Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
HELP!!  Valve/Engine Noise (Read 751 times)
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Re: HELP!!  Valve/Engine Noise
Reply #15 - 09/04/08 at 14:05:04

Forum members who live in your area might be interested in what circus dealership you took it to originally so they can avoid similar bad experiences.  Care to say who it was the dorked it up in the first place?

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #16 - 09/04/08 at 18:36:49

Make sure the dealer checks the cam journal.

There are NO Cam bearings and the cam rides on a film of oil on bare aluminum....  Low oil Press or bad oil can cause damage.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 09/04/08 at 23:22:40

I most likely wouldnt say too much publicly about a place that SAID theyd pay for it. Not today, anyway..  Grin

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #18 - 09/06/08 at 20:59:46

Ace Motorsports in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
The dealer where it is being fixed is Schauer Motorsports in Union Grove, Wisconsin.
I assume he will check the cam journal. I had told him that it was cranking slow and stalling.  He said he would let me know if any further damage is found--I haven't heard anything yet. I think he's still waiting for parts. If there is additional damage,  Ace pays for new motor, or I take Ace to court. Simple as that.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 09/07/08 at 07:08:04

You know, after years on this list I can count the times we collectively have screwed up our own bikes to any small degree when working on them on one hand.

Yet there have been DOZENS of dealership "mechanics" who have trashed our new members bikes to some degree in the same time period.   The 600 mile required warranty servicing (fairly detailed and internally invasive) seems pretty popular for trashing the bolt access seal, etc.   Not the first backwards oil filter we have heard about either, eh?

I can remember back when I was in college I worked at Honda of Raleigh as an assembly mechanic (putting together new bikes).  My qualifications?  They knew I had torn down a CB160 to the cases and put it back together with new parts I bought while working in the Parts Dept as a gofer.   If I was willing to work 40 hrs a week, I could have been a "mechanic", given the easy jobs to do.  

I wonder what the requirements are now?    Hmmmmm ....

When we forget to record our steps or take a pic or baggie the stuff in order when we work on our own bikes, we consult manuals and ASK THE QUESTIONS here on the list before bulling on ahead.  

A bike "mechanic" knows he only has 2.3 hours to get the job done, and by god he gets it done inside 2.3 hours ....  goop on top of old gasket and filter in backwards and oil pump gear in backwards and anything else it takes to get it back together, quick.

===============================

Imagine the bullshit they are going to do to that bike to fake up (cover up) the torn-up cam bearings in the head issues and spauled camshaft lobes and gouged out rocker arms and anything else they actually find inside that bike.

Bet they put some real heavy weight oil back in it,  what'cha think?

If they put the oil filter in backwards, they would have stress cracked the oil filter cover -- you should be able to see the circular crack in the center of the triangular oil filter cover if  you look close.  The spud with the "O" ring in the back of the recess will be totally trashed too, since it got crammed in against the bypass valve and crunched.

If they are honest, they will buy you a good used motor with equivalent miles on it as that is the CHEAPEST way to do right by you.   You ran that bike for 50 miles with NO OIL PRESSURE AT ALL -- no lube at all to lots of critical bearings and components.

But then, "doing right by you" doesn't seem to be their main interest in life, does it?

===============================

Who does pro-bono (free community service) legal work in your community?  Find out and have a quick talk with them.  Do you have a news channel that has a "Channel 5 on your side" feature -- talk to these media story hungry people, they swing tremendous clout in these situations.

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #20 - 09/12/08 at 10:57:50

Well, I got the bad news from the dealer the other day. He got the new tensioner adjuster in and a gasket and made sure oil was flowing to top of motor. Unfortunately, it still has a loud knock. I let the guy at Ace know, and he was supposed to call the dealer to ok the teardown work. He has not called as of this morning, and is amazingly out of town until Monday.  Shocked Imagine that!  I told his second in command to tell him that if he doesn't contact the dealer on Monday, he will be hearing from my lawyer on Teusday. I guess I will have to wait and see what's going to happen now. I assume I'm done riding for this season. 5 weeks ago.....

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #21 - 09/12/08 at 13:55:09

Hmmmmm did the dealer say they checked the CAM too???  

Checking the cam is a real pain in the butt, so I would not be surpirsed if they didn't.  it's not hard,  jsut a bunch of little steps to do.

tank off, chorme cvrs off, top eng mount off,
 Decompression linkage off,  bunch of botls,  
puzzle the head cover off (twist this way and
that till the right combination clears the frame).  

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #22 - 09/12/08 at 16:05:23

The dealer said he would tear down motor and check everything--fixing whatever it needs. But he won't start until the guy from Ace gives his ok, since he's the one paying for it. Dealer doesn't want to get stuck if Ace backs out. Cam, rockers, valves, whatever it takes. Dealer said based on what he's seeing and hearing, it will probably cost around 7-800, but won't know for sure 'till teardown. May be more. We shall see.....

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #23 - 09/24/08 at 16:39:03

well here's the latest. apparently, the dealer doesn't want to work on it either. it's being towed back to the idiots that messed it up in the 1st place. i'm sure he'll schmooze it back together with some thick oil and sawdust and send me on my way. i guess i'm gonna end up sueing somebody. either way i'm done riding for this year. i'll be lucky if i get the darn thing back by christmas. and i'm sure it will never be right or never be the same as it was before. i like the bike and all but this is rediculous. i want to ride, not pull my hair out for 1/2 the summer. maybe it's time for a harley.......

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 09/24/08 at 17:24:14

You need a box of parts. Everything they replace, to see the damage. If they try to replace the head cover due to cam journal damage, they have to replace the head. Mark some bolts with a tiny punch, etc, to know what all they took apart. Any way you can put anything across the cases to know if they split the cases? maybe somekinda mix of gasket materials, odd color, across the bottom?

If they are smart( we KNOW this one, dont we?) they'll buy a used motor & be done with this nightmare.

Put the filter in Bakkerds? HOW??? Wouldnt be easy. Slap a flat plate against a spigot? Expecting What Igzakleee?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 09/24/08 at 17:31:51

another thing to watch for is a blow out in the oil filter cover.  It's been done.

WWW   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #26 - 09/25/08 at 08:26:30

it went straight from the dealer to the idiots, so i have no way of marking anything. yes, the oil filter was in back-asswards. the dealer showed me it and it was dented in. i'm surprised it didn't blow the filter cover off, except that the oil pump drive gear was on back-asswards too. the idiots still deny this, saying the clutch basket was never removed. can the disks and springs be replaced without removing the basket?
as far as the used motor, that would seem to be the way to go--but i have a new clutch and a new tensioner-adjuster in the old engine. would they be changed over? would it be done correctly? i seriously doubt it. also, the old motor has only 11,600 miles on it. would i get a motor with as few miles on it, or some old dog with 40 or 50k on it? who knows, and they'd probably lie about that too.  it's a nightmare. and i can't seem to wake up.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 09/25/08 at 10:46:18

You would need to find the motor, then the place you get it from can tell you the miles on it, then they can call & buy it.

I would be there when the work was done on the clutch swap.

If the dealership says the gear was backwards & these idiots put the filter in backwards, they have zero credibility to argue against the word of the dealer mechanics. IOdiots, lying to cover their butts? Ever happen? Hekk, ever NOT happen?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #28 - 09/25/08 at 12:18:56

drums1 wrote on 09/25/08 at 08:26:30:
..................... can the disks and springs be replaced without removing the basket? ...........

Yes they can........ .... and basket can be removed without removing  the oil pump gear.  

but..... replaceing cam chian requires removing stuff.....

---
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #29 - 09/28/08 at 15:50:56

oh it gets good now.....idiots finally got it back in their shop--he was going to readjust the valves and adjust the decomp solenoid. he says that was loose too, and may cause some of the noise. I called him at 3:00 and he tells me "sorry but I have no good news for you. It needs a new cam and head and head cover. My guy is looking for one right now." wonderful. so, how long now, another 2-3 weeks? he says ya something like that. I was going to ask if he would mind just storing it over winter and I'll pick it up in April.  Maybe it would be done by then and not below freezing outside. needless to say.................

Angry-- Angry-- Angry-- Angry-- Angry-- Angry-- Angry-- Angry-- Angry-- Angry-- Angry-- Angry

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:26:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELP!!  Valve/Engine Noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.