Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What are the Positives of owning a Savage/S40? (Read 503 times)
hdblueangel
YaBB Newbies

One Day at a Time

South Florida
What are the Positives of owning a Savage/S40?
08/10/08 at 22:47:15

I bought a used 2007 S40 with about 3000 miles on it and haven't had any real problems with it.  It did run like it didn't have any gas once, but I think that was because I let someone ride it around a parking lot and he kept stalling it out.

Anyway, before I bought my bike I did some research and decided the S40 was for me.  Figured it was pretty reliable since it's been around for about 20 years, but reading so many posts about problems I'm wondering if I made a mistake.  Or maybe many of the problems happen after people change something in the carburator or something, or some of the bikes are older.  

I don't know, but I sure don't want to stall out while on the entrance ramp to I95.  

I would appreciate your comments.  I really like my bike and plan on it being my last one since I'm not getting any younger or taller.

HD

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: What are the Positives of owning a Savage/S40?
Reply #1 - 08/10/08 at 22:55:57

Hi,I was worried when I first came into the forum also....It scared me to say the least...LOL...as far as problems. But...dont worry,its not that bad Wink
I think some have bought older bikes that maybe werent taken care of previously.
And yes,some of the problems I think are due to some of the mods.
I have had no problems with my bike and its a 2002. I also think the previous owner took care of mine.
I have only had to replace a battery...and do the routine maintenance.

So,dont worry! Many here dont have problems Wink
But I can certainly relate to your first impressions Smiley

I have 2 girlfriends with Savages,well one is a previous owner of a Savage...and they love their bikes...no major problems at all.

Plus,alot of the guys just love working on their bikes,changing things,etc.

Just do the routine maintenance and learn a lttle here,what to watch out for,have a good mechanic or someone to do the RM and you'll be fine! Plus your bike is near new Smiley

Happy Riding!!

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
hdblueangel
YaBB Newbies

One Day at a Time

South Florida
Reply #2 - 08/10/08 at 23:07:01

Thanks, FreeSpirit, your reply made me feel better because I sure have fun riding it! Smiley
HD

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #3 - 08/10/08 at 23:08:13

Plus,our bikes are so easy to work on,you may want to learn to do the work yourself!
But if not,like I said,have a good person lined up to keep it in good shape Smiley

(I've been in the forum a year now)

Your welcome! Just keep having Fun Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/10/08 at 23:42:16

There is a rule in engineering that states," mechanical sophistication leads to unreliability."  The more parts a mechanical device has, the more likely it is to malfunction as a whole assembly.  Your Savage is mechanically unsophisticated compared to other multi-cylinder motorcycles.  Its solid state electronics are reliable, and by design eliminate various moving parts which would require maintenance.  The drive belt is another reliable improvement over chain drive.

It has few design problems, those most noticeably the "Plug-Cap" oil leak and the vacuum petcock valve.  These are fixed somewhat easily, and there are detailed instructions in the tech section.  The seat is often considered to be uncomfortable, and there are many mods explained on this site to resolve that issue.

Many of the problems you may be reading about are because owners decide to take a very reliably engineered motorcycle and change the design.  You don't have to do these design alterations unless you insist on a little more power or want raise the decibel level of the exhaust noise.  If you just leave the bike alone and don't try to re-engineer it, and if you service it according to the owner's manual, you won't have any nagging problems.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #5 - 08/11/08 at 00:41:12

The Savage (for that is what we've all agreed to call it, regardless of Suzuki's rebadging) is an extremely reliable machine. I too had some reservations when I first joined this site, but have since realized that a good many of the problems that other owners experience are self-induced. As Gort mentioned, they change a designed engineering element, and then pay the price for it in unreliable operation. Also, as was previously mentioned, some of the bikes were simply not properly cared for by their previous owners. Do the routine PM and you should be fine. It's a great bike. Easy to own, easy to operate, easy to maintain, and easy to repair on the rare occasions when it is required.
The only thing you really need to worry about is the cam chain adjuster (you'll find plenty of references to it in the forum), but it shouldn't cause you any worries for another 10,000 miles or so.
Enjoy the bike. Have fun!

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 08/11/08 at 02:57:03

The easy way to avoid most of the "fuel issues" you see on this list is to put gas into your tank at every 100 mile roll-over of the odometer.  This always maintains "some gas" in the tank to avoid all petcock and fuel starvation issues that are mentioned every few days.  

These issues are nothing but variations of running out of gas and having problems getting the petcock system reprimed.  So don't do that and you won't have to go there.

If your bike runs fine with gas in the tank, you don't need to worry about all the "crudded up carburetor" threads that you keep reading on the list -- your carb is fine if it runs good normally.

I put gas in my bike every Saturday -- this habit plus the habit of watching the odometer on the trips avoids all this nonsense.

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/11/08 at 04:56:38

I wonder what the results of the alcohol in the gas will be. I know I was reading the Suzuki book last week & it stated that it was okay to run less than 10%, the pump says 10% & I suspect there may be a tad more. Why? Cuz I am a SUSpishyuss cuss thats why! So, I am waiting to see what it does, whatever it is, We can handle it.
I,too, saw all the "Its busted" threads & got worried. I'va had some hassles, one electrical gremlin that seems to have sorted itself out, but overall, its been solid & fun. Some folks find one thats been sitting for a couple of years & go to work & suffer some pretty time consuming hassles, some run low on oil & suffer BIG problems, but the average rider has to maintain it, check & adj. valves, mess with brakes & tires & put gas in it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #8 - 08/11/08 at 05:28:55

I bought my '05 new last year (was sitting in the showroom for 2 years so they gave me a great deal on it).  Other than the backfiring problem (which I HATED), it never gave me any problems whatsoever.  I learned to ride on it and fell in love with motorcycles.  When did I start having problems? .... when I started messing with it!!!!

I put on a new muffler and that caused me to have to rejet and put in a better air filter.  I STILL don't have it tuned it right and I've worked at it for 6 months!  Then I had to do the speedo rattle mod, the headlight rattle mod, the seat mod, white spacer mod, etc.

The point is for your own sanity, LEAVE IT ALONE.  No matter how good an idea on here may sound, if you bought your bike new, LEAVE IT ALONE!  Save yourself, it's too late for me.  :'(

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #9 - 08/11/08 at 05:37:42

Pretty much any vehicle forum you go to is going to have lots of posts about problems, hashing them out, solving them, making them out to be more than they are, and revisiting them everytime someone asks a question. This is what people use the forums for. There are also lots of people who visit this forum and don't talk about not having problems. They may talk about everything but MC's but they are still out there riding. Unfortunately there are also trolls who go around and look at forums and decide what the "hot" buttons are to push and start threads just to see the effect, these threads (and there are a bunch of them) will make it seem like there are more problems that actually exist.

The Savage has its shortcomings, and you have to decide whether or not it is a "fit" for you and your riding style, but reliability is not one of them. I agree with your thought that some people cause their own problems (or inherit them) by tinkering with the Savage trying to make it something it wasn't intended to be. I'm not saying it can't be done, (and some people have built supreme examples of what the Savage can be) just that getting more hp is more involved that just re-jetting and removing the white spacer.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 08/11/08 at 05:51:51

If the bike is running, you will not see people posting HELP requests  Wink.  They are too busy riding  Grin.  You might see then in the CAFE or offering advice (like me).   I think if the bike has it's regular maintenance, it should run a long time.  

Another thing to think about.  The bike has been build since 1986.  If there was an issue, Suzuki would discontinued manufacturing it.   Easier to do that then face liability.

The local salvage yard here in East-Side PA only has 2, an 87 & a 86 (or was it a 88 & a 86..  Huh).  The yard is only about 40 miles from Philly, so it's in a populated area....  The one had a loose head (finger tight head nuts), but he couldn't find anything else wrong (other than the rust from sitting in the yard).  So, if the bike has been made for 22 years, why aren't there more in the salvage yards???   If they died, they would end up there.   IMO, I think people just upgrade and put the LS650 in the back of the barn/shed .....

Keep an eye open in 2011, that's the year the bike becomes an antique.  Antigues get pulled from the back of the shed, dusted off and sold....

Wouldn't that be a picture....  You're shiny new S40 pulling into a event and parking next to a shiny Savage that looks almost identical to yours....  with antique plates on it..  Cheesy   Cool

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/11/08 at 06:34:55

Hd:  Great Question and great answeres also!  I'm a fairly new S40 owner and I have had nothing but fun on my bike.  I have added cosmetic mods only and plan to keep the mechanics alone so i'm sure that with timely maintenance my bike should last a long fun time.   Grin

IP Logged
shadowman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern Virginia
Reply #12 - 08/11/08 at 17:03:26

Your question solicited comments on the positive attributes of the Savage.  Interesting that the initial responses focused on the well-known (and, IMHO, quite manageable) maintenance issues.  

Here's a positive:  the way it looks. There are a lot of fine looking bikes out there, and this is one of 'em.  First time I saw one in the flesh I was hooked.  The torque, the maneuvaribilty, the affordabilty and ease of maintenance are frosting.

IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #13 - 08/11/08 at 17:44:22

The positive - all the good people here on this list.

It doesn't get any better.

Well except for a gorgeous day like today on the Savage tootlin' down the highway.

IP Logged
nhgader
YaBB Newbies

O2BME

Alton, NH
Reply #14 - 08/11/08 at 19:00:45

I bought my '08 in May and absolutely love it. Its simplicity is what I think makes it such a great looking bike. I get compliments and questions about it almost every time I ride it. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do!

Kim

2009 Silver S40- Stock
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 19:46:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What are the Positives of owning a Savage/S40?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.