Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Installed Suzuki windshield - not happy (Read 553 times)
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Installed Suzuki windshield - not happy
08/13/08 at 14:11:13

So I installed the suzuki brand windshield yesterday and rode it today for the first time. It definitely cut down on the wind blast to my chest but now I have a new problem. The turbulence at my helmet vibrates my helmet so much I get a headache. It also makes my visor pop from the random sideways blasts. Not good.

There's no angle adjustment and i have about 1-2" of vertical adjustment available. Really considering taking it off...

On a side note, got stuck in 2nd today. That was interesting. Came to a light and when downshifting the shifter went loose on me and when I released the clutch it stalled. Started back up and couldn't downshift any more. I realized I was in 2nd and managed to get going and then was able to access first again.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Installed Suzuki windshield - not happy
Reply #1 - 08/13/08 at 14:18:21

either lower it or raise it.

I lower mine in the summer for more wind in the face... cooler.

Raising it will move the turbulance higher over your helmet.

when you're having trouble getting into gear (most often at a stop) apply a little pressure on the shifter and let out the clutch.  It should shift into gear before it completely engages (sending you forward into the street screaming whoa big girl).  know your friction zone.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 08/13/08 at 14:26:14

If a small windshield worked Goldwings would use them

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #3 - 08/13/08 at 15:00:26

verslagen1 wrote on 08/13/08 at 14:18:21:
either lower it or raise it.

I lower mine in the summer for more wind in the face... cooler.

Raising it will move the turbulance higher over your helmet.

when you're having trouble getting into gear (most often at a stop) apply a little pressure on the shifter and let out the clutch.  It should shift into gear before it completely engages (sending you forward into the street screaming whoa big girl).  know your friction zone.

I would do that, there just isn't enough clearance between the headlight and the top of the forks to make any difference.

IP Logged
craigq
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, ON
Reply #4 - 08/13/08 at 15:39:34

I had the same results after my windshield install. I ended up removing it; as a plus I actually prefer the look of the bike without it.

2009 WR250R/X
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #5 - 08/13/08 at 15:47:45

I tried the same windshield and took it off the same day. Then I put a Memphis Fats 21" windshield and I love it. I like the looks of the bike without it but I like the ride better with it on. Only takes a minute to remove or install it once you have the brackets installed.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #6 - 08/13/08 at 16:49:13

I got a small one I can adjust vertically and also the tilt angle. The correct angle makes worlds of difference.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #7 - 08/13/08 at 18:39:22

I have the Memphis Shades Classic Deuce. It is only about 19" from the headlight cutout to the top of the shield but the angle is easily adjustable, which makes all the difference for me (and I am 6'1" tall.) There are some adjustment tips on the memphisshades.com site that might help you, even though the OEM shield is not one of theirs.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #8 - 08/13/08 at 18:56:45

Well I removed it and look at my options. I just don't see any way to adjust this one to work for me. I'll take a look at those other windshields. Perhaps one of the quick removable ones would be good to put on for trips but remove for my daily commute.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 08/13/08 at 19:27:37

Had the same problem, gave it away.  Rode a v-star with a huge windshield once that didn't buffet, other than that one,...they've all sucked, and I've rode a lot of bikes.
So now I say, if you want a windshield, buy a car...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #10 - 08/13/08 at 19:32:03

I just put an enormous slipstreamer sport shield on my bike.  We took it off Kay's GZ250 before she sold it.  I think it'll do when the cold weather hits, but it is not going to be a regular fixture next summer.  It rattles my ear drums and pisses me off in general.  I'm going to try to move it up a little, but it doesn' adjust easily.  I think it may have been Oldfeller who recommended using a sledge hammer to adjust them awhile back.  Gotta get the torque specs on that from him and give it a whirl. Smiley

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #11 - 08/13/08 at 19:33:52

I have a "Plexistar 2" from national cycle,it works perfecty,and I get better mileage with it on.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Windrider
YaBB Newbies

I KNEW I shoulda
turned left at
Albuquerque!!!

Leesburg, Virginia, USA
Reply #12 - 08/14/08 at 12:54:32

Since my windshield was destroyed, I need to find a new one. I really like the Plexfairing 3. Thanks for posting the link to national Cycle!

'98 Aztec Orange, Windshield, Seat Lift, Supertrapp, Sigma BC1106 for Trip Odometer/Gas Guage, Suzuki Saddlebags, Feildsheer Bags for Long Trips
SouthrnX   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #13 - 08/14/08 at 13:13:22

verslagen1 wrote on 08/13/08 at 14:18:21:

I had to LOL - that happened to me this week at a light - popped into gear and did a little WHeeeeee forward...squeek! (the squeek was out of ME) Shocked
Nothing like a little excitment to brightnen the day!  Cool

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #14 - 08/14/08 at 16:48:42

cowspotter wrote on 08/13/08 at 18:56:45:
Well I removed it and look at my options. I just don't see any way to adjust this one to work for me. I'll take a look at those other windshields. Perhaps one of the quick removable ones would be good to put on for trips but remove for my daily commute.

I have the same windshield, and the same problem. I am about 5'8" and the buffeting isn't too bad so long as there isn't any crosswind to speak of. However, the Washoe Zephyrs that we get out here will slap you silly in a short time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:29:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Installed Suzuki windshield - not happy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.