Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What's the Best DIAGNOSTIC Tach for Our Bikes? (Read 408 times)
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: What's the Best DIAGNOSTIC Tach for Our Bikes?
Reply #15 - 08/16/08 at 21:17:20

My old garage sale Snap-on inductive tach works on the 2-cycle position, however the spark plug door must be off so the inductive clamp will fit the wire. I can also use it with the IV drip gasoline bottle when the tank is off. I also have a wand fly swatter type tach I think I got from Northern tool that has a pickup you just get near the plug wire. There are shop type use not permanent. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #16 - 08/17/08 at 08:30:45

Digger:

I did get a very basic tech data sheet, and a dimensioned drawing, but no real installation instructions. I have it working now and it is great. Here's what I did.

Fortunately, the wiring is really simple. I placed the LCD unit on the left side handlebars at the mirror mount. Just run the positive lead down along the existing wiring harness to the spark plug wire, give it about 3-5 tight wraps around the outside of the plug wire, and then wrap electrical tape around the wraps to hold it tight. Take the other wire and run it to the battery negative or some convenient ground point.

Sounds easy,but it's the access that is a pain. I first tried to see if I could get a couple good wraps on the plug wire by reaching under the gas tank with my skinny fingers. Then I pulled the plug wire out and of course I was able to wrap it nicely, but then I could not get the darn plug wire re-seated on the spark plug.  So I took off the seat, gas tank..you know the drill.

Anyway, this allowed me to do a better job of running the wires.  Soon as I had it all back together it fired right up and worked like a charm.  I have it taped in place as I have not decided how I will permanently attach it to the handlebars.  

Incidentally, I went for a one hour ride in an area you probably know very well. Headed up to Titusville, thru the KSC complex area, past the Astronaut Hall of fame, the VAB,  back thru Merritt Island, then US1 back to Melbourne.  

Good luck with the install. Worth every penny of the $25 to have accurate RPMs and an hour meter.  Cool

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #17 - 08/17/08 at 20:14:18

Ess,

I appreciate the info.  I did not plan to install the tach on the bike, but I may have to if access to the plug wire is that much of a pain.

We'll see.....

Yep, I've done a little time at The Cape.  Left there in a real hurry once!

Ride safe, good luck with the oncoming storm (that is a part of southern living I don't miss)!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #18 - 08/19/08 at 10:05:26

Digger wrote on 08/17/08 at 20:14:18:
Ess,

I appreciate the info.  I did not plan to install the tach on the bike, but I may have to if access to the plug wire is that much of a pain.

We'll see.....

Yep, I've done a little time at The Cape.  Left there in a real hurry once!

Ride safe, good luck with the oncoming storm (that is a part of southern living I don't miss)!

Digger:

Your best access for a temporary rig would be from under the front of the gas tank. There is enough play in the wire to get a few wraps of the positive around it, and then you could just twist the leading and tailing ends to hold it on for a few minutes while you take readings. Try it before you pull off the seat & tank. I wanted a permanent solution and I needed tight wraps and lots of electrical tape  so I had to go the more complex route.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #19 - 08/19/08 at 22:13:43

Ess,

Yep, I saw that, thanks!

My plan is to get the sensor wire in place, ride the bike to warm it up, then hook up the tach unit to properly (for once) set the idle speed.

Cheers!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #20 - 08/20/08 at 10:15:45

Tach is velcro'd to a T shaped piece of aluminum which is boltes under the mirror cinch nut. The Sigma is also velcro'd on top of the suzuki emblem on the top trippleclamp. I feel the velcro mounting reduces vibration dammage to the units. Ground on the tach is one of my windscreen bolts. Pick up for the Sigma is popriveted on a L shaped piece of aluminum (See Pict). Magnets are from Radioshack (earthmagnets, (2) on top of each other) and are NOT glued. Visible just under the mount.        

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 05:18:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What's the Best DIAGNOSTIC Tach for Our Bikes?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.