Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Throttle Stuck (Read 114 times)
Foxman
Ex Member

Throttle Stuck
08/10/08 at 08:27:13

I just bought a 98 savage. Its sat for about 2 years before i got it. When i go to give it gas, the throttle doesnt move. I followed the line down towars the carberator, and tried moving it with my hand, its very tight, could barely move it, What should i do? try and clean it? wd-40? Im new at this so anyhelp is very much appreciated.

Thanks alot

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Throttle Stuck
Reply #1 - 08/10/08 at 08:30:23

Unhook the cable from the carburetor and determine whether it's the cable or the carb that's sticky.  That should cut your monkeying around time by a considerable amount.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Foxman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/10/08 at 08:31:08

ok, thanks so much

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/10/08 at 08:31:51

Remove the carb & clean it thoroughly, check every crook & nanny. Lancer just posted what to do with a carb so abused.replace the jets & all kinds of things. Look around at other threads & see if you can find it. I cant remember the title.
Congrats! You'll have fun with the bike.

I think if it sat 2 years, the carb needs attention inside, even if the cable is stuck & not the carb. But, Sandy did nail basic T/shooting ideas. Good point Sandy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Foxman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/10/08 at 08:43:01

i will and thanks, im plannin on takin the carb out and cleaning it right now.

IP Logged
Foxman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/10/08 at 18:23:20

AWSOME!! Took me bascially all day. But I completly took apart the carb (cleaned it) and put it back together. I was able to fire it up for the first time ive had it, and probly first time in 2-3 years, if not more. However, about 20 seconds in, i remebered like an idiot, i forgot to check the oil. So i turned it off, and im goin to change it tomorrow, from what i could tell, it didnt have any in it. Hopefully i didnt hurt anything.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!!! And a special think to SavageWahine, I used ur Carb Cleanup post!

IP Logged
Foxman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/11/08 at 14:27:14

OK, the oil was fine, i changed it. And put back in suzuki oil. But now i cant get it to idle. I can give it gas and it stays running. I was even able to drive it around the house in first.. But as soon as i let of gas it dies. It also seems to be gettin hot fast, i think , im not really sure how hot its supposed to get. Any ideas? I adjusted the idle screw all the way in and then out 1.5 times. is this right? Im new and need help. Thanks for any input.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 08/11/08 at 16:51:59

idle speed screw is on the left-side of the bike (near the choke and the petc0ck), idle mix is on the right (may be covered with a brass plug).
It's an air-cooled engine and it will get very hot, very fast.  That may be normal.
If you can't make it idle with the idle speed screw, check/replace the spark plug.  Auto parts store $2.00.  Also buy some Seafoam while you're there.  Drain the old gas out of the gas tank, put in fresh with the seafoam added to clean up the goopy old gas residue.

..."put back in suzuki oil"...not the same dirty oil I hope...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Foxman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/11/08 at 18:50:30

Ive replaced the spark plug, i have also cleaned out the gas tank, i disc the hose and let it empty into a bucket, i then ran new gas through the tanks to flush it out some more. Should i still add seafoam now? can I and should I do anything with the idle mix screw? The only screw ive adjusted is the idle speed screw.
Thanks alot serowbot, i appreciate it.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 08/11/08 at 19:01:15

If you're sure the tank and carb are clean, then no need for seafoam.  A little marvel mystery oil (no really!), can help clean up deposits and gum in the valves,..say a teaspoon per gallon in the tank.
You might have a gunky build-up on the end of the idle mix screw.  That could cause it to idle bad.  If so you have to drill out the brass plug carefully, it's only about an 1/8" thick and the screw is right under it, remove the idle screw with a small common flat-blade screwdriver (carefull there's a spring behind it) and clean that puppy, spray cleaner down the hole too.
Best of luck,

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 23:22:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Throttle Stuck

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.