Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I been down...but not like this, before... (Read 751 times)
Windrider
YaBB Newbies

I KNEW I shoulda
turned left at
Albuquerque!!!

Leesburg, Virginia, USA
Re: I been down...but not like this, before...
Reply #30 - 08/15/08 at 21:08:29

Of course there are more wrecks, there are more bozo's on crotch rockets. Also more people riding because of gas prices, I'm sure.

During the first week, I wasn't sure I was going to ride or not. But on the way back from the first Dr's appointment, we passed the turn-off to the road where it happened. I had my GF take the turn, I've always felt it necessary to face my fears. As we drove down that road, I remember the turns, the houses, I was looking for the turn where the crash happened. Then I noticed something. I couldn't smell the trees, the cut grass, yes even the dead skunk. I remember just how freakin' great I felt leaning into the curves and feeling the wind on my face. Even when I was standing in the ditch, looking at the rut in the grass from my frame and the all the hand-sized pieces of my windshield that were strewn for 20 feet I knew that this was not the end.

It was what I chose to make of it. It was up to me to decide to lose the pain and learn the lesson. Yes, I will ride again, and one of my first rides will be back to that road.

I would like to have a bigger bike. I'm a pretty heavy guy and the Savage is probably a little small for me, but it was my first bike and I think I will always have this bike and enjoy riding it.

'98 Aztec Orange, Windshield, Seat Lift, Supertrapp, Sigma BC1106 for Trip Odometer/Gas Guage, Suzuki Saddlebags, Feildsheer Bags for Long Trips
SouthrnX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 08/15/08 at 21:14:00

Smiley

if you need something, don't be afraid to sing out.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #32 - 08/16/08 at 07:06:51

Windrider wrote on 08/15/08 at 21:08:29:
.... Then I noticed something. I couldn't smell the trees, the cut grass, yes even the dead skunk. I remember just how freakin' great I felt leaning into the curves and feeling the wind on my face. ....
'Swhy it is called a Cage.

Good news:  You survived and will recover.   Smiley
Bad news:  You're going to ride again.  Not being in the cage is worth the risk.  You are a Biker.   Wink
Good news:  Your body has likely learned that target fixation is bad and will likely not let you fixate the next time.   But this is not something you want to test.  Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Windrider
YaBB Newbies

I KNEW I shoulda
turned left at
Albuquerque!!!

Leesburg, Virginia, USA
Reply #33 - 08/16/08 at 12:42:24

What I need so far...

• Windshield
  • Mirrors
  • Throttle Cable
  • Adjuster for Clutch Cable (near lever on handlebars)
  • Handlebars (I may have some buried in the basement...somewhere from a '71 Kawasaki 21 I used to own but never got running)
  • Headlight Assembly
  • The thingies on the top of the Triple Tree that hold the handlebar

So far, that's about it, but I haven't tried to start it yet (prolly tomorrow) and I haven't really started taking things apart yet.

'98 Aztec Orange, Windshield, Seat Lift, Supertrapp, Sigma BC1106 for Trip Odometer/Gas Guage, Suzuki Saddlebags, Feildsheer Bags for Long Trips
SouthrnX   IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #34 - 08/16/08 at 16:39:25

This is the first time I've read your post and I'm glad you came out of it as well as you have.  On one of my first rides I was taking a corner and fixated on the curb.....how I missed it I have no clue other than God looks out for children and fools, and at my age I don't fit into the children category.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #35 - 08/30/08 at 19:28:33

Thank you for sharing your experience.  I think it can help any new or old rider that sees it, and I'm glad you are still around and willing to share it.

I am a new rider and my first time going faster than MSF class speed (parking lot course), was last Sunday morning at 9am (low traffic).   I just bought my 2001 Savage and in order to get it home, it was a difficult choice of going at twice the speed I've ever ridden at, or through heavier traffic downtown.  The whole time on the beltway, my wife was following about a block behind me and the trip was exciting but uneventful, as it had be, or else my wife would have made it impossible to keep the bike.  But she did not notice as I certainly did, when I fixated on the last elevated two-lane ramp, left-curve outside jersey wall at about 55 mph, which was the speed of the other traffic.  And the bike, I mean I, did not lean fully into the turn, so we quickly headed for the wall... it was very scary as I rolled off the throttle and leaned as much as I dared.  I didn't and I couldn't push the left handlebar into the left turn - instinct told me that I would steer into the wall...  instinct gave me brain-lock and I had NO thought or memory from class instruction of handing a fast curve.  Instinct allowed me to lean away from the wall but it also prevented me from steering into it in order to initiate or help the lean.  

It hammered home the MSF class lesson, to look where I want the bike to go, look into my turn.  And practice practice practice.  I won't be going on the highway again anytime soon, and not without a lot of curve practice.

I am NOT comparing my experience to yours and I wish you a speedy recovery.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
firetruckredbike
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 08/31/08 at 13:46:33

Windrider, I hope you are doing well this weekend.  Best wishes and soon you will be feeling that wind on your face again.
Take care,
Amy

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #37 - 09/01/08 at 07:33:03

Ero -- two quotes, the first from George Harrison:

"With every mistake we must surely be learning."

and the second from Formula 1 driver Stirling Moss:

“It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal.”

Ride safe and ride well!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Reply #38 - 09/01/08 at 08:20:17

I just got lucky doing the same thing about 30 on a turn next to a beach. Able to kick/push the bike out front and slide on my back. no real injuries, though. darn that sand. Speedy recovery and you will ride with the best of them again with more experience and skill as a rider.

IP Logged
Windrider
YaBB Newbies

I KNEW I shoulda
turned left at
Albuquerque!!!

Leesburg, Virginia, USA
Reply #39 - 09/01/08 at 20:44:50

Heya all!

Thanks for all the words of encouragement! I was surfing the forum while doing hand and wrist exercises and had to put away the green "silly putty to respond. I really miss riding and have been going crazy watching all the bikes and seeing the leaves start to change. I really hope I can get back on the road before it gets to cold!

Ero, I remember the first time I rode from the parking lot I practiced in a block down the road to get gas. I thought I was gonna die for sure. Then a few days later, I challenged myself to go out on "the 4-lane" and again, at 50mph, I was certain the end was near.

Interestingly enough, two years later, as I crossed over the edge of the road, into that ditch, my thought was "!@#$!@!! this is gonna HURT!" Not that I was gonna die. And waiting for the ambulance, I was more upset about being tied down and taped to the back-board than anything else.

I'm pondering a bigger bike. Something I can ride to Charleston, SC on. I made the mistake of sitting on a tricked-out Venture in the show room. <sigh>

SouthrnX   IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #40 - 09/02/08 at 10:20:37

Godspeed in your recovery.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 07:20:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I been down...but not like this, before...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.