Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Used '97 Savage Battery Keeps Dying & Oil leak (Read 73 times)
autoxbot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Used '97 Savage Battery Keeps Dying & Oil leak
08/10/08 at 04:56:41

Hi, I just bought myselft a used '97 Suzuki Savage. It has 10,800 miles on the odometer. Previous owner, had it last serviced 1-2K miles ago. I'm planning to take it to a local motorcyle shop, and having a service tune up done to it. They're charging me $130 plus parts, compared to the Suzuki dealership that wants $230 plus parts. Should I go to the local shop or the dealership?

Previous owner also told me the bike was always hooked up to a battery tender when it wasn't being used/ridden. Unfortunately my parking space doesn't have any outlets for the battery tender to be hooked up. And sure enough after a day and a half of not riding the Savage, it was hard as hell to start. Took me about 10 mins. of on/off restarting until she finally fired up. The weather wasn't cold, it was a warm 75-80 degrees. I don't want to always rely on the battery tender, so I was wondering what could be the problem? Do I need to buy a new battery or is there any electrical gremlins that I need to look into.

There's also an oil leak at the cylinder head. It leaks pretty bad when ridden. I'll see drops of oil on the left side of the engine after riding. But it doesn't leak when its not being used. My initial thought was that a valve adjustment would fix it (included in the tune up), but the local shop said that the source is from the pistons towards the middle/bottom part of the cylinder. And that a valve adjustment wouldn't fix it. They quoted me $500-$600 to get it fixed. They also suggested, just to keep riding it that way, and just maintain my oil level and I should be fine. The previous owner also did the same thing for 3 years, just kept the oil level checked. I haven't taken it in to the dealership. They're charging me $80 just to look at it.

So anyway, I just want to know ahead of time what could be the potential problem with the battery/starting, and the oil leak quote I got was a fair quote or should I even worry about it? The previous owner rode it for the last 3 years with the oil leak, so? I just want to get a heads up, so I don't get blind-sided by the local repair shop or the dealership with tacked on fees.

Thanks guys for all your help/input.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Used '97 Savage Battery Keeps Dying & Oil leak
Reply #1 - 08/10/08 at 05:16:11

You don't need a battery tender,Check the water level fill if it needs it charge it if it does work you need a new battery.Batteries will go a least a month which out charging .

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/10/08 at 05:57:13

If the battery survived 10 minutes of starting & dying, the problem isnt the battery. It STArted the bike, so Id look at idle speed, carb needs cleaned, antique gasoline, maybe? Flush the gas & pop the crab off & have a look. Bet it aint the Piston leaking oil & whatever it is, YOU can fix it. Grab a manual & stat to work, the money 7you save on mechanics will pay for the tools.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MickeyX
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/10/08 at 10:09:55

How old is the battery? Where's the water level at? I'd charge it up to about 12.5v and check the voltage across the terminals with a meter. Then, crank 'er up and check the the voltage again at idle. (unclip your meter while starting or you may fry it) Then check it at 2500 -3000 rpms. You should see it go up .5 to 1.5v at least. If it doesn't, you may have a problem with the regulator/rectifier or the  alternator. There are specific tests for each of these.
No idea about the oil leak. It might help if you posted some pics.

Good luck.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 08/10/08 at 11:10:54

Odds are 99+% the oil leak is the infamous plug above the short stud up and behind the exhaust pipe. Read all about it in the tech section, print the cap screw diagram so you keep the cam cover cap screws in the correct places. Order the plug/cap, the special pear shaped o-ring and the 7 special sealing washers that go under the specified cover cap screws before you start or you'll be down another week waiting for little stuff. The 8th one goes under screw you do not need to remove. At 10 K miles I'd check the cam chain tensioner while it is down. Will need to have a clutch side cover gasket and exhaust to head gasket on hand for that. Unless the cam tensioner has extended past limits you are good to go and do the cam chain bit in the Fall. Hint, buy Savage Greg's CD, it has lots of helpful material to supplement the manual(s). Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #5 - 08/10/08 at 11:25:21

Max_Morley wrote on 08/10/08 at 11:10:54:
Odds are 99+% the oil leak is the infamous plug above the short stud up and behind the exhaust pipe. Read all about it in the tech section, print the cap screw diagram so you keep the cam cover cap screws in the correct places. Order the plug/cap, the special pear shaped o-ring and the 7 special sealing washers that go under the specified cover cap screws before you start or you'll be down another week waiting for little stuff. The 8th one goes under screw you do not need to remove. At 10 K miles I'd check the cam chain tensioner while it is down. Will need to have a clutch side cover gasket and exhaust to head gasket on hand for that. Unless the cam tensioner has extended past limits you are good to go and do the cam chain bit in the Fall. Hint, buy Savage Greg's CD, it has lots of helpful material to supplement the manual(s). Max

What is it under in the tech section Max? Oil leaks?

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 08/10/08 at 16:35:55

Tech Section Contents with links, plug/cap with pictures of Julie holding up the cam cover. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/10/08 at 17:00:36

Most likely the local isn't familiar with the savage.

As max said it's most likely a plug that can only be acessed when the head cover is off.  This is normally taken off to retorque the head bolts at a major service point (for us lazy cheap b tards)  This plug needs to be put in with high temp rtv.  most stealerships don't do this so it leaks.

Look in the tech section for head plug leak and cam chain adjuster check.  if you have the mechanic do the service, have him do both and measure the amount that the plunger is sticking out, if it's more the 18mm you need to have this serviced too.  pay attention to this as it will keep you from scrapping the bike.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:16:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Used '97 Savage Battery Keeps Dying & Oil leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.