative of the need for proper pilot jet size.  If my bike is typical in this regard, that pilot jet is getting a lot of use, even on the back roads, and not just in town.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Interesting throttle position information
Reply #1 - 08/13/08 at 18:52:23

If the old rule is correct, saying power required goes up as the cube of speed, then half throttle gives about 80% of top speed. If top speed is about 85 mph, as suggested by some magazine tests, then half throttle is good for about 65. These are round numbers, so lets not  have somebody correct me to eight decimal places. I am also assuming that half throttle actually gives half power, which may not be correct.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 08/13/08 at 19:22:29

Back when I was learning to tune up cars using a dynamometer (1965-66) we used 10 HP load for a 55 mph cruise for a full size vehicle, this was before use of radial tires and aerodynamic styling for the most part. I also ran a vacuum gage on my own vehicles then and that was about the same manifold vacuum at 55 in top gear, level road, as the 10 HP load on the dyno. So Sandy's numbers seem correct to me as far as throttle position in % is. Next time I think of it I'll throw my Snap-on scanner on my '04 Colorado and check throttle % at cruise. But it isn't near as much as you would think. Even on the '03 Savage sidecar tug I have lots of throttle turn left at 55 with the car and passenger, certainly an extra load between the car, its windshield and its passenger. It has a AMAL carb so is direct acting rather than the CV style that comes OE on the Savage. So pilot jet, idle mixture adjustment and needle jet and needle taper and position are used most of the time. Seldom do we use the screw in main jet, mostly the press in needle jet and needle.  I do remember we used to have to change both of those parts on the B-i-L's Honda X/L 200 water changers bikes after 4 years or so as they would wear from the fuel  that went by them. May be a consideration on ours as they accumulate mileage. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 08/13/08 at 20:11:29

Coming at the thing from another direction, if you are getting 60 mpg at about 60 mph, which seems reasonable, you are burning about a gallon per hour of gas. Gas weighs about 6 lbs per gallon (the number used by aviators to figure airplane weight). A gas engine operating in the lab under really good conditions uses about .43 lbs of fuel to make one horsepower for one hour. In the real world it isn't unreasonable to assume .5 lbs per hp-hr, which is 12 horsepower hours per gallon of gas. So the Savage, burning 1 gallon per hour, is making about 12 horsepower. Magazine reviews seem to come up with about 25 horsepower for the Savage, so at 60 mph it is making about half of its available horsepower. That would imply a top speed on the order of 80 or so mph, again in reasonable agreement with the magazine top speeds of about 80-85 mph. Remember these are round numbers and approximations. It also implies total drag of about 75 lbs at 60 mph, if I didn't mess up my calculations.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/14/08 at 11:27:38

neat reply Charon

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #5 - 08/14/08 at 12:18:08

I think my head just exploded. Huh

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #6 - 08/14/08 at 13:23:42

07S40rider wrote on 08/14/08 at 12:18:08:
I think my head just exploded. Huh

Ditto that ~ my head HURTS trying to figure out that technical stuff above!  Grin

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #7 - 08/14/08 at 13:32:57

My calculator locked up. Grin Grin GrinJust went through all that in school(again).

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/14/08 at 13:46:53

I twist the grip, I smile.
Twist it more, I grin.
WOT and I laugh maniacally.

That is all I need... and this teddy bear.

WWW   IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #9 - 08/14/08 at 14:34:11

Grin Grin Grin

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #10 - 08/14/08 at 14:48:46

I think I understand  Huh

It would make sense that we're only using half of our horses at 60 and all of them at 85.  Doesnt the wind resistance about double between 60 and 80?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 15:08:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Interesting throttle position information

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.