Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Have I found the problem? (Read 210 times)
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Have I found the problem?
08/11/08 at 16:17:16

The bike rode fine this evening to go and get the mail and animal food.

When I got back I noticed something. Under the master cylinder there is a  small tube with 2 wire ends to it. It comes out of the throttle tube. The picture is fuzzy but it's the smaller black housing coming around the big black housing in the center. The ends go into that yellowish rubber piece under the master cylinder. Don't you just love my technical descriptions?

Well it turns out only one of those wires is connected! And since my bike cuts out when I throttle down to make a turn or stop could this be the problem?

I tried to look up what the wires are in Clymers but I can't tell what it is!! I don't read electrical diagrams well if I don't know what it is in the first place. Wire to the starter switch or the kill switch? Or brake light?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Have I found the problem?
Reply #1 - 08/11/08 at 16:41:21

not 100% sure, but I think that's your brakelight.  One way to find out is unplug it again and see what quits working...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #2 - 08/11/08 at 16:52:29

No, it definitely comes out of the housing that holds the ignition switch and the kill switch so it's got to be related to one or both of those.

I'm thinking the bike is stopping because the on/off switch is disconnecting itself.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/11/08 at 17:02:54

Then maybe you've found it!  Start the bike, then pull the wires and see if she dies, if she does, presto you've got it.  You can clean the wire contacts with a pencil eraser or some rubbing alcohol on a q-tip.  Ignition key off for cleaning of course...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #4 - 08/11/08 at 17:05:28

my guess is the kill switch. Every time you cause the bar to jerk (turn, decelerate or brake), that wire shorts. Just a guess - this big one cylinder does not decelerate smoothly.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #5 - 08/11/08 at 17:32:50

Looks like this might be it!! That one wire being halfway out  could cause it to short although it ran fine with the wire completely out because that's how it was when I got home.

The housing for each wire though has an opaque robber piece over it. When it slips off there is a flat metal piece ticking up with a hole at the top on the side. I assume that's where the end of the wire goes in. I pushed it back in but I can tell it will easily come back out again. it must go some other way but I can't see it - the other tube is in the way. The other wire is in tight.

For right now I guess I'll put a piece of electrical tape on it until I can get someone to look at it.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #6 - 08/11/08 at 17:45:08

What color is/are the wire(s)?

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #7 - 08/11/08 at 17:53:44

Ones black the other red. The black one was out.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/11/08 at 22:33:39

What happens when the black one rubs against the handlebars? Maybe thats the "KILL" part of the killswitch, grounding the ignition.. ? I guess a smart fella would run to the sho[p & grab the book, but its 12:30 & I dont feel THAT smart!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #9 - 08/11/08 at 22:41:02

Hmmm,this is sounding so much like what I was describing weeks ago. Huh

Sorry,if you'd been a guy I would be rubbing it in also,I can't be partial  Huh Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #10 - 08/11/08 at 23:24:30

the little wires with rubber caps go into the brake switch, which sets off the rear light when the circuit is complete.  The larger black wire bundle should be attached to your controls and kill switch.

you'll probably find that your front brake doesn't set off the light.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #11 - 08/12/08 at 02:50:58

That's probably it Robert. Back to the carb for this one.

They need an idiot's  guide to Clymers since there aren't enough pictures saying this is what t his does. It's fine if you already know this stuff but hard if you are trying to learn it.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #12 - 08/12/08 at 09:57:40

Since I've had my MC,I have found alot of local guys that ride,several riding groups and even a nice guy or two to ask my dumb questions Smiley

There is usually always somebody around that rides and through the ones you find, you can pick out the nice guys that are willing to help,show you things.

If you live in a big town(too many people),go for a ride in a close by smaller town.

Just a thought Smiley

I'm wondering though...surely there arent more riders here than in other towns Undecided I only have experience here(my town) though with this.

I think SW found a local guy at a garage to help her one time with her electrical problem. He fixed it for free.(I think she broke down across the street from the garage)

I found a really helpful nice guy at a local "Abate" meet right after getting my bike. That's another idea.

It is lots easier when you can see ,in person,what they're talking about Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Eole72
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/12/08 at 11:57:25

Hi

I left my bike sitting under a tarp for 2 weeks while i was in vacation and when i came back i coulndt start it! I removed the battery to find thaty the juice was low. So i added water, charged it and tried again. Now, i get my lights but when i press the start button i get nothing, not even a click from a relay... nothing!

I tried to troubleshoot the wires under the seat, the swtiches . I just cant figure it oiut! i beleive there is a relay and selenoid under the gaz tank... if so, is there anything you suggest me to do before i remove the gaz tank? Is there a step by step guide somewhere on what to do to remove the gaz tank?

any help would be appreciated ! i want to ride next week-end!!! :S

Thank

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #14 - 08/12/08 at 12:05:41

Did you check the run/no run switch on the RH handle bar? Is it in gear with the kickstand down? Also are the battery connections clean and tight for sure. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:23:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Have I found the problem?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.