Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New grips (Read 135 times)
bacon13
YaBB Newbies

Minnesota
New grips
08/11/08 at 16:07:23

I bought a new pair of grips and started to put them on. I then realized the right side grip didn't come with the throttle connector plastic thingy. It never came to mind to look for this when I bought the new ones.

Can I slide the new grip over the throttle sleeve and then put it on the bike? How should I do this? Buy new grips that have the connector attached?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: New grips
Reply #1 - 08/11/08 at 16:34:39

"throttle connector plastic thingy"...not clear what you mean.

if you mean the white plastic tube, 4-5" long, that is the throttle.  Slide the grip over that.  Just make sure the throttle moves freely once installed.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bacon13
YaBB Newbies

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 08/11/08 at 17:47:11

I mean the plastic part that the throttle cable attaches to. Mine is black. Can I take the stock rubber grip off the tube and then put the new grip over the old tube? Seems like it would be really tight when I put the throttle tube back on. I already have the left new grip on and it is only part way on......got stuck for now.

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #3 - 08/11/08 at 18:07:43

The inside diameter of one of your grips should be bigger to accept sliding over the throttle sleeve.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/11/08 at 18:26:39

It should be tight, you don't want those things slipping off!  
Use some rubbing alcohol to install or remove, it will give you about 10 or 15 seconds to slip them on easily, then dry completely with no residue..

IP Logged
bacon13
YaBB Newbies

Minnesota
Reply #5 - 08/11/08 at 18:32:13

Is it normal to buy grips without the throttle sleeve included or already mounted in the grip? Mine came with two that are identical with no throttle sleeve or attachment point.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 08/11/08 at 18:44:08

no throttle sleeve, but the throttle side grip should be bigger i.d. than the clutch side. If yours are both identical i.d. you have the wrong grips, they won't fit or work.  Send them back.

IP Logged
bacon13
YaBB Newbies

Minnesota
Reply #7 - 08/11/08 at 21:17:21

Thanks Serowbot, I'll check them tomorrow for i.d. bigger on one.

IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #8 - 08/12/08 at 10:41:54

You might have to shave the spines off the throttle sleeve.  I had to for the grips I put on (see sig).

Incidentally, this morning I noticed the super glue I used on the left grip came loose and I can twist it with some force.   Undecided

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #9 - 08/12/08 at 11:14:40

I don't know of any grips that come with that throttle plastic?  It is not sold separately from the grip to my knowledge.  I usually go through bikebandit.com and I know that they don't sell it separately.

I have found that dish soap works quite well for getting those grips on.  As the grips heat up the dish soap will dry and actually turn a little sticky to help prevent slippage.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
bacon13
YaBB Newbies

Minnesota
Reply #10 - 08/13/08 at 17:08:55

Thanks everyone for your input. I already put the left grip on before I posted this thread. I put it on without any lube so I have it almost all the way on. I don't have a rubber mallet so I made my own version but it started to dent in the end cap. Not sure what I'm gonna do no that side.

I couldn't get the rubber off the old grip so I cut it off. I wanted to keep it in case I didn't like my new ones but oh well. I was able to get the new grip over the throttle sleeve by coating the inside of the grip with my kids bubble soap/mix....worked like a charm.

Oh yeah, in the time it took me to take the old grips off, post a few times here and work on it the next day, I lost one of the screws to the on/off switch and throttle cable housing. I checked with the local Suzi dealer and found this screw is discontinued......go figure.

Anybody know the specs on this screw or how to find a replacement?

Man, who would've thought this would be such a pain in the %ss. It took me less time to put in my catseye taillight and new rear blinkers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 07:15:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New grips

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.