Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
HELP!!  Valve/Engine Noise (Read 751 times)
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
HELP!!  Valve/Engine Noise
08/12/08 at 08:19:02

Here's the scenerio: I had a clutch put in the bike 2 weeks ago. Going in, there was no more than normal ticking noise from valve area. Bike ran good. Just was slipping a little in 3-4. Ever since I got it back, there was a loud slapping clunk when I reved engine-in gear but stopped. Sounded like lower end. And the valve ticking noise was a little louder. I took it back and he said the clutch is ok, he adjusted the cable, and he told me he couldn't hear the other noise at all. (B.S.) The oil was like thick black soup after only 30 miles. After work Friday, I went for a short spin. (5 miles at 50 mph) All of a sudden the clicking on top end of motor was very loud. Bike stalled. I barely got it started and limped home. I have adjusted the valves twice now and changed the oil, but both times, as soon as I'm done, within 2 minutes of idling, the loud clicking starts again. A short run up the alley, it stalls and sounds like I never adjusted the valves at all. All the noise is at the top, by the rockers. Is something else up in there that  may have broke or come loose that I'm not seeing?? Cam trouble? Bent valve? Hole in piston?  Undecided

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: HELP!!  Valve/Engine Noise
Reply #1 - 08/12/08 at 08:37:43

When you drain the oil are you getting out the same amount as went in?

I'd sure pull the clutch side cover and have a look at the cam chain tensioner - if they working in the area and the tensioner was on it's last click of two I can sure image it pop'n apart.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 08/12/08 at 08:40:48

Ya, the oil was right, just dirty. But if the tensioner was going bad or came apart, would that cause loud clacking up top by the valves?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 08/12/08 at 12:01:36

First pull the tank and valve adjustment covers and see if you have oil up there and in the pocket under the cam lobs. If not, I'd check in your shop manual for the oil flow to the head, seems to me it goes from the pump up along the clutch cover to a passage that goes up the right rear stud for the cylinder. If that gasket wasn't carefully and correctly installed, it could either plug or lose oil flow to the head area. If so the shop that did the clutch is on the hook. I'd suggest you get the facts diagrams etc., and then be there when they open the cover so they can see if that is the problem and not be able to accuse you of manufacturing it. If saving the oil is an issue, Lean the bike over on something soft on the left side and work on it that way. Once the cam & rocker arm area are run dry and scuff, it is impossible to stop the wear and valves won't hold their adjustment.  FWIW, the rattle in mine when the tensioner went sounded like valves. AS advised before check that when the RH cover is off. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/12/08 at 13:16:46

Any unexplaned noise I'd certainly take off the covers untill I found the culprit.  dam gremlins.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/12/08 at 15:56:37

Unexplained noises can suddenly become self explanatory noises. Big crunching sounds can come outta that thing, at the same time major parts bite into each other. I would park it & start taking stuff off till I eithe knew it wasnt a fatal issue or I found it. Use a stethoscope/screwdriver, something to listen to that thing closely before stripping it down. Take notes, unless you have a better memory than I do.Good luck.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 08/12/08 at 18:53:39

Park the bike and pull the right side cover, check the tensioner and take it from there. A bad cam chain can cause major damage to the engine. Don't ride or run the bike till you check it.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #7 - 08/14/08 at 06:45:05

Thanks for all the input. Sundays project: pull clutch cover. I'll be walking until then. Dammit. I'll keep you posted as to what I find inside. There is 11,600 original miles on the bike, so I am expecting to find the tensioner in peices, or close to it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/14/08 at 07:37:05

Thanks drum,

the last guy who asked about this noise is walking too, but we didn't get to him in time.  His motor blew.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #9 - 08/14/08 at 07:46:01

If he lives near an airport, the motor is fine.  It is those pesky gremlins...

When the clutch was replaced, you would think that whoever did it might have noted the distance tensioner was out.

I'd take it back to whoever did the work and have them see what is going on.  Maybe they left something loose in the clutch basket and it's causing the tapping.  Anyway, at least they would have to replace the clutch cover gasket instead of you...

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #10 - 08/24/08 at 09:30:49

Well, to avoid making that mistake again, I had her towed to the dealer. When told where the clutch was done, the 1st thing dealer says is " oh-oh....." They used sealer instead of gasket on the side cover. May have clogged oil galley. May have put oil pump gear on wrong. He said they would check it all out and call me if it needs anything beyond the chain, tensioner, guides and gasket. I haven't heard anything in 6 days, so I'm hoping nothing else went wrong. I would have done the work myself and saved a few bucks, but I've never been inside the motor, and figure the dealer would do a much better repair than I could. $600, including the tow. Oh well, at least I'll be able to ride some more before the snow flies.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #11 - 09/01/08 at 16:13:39

Well, got a call from the dealer the other day. Turns out, the oil filter was in backwards, some bolt that holds the clutch basket tightly on the shaft was loose, old gasket was re-used with goop sealer, and the kicker--the oil pump drive gear was put on backwards--no oil to top of motor for 50 miles I put on after clutch job. It kept stalling and cranking over real slow--may have seized the cam bearings. But he says the chain, guides and tensioner are ok. I am having them put in a new tensioner adjuster anyway--$44.00, and the folks who did the clutch job are paying for the rest of it, including the tow. The dealer is going to see if she can be saved. If not I will be getting a new motor. Hopefully before riding season is over. ( Wisconsin here ) I'm waiting out the holiday weekend for parts, and hope to have her back by Friday.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #12 - 09/01/08 at 20:47:29

Man I feel your pain. Looks like it was a good thing you towed it to the dealer.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 09/01/08 at 20:59:44

Don't waste $44 on a perfectly good tensioner.  This part goes bad only if the chain goes slack and the plunger falls out.  Just before it does that, it wiggles like crazy making it home in the housing go oval.

Lots of us here are looking for engines to play with, don't let them keep it if you can.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #14 - 09/04/08 at 13:57:04

Oops, my bad. It's the tensioner adjuster that is being replaced--with the new updated version. Not the actual tensioner. If it ends up with a new (used) motor, I certainly will retain the old one. Spare parts if nothing else.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:39:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELP!!  Valve/Engine Noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.