Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
HELP!!  Valve/Engine Noise (Read 751 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: HELP!!  Valve/Engine Noise
Reply #30 - 09/28/08 at 16:15:41

Tell 'em you want the old parts as proof of repair.

I think oldfeller wants them to test a repair technique and lancer could use the cam.

WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #31 - 09/28/08 at 22:02:27

We need to pitch in for some KY for this guy. He is getting Skeerude!!
Depending on your resources, I'd get that bike outta there before they do anything else, take photos, hire a lawyer, get a deposition from the second shop; and basically make the lives of the guys at the first shop a living hell for as long as you're able. Oh, and the news crew idea sounds like a winner too. Make sure everyone in the surrounding 5 states knows what a bunch of losers these guys are.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #32 - 09/30/08 at 18:14:27

They caused the cam journal to wear....  I'm sorry for you.  But,  if you get it back soon (2- 3wks),  you may still get a ride or two in.

Doesn't take much to kill the journal, it's only aluminum....   The salvage yard near me (east-side of PA) charged me $200 for the complete head assembly just over a year ago.   I bought my bike in pieces.   One mistake I oops on,  I didn't replace the valve guides and seals.  Now when the bike is cold I can get gray smoke on rapid acceleration.  Sad

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #33 - 10/04/08 at 11:34:18

At this point, nothing would surprise me. I'm just going to let them finish it, see what I end up with, and I'm sure he knows I'll sue him if it ain't right. Last time I talked to him he says he has a used cam, head and cover on the way. Coming early this week. I might get it back in another 2-3 weeks! I'm definately getting the old parts back. He told me the old cam was broke, so that won't do anybody any good. We'll see about the head.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 10/04/08 at 13:25:37

Drums, get your used parts back as proof the work was done.  

Lancer may be able to use the sick cam as long as the main bearing zones aren't torn up.

I would like a trashed head (both halves) to play with, to see if a repair method can be developed for the journal damage.  Having a cam (broken or not) would be helpful as well.

You are getting used parts in place of used parts, so if they are good used parts the guy should have no issue giving you the dead parts back.

If he doesn't give them back, well, you must still have them in the bike then, right?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #35 - 10/18/08 at 18:03:45

oh.....oh.....oh.....I talked to the idiots today. He says they got in the motor yesterday and are working on it today, should be ready sometime on Monday. Not sure if they're doing just the head or the whole dam thing. I'm betting Tuesday or Wednesday before it's ready, if then. Highs here are now in the low 60's-upper 50's. Gee, I won't have to stud the tires for another 3 weeks or so. I'll keep you posted as to when I get it back and if any of the old parts are available.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #36 - 10/18/08 at 20:32:33

As far as I know, no one has done this much damage to their Savage themselves. I guess you have to pay someone who knows HOW to wreck things to really do it right.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #37 - 10/25/08 at 07:35:24

Update!! Update!! I went to pick up the bike on Wednesday evening--waited, waited, dude never came out with it. I walked around back to service area, and they had the seat, tank and top covers off. I say "what's up"? He says "well, we got an oil leak". I wanted to smash his head with a 5 pound sledge. I call him back on Thursday, and he says "bolt was boogered up and we had to pull the head again and put in a helicoil". Wonderful. "Will it be done today"? Ya, it was done--5 minutes before closing--no time to drive the 20 miles to get it.
Well, miracles do happen, and I actually picked it up Saturday afternoon. 48 degree's and raining. But I got it. FINALLY !!!!!
I still need to go through the box of old parts--I'll let ya know what's all there shortly. First, I'm gonna make like a biker and RIDE for a bit.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #38 - 10/25/08 at 10:29:31

OK. I got the upper and lower pieces of the head, a couple gears, 2 top covers, and a bunch of bolts. Cam was literally broke in 1/2. The cam journals are deeply scored. I may tear down the head and save the valves and stuff--not sure if they're any good or not. Ah, hell. Who do you know wants a head? No charge--you pay shipping. I think Old Feller wanted it for repair testing? Let me know.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:27:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELP!!  Valve/Engine Noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.