Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Thinking outloud about maintenance (Read 313 times)
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Thinking outloud about maintenance
08/10/08 at 11:01:12

First off I want to thank everyone here. You are ALL wonderful. I have earmarked part of the paycheck to get the Alliance membership since I am here more than the mechanics and it's because you all are the best.

Now here's what I'm thinking. There are a lot of us newbies - either new to motorcycle or to the Savage, or both. Being so independent - thanks Dad - I really want to do my own wrenching but am not comfortable with a lot of it yet. No matter how easy youall say it is.

So here's the idea. Some of you have rebuilt these bikes over and over again and really know your way around them. I would love to propose some of you setting up classes - in various areas of the US - to help us. 2,3,4 or however many days you think. Workshop on cleaning carbs, rejetting, the white spacer mod, whatever! We bring our bikes and you take us through it step by step.

I know for me once I see it done I'm good. I'd come for a long weekend within a reasonable distance so that I'm comfortable to fix anything that needs it on the road. I'd love to be able to do it and be comfortable.

Think it over, come up with a price and let's see what can be put together.

What do youall think?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Thinking outloud about maintenance
Reply #1 - 08/10/08 at 13:00:22

I really like the theory, but the logistics sound complicated.  Maybe back east where folks are not so far apart, it would work.

As an alternative to the idea, you might consider a "webinar," where the guru presents online video and then the class is able to ask questions via the internet.

Again, I like it.  But making it happen could be tricky.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
itschnobigdeal
YaBB Newbies

'96 Savage

Duluth, MN
Reply #2 - 08/10/08 at 13:10:12

Very good idea, and a great way for members of this board to meet eachother too! I think in some areas this would work great, however other areas would be tougher. For example, I live near Duluth, MN. I haven't checked, but I doubt there is anyone on this board too close to there... So me making it to something like this (and other people in more remote locations) would be difficult. The webinar thing is a good idea too, but there is so many writeups on here already that that's almost covered. Great idea, I hope it gets going!

Go Big or Go Home
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #3 - 08/10/08 at 14:01:33

I'm thinking hands on only - the only way to learn. I'm getting a little tired of all the webinars. Besides I can't get the bike up 2 flights of stairs and the computer won't work in the garage.  Smiley

The pics and the cd here are awesome so it could be taken to the next step.

It would obviously have to be in areas. But say if someone in Georgia with the skills said 'I'll do it. I can take only 5 people for a 3 day session, and it will be this much', I'd do it. Motels or camping nearby. People seem to be able to meet up for rides so why not a workshop?

I went once a month to NC to work with one of the Cherokee healers for over a year. It was something I wanted and needed to do so I made it work.

I'm thinking we have a lot of people who really know how to do this, a whole lot of people that could benefit and a few people that could use the extra money to teach it.

If I knew how to do it I'd be offering but I don't know how. Perhaps if I had the money and was a little younger I'd go back to mechanics school.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 08/10/08 at 15:31:44

I agree that it sounds like a good idea.  I'm kind of in the middle.  Not smart enough to teach it, but dumb enough to tackle it and hope I figure it out as the bolts come off.  Also, too far from civilization to host such a session.  Although, if a genius and his pupils wish to set up camp on my ten acres for a weekend and work on their bikes, I could at least contribute the ground and the view of the mountains.

It might even be a good enough reason to talk ma into that newfangled indoor plumbin' I've heard about, what with comp'ny comin' an' all.

I'll be watching to see how it pans out.  

We just got word from Feisty Limited that they added another Savage to their stable today.  When Kay gets hers, that'll make four in the neighborhood.  I guess it isn't that farfetched to think it could happen right here.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
Breeze
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #5 - 08/10/08 at 17:03:15

A most interesting idea. I know i'm new here however. I'm still familiarizing myself with the many mods you've created for the Savage.

I'm very active on another cycle forum and we have a "wrench fest" a couple of times a year here in my huge garage. We all get together and teach newbies as well as do mods and customizing. It makes for a great day and build's confidence and comradery.

Now, my wife has just gotten her Savage and I do all her maintance as well. Wifey is the type that wants to do all her basic maintance as well but, with guidance while she does it. This is all good and I don't mind cause she's out in the garage with me while I am toying with other peoples bikes or one of my many projects.

We have another "wrench fest" coming up here in Sept sometime. Now, we are located in Columbus, Ohio. If there was enough interest, I would consider giving intsructions on doing the basic maintance, pulling carbs and rebuilding as well as rejetting ect.. As far as a fee goes, nope. If someone had something they needed or needed to do, they would be responsible for making sure they got or had the parts with them. If that's not good enough, they can buy the pizza and the soda....

Twisted Dragon Racing
WWW twohyper2000@yahoo.com   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/10/08 at 18:24:51

OK, pick a place w/in 1000 miles of LA and I'll be there.

Sandy, I'll stretch the boundary for you.

My resume...cam chain (that should say alot so I won't mention the rest), front and rear brakes (ditto), carb clean and jet, and the rest is drivel.

Maintenance due up... valve adj, cam chain, front brakes, tubeless rear wheel & disk brake. (most of these will be restricted to my garage though)

WWW   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #7 - 08/10/08 at 18:28:07

I would be interested in attending too. Road trip with a reason to learn some good stuff. Worls for me.!!!

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
uniquelyme
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Columbus OH
Reply #8 - 08/10/08 at 18:41:07

Sounds like a very good ideal! Even if it is divided up into specific regions of the world. Still gives us a chance to meet others. As Breeze said, we have a greet and meet /wrench fest a few times a season here, along with a cook-out and good times had by all. We have them come from three/four states away sometimes, there is pleanty of places to stay if needed and returants by the dozens, but of course being the grandma I am, I do know how to cook.  Wink  The garage seems to always be the center of the hub, and lots of learning to be had!! I am new to the Savage world but now that I have mine, she is here to stay!! So the more I know how to do myself, just leaves more time for daddy to play with is projects Grin

Life is a thumping journey, enjoy it while you can.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #9 - 08/10/08 at 19:02:18

A very interesting idea Alittlebird. Wrench fest, hmmm. Catchy! I like it.
A good excuse for a road trip with a purpose, as someone else I see has already pointed out. I'm no t smart enough to teach, still learning myself; and I can't host, but I can travel with enough advance notice.
I'd be interested in seeing this thing happen.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #10 - 08/10/08 at 19:13:21

Okay.  It's on.  At 10 o'clock next summer we'll all meet at my house.

Actually, if Verslagen will come this far...  And Skid Mark is just up the road in Calgary.  There are a few folks just over the hump in Washington.  Plus the local crew of four and any others I'm missing in my figuring.  It might work!  Only downside for me would be that I don't get to ride anywhere.  Maybe I'll just ride in circles on the lawn while you all are wrenching. Grin

Kay's grandma lives right across the road from us.  She'll probably think the Hell's Angels have arrived.  She's a tough old bird though, so bring your bird shot proof underwear.

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 08/10/08 at 19:58:26

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 08/10/08 at 19:13:21:
 Only downside for me would be that I don't get to ride anywhere.  

You can come meet me half way and we'll vy for the furthest traveled award.   Grin

Anything after Aug.1 for me.

WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #12 - 08/10/08 at 21:09:05

Well, I did say advance notice; and I've always wanted to see Montana......
ROAD TRIP!

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #13 - 08/10/08 at 23:31:39

uniquelyme wrote on 08/10/08 at 18:41:07:
Sounds like a very good ideal! Even if it is divided up into specific regions of the world. Still gives us a chance to meet others. As Breeze said, we have a greet and meet /wrench fest a few times a season here, along with a cook-out and good times had by all. We have them come from three/four states away sometimes, there is pleanty of places to stay if needed and returants by the dozens, but of course being the grandma I am, I do know how to cook.  Wink  The garage seems to always be the center of the hub, and lots of learning to be had!! I am new to the Savage world but now that I have mine, she is here to stay!! So the more I know how to do myself, just leaves more time for daddy to play with is projects Grin

I love the thumper pic...it is so Cool Wink
Ya'll sound like great folks! I'd love to come sometime,meet you guys, learn,and have fun! Smiley I've never been to Ohio,but have met alot of great people from there Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #14 - 08/11/08 at 03:02:20

I live in Massachusetts.  If anyone wants to do a nude photoshoot, there's a 6-pack in it for ya.

Oh, I mean, I'd love to learn.  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:28:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thinking outloud about maintenance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.