Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
air/fuel mixture screw approach (Read 199 times)
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

air/fuel mixture screw approach
08/11/08 at 10:37:02

Broke off the tip of a screw in the little hole in the brass plug covering up the air/fuel mixture screw in my first little attempt to get to it.  Was wondering if I can just put some jb weld on the head of a screw and on the plug and stick 'em together and pull.  Bad idea?

2005 S40. Dyna muffler. 12.5 Prog Shocks. Socket risers.
  IP Logged
NWAPhoenix
YaBB Newbies

Respect all, Fear
none.

Northwest Arkansas
Re: air/fuel mixture screw approach
Reply #1 - 08/11/08 at 11:28:13

I drilled mine out.  Started with a small bit and worked up a size at a time.  Only took about a minute maybe two.  Just be careful and don't go too deep.

James
NWAPhoenix hot_stang_guy79   IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/11/08 at 11:59:46

so that little screw tip won't give me any trouble?  I was worried that with that in there giving my some extra length, trying not to go too deep would be impossible.  By the way, how deep is too deep?

Also, don't have a drill - but I'm sure I could get ahold of one - hence my initial interest in the JB Weld

2005 S40. Dyna muffler. 12.5 Prog Shocks. Socket risers.
  IP Logged
shadowman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern Virginia
Reply #3 - 08/11/08 at 12:12:43

I just did mine and as I recall, if you have gone 1/8" you are in the danger zone.  The brass plug is softer than steel, so you can take it real slow and back out every few seconds until you penetrate.  You might also start with a very small pilot hole to guage the depth and then re-drill with something just smaller than your sheet metal screw.  With luck, it's a 60 second job.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/11/08 at 13:48:26

Some have boogered this up and screwed it up so bad as to not be able to adjust the screw ever again.

So while I know I could do it, ask yourself, man w/o a drill can you handle it?

If you can, get yourself a drill, an 1/8" drill stop.

With that broken off screw tip in there it complicates the issue.  I'd drill that out 1st.  Harbor Freight sells a really crappy 1 use only set of mini carbide drills.  Go at it with the smallest you can handle and incrementally go up in size till that tip is removed.  You might want a dremel to do it.

OK? tip removed?  Chuck up an 1/8" drill, slip the 1/8" collar on and set the drill depth to 1/8".  lightly drill to the depth of the stop.  A little wd40 don't hurt.  If the drill grabs, it might even spin out the plug for you.

Any who, don't be in a hurry, take a sip o'beer once in a while.

That tip broke off cause not enough of the body engaged to take the torque you were using.

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 08/11/08 at 19:57:16

Why wouldn't his idea work?  I've never used JB weld, but if it'll stick to brass, you could glue a volkswagon bumper to that plug and then just drive away, pulling it right out.  That might be a lot safer than drilling and screwing anyway.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 08/12/08 at 05:06:35

If just the "tip" of the pilot air adjusting screw has broken off and is still down inside the carb body and are trying to get it out ... DO NOT DRILL .  
Use air pressure, or water power jet, pressure washer; anything but a drill to get the tiny piece out.

If you drill there is always the chance that the carb will be damaged and if so then you can just chunk it into the trash can, because there is no repair for that kind of damage.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 08/12/08 at 05:14:21

Unless I'm mistaken, Josh is talking about using a new screw, turning it around, and gluing the head to the plug.  Then he will have a handle for pulling.  I say try it once, Josh.  The worst that can happen, as I see it, is that you pull and the screw pops off.

Just be sure not to get any JB Weld on the carb body.  You don't want to glue the plug in.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 08/12/08 at 05:17:41

Jb gets real strong I think it will work.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 08/12/08 at 06:02:04

I stand corrected; I did not read the first statement fully and jump off the wrong end of the board.

IP Logged
NWAPhoenix
YaBB Newbies

Respect all, Fear
none.

Northwest Arkansas
Reply #10 - 08/12/08 at 11:11:55

LANCER wrote on 08/12/08 at 05:06:35:
If just the "tip" of the pilot air adjusting screw has broken off and is still down inside the carb body and are trying to get it out ... DO NOT DRILL .  
Use air pressure, or water power jet, pressure washer; anything but a drill to get the tiny piece out.

If you drill there is always the chance that the carb will be damaged and if so then you can just chunk it into the trash can, because there is no repair for that kind of damage.

The way I read it I thought he had used a sheet metal screw in the plug in an attempt to pull it out and that was what broke.  As a tip, when I drilled mine I went very slowly and as each larger bit grabbed it actually twisted the plug out.  Go slow and only let the drill make a few turns on each size bit.

James
NWAPhoenix hot_stang_guy79   IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #11 - 08/13/08 at 05:46:49

General information:  The orfice/hole that the brass plug fits in is, on my 07, 1/4 inch deep from the rim to the top of the mixture screw. The brass plug is 1/8" thick. That gives you 1/8 of an inch to play with. Going slow, mine came out with little effort.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 08/13/08 at 06:13:48

On the Savage/S40, it is easy. There is almost unobstructed access to the screw cover plug. On my Kawasaki 250 Ninja the carburetors have to be removed to even get access. Of course, if I had one of those handy little drills dentists use, I could have done it easily.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 08/13/08 at 10:49:57

Clean the brass  up, so the JB weld will stick, same with bolt head. IF the edge looks like it will force JBweld onto the cast aluminum, put a little oil on what isnt to be glued, just dont let it run to where you need the metal clean. I mean, clean, like sandpaper, files, clean, Not just soap & water clean. A dremel to cut the broken screw down flush would be good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:14:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › air/fuel mixture screw approach

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.