Seat Mod Question (Read 106 times)
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Seat Mod Question
08/10/08 at 01:25:34

OK Savages, here's a question I haven't seen in the forum. Can the seat pan be heated and reshaped?
Here's the why.
I've done the standard seat lift mod, and I'm not quite happy with the result. Don't get me wrong, it's helped, but as so many have pointed out, it's not enough.
Part of the problem is the strength of the seat pan. It resists flexing, so that even with the front lifted, and my 260lb lard butt on it, it still tends to want to return to its original shape, which is to say a slight slope toward the gas tank. Lift the front of the seat on rubber stoppers and the middle supports tend to come up off the frame. There's some flex downward when I sit on it, but it tends to want to always be returning to its original position. Starting out on a ride, I'm positioned back on the rear most part of the seat, knees are level with hips, life is groovy. After about an hour's ride time, I've vibrated forward, toward the gas tank, knees are above hips, lower back is in pain, no longer feelin' groovy.
What I want ot do is heat the front of the seat pan and exaggerate the bend there, so that the front of the seat creates more of a spoon, or true saddle shape, without the middle and rear mounts lifting off the frame. Has anyone tried it? Am I going to destroy my seat? Does anyone know, or am I going into the great unknown, all on my own?
Thanks for the help.
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: Seat Mod Question
Reply #1 - 08/10/08 at 02:03:05

I have no idea about the seat pan but....just wondered,have you tried padding the seat more,as in adding foam,etc to the seat?(Cant remember)

It seems that helps,according to those who've posted,...along with the seat lift.

And I've wondered about a different seat pan....if that would work Undecided

Just wondering on all this Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #2 - 08/10/08 at 03:25:56

Yes, I've tried different hieghts and types of foam, I've examined options on other seat pans (they get pricey, what with the initial cost, modification, recovering, rigging up the mounting hardware, etc., etc.), all to, per chance, end up no better off than before.
I am of the growing opinion that there may be nothing wrong with the seat at all, as far as padding, size, etc. I suspect that what is wrong is the mounting. I don't really want to change weld placements and the like, that's why I want to modify the pan so it points up more (way up) in the front. In order to do this, and overcome the pans rigidity, I need to be able to "bend" the seat pan. Lifting only the front tends to also casue the whole seat to rise up, hence the lack of support on the middle of the seat. This leads some to add support under those areas, which just results in the seat being taller. What I'm after is more spooning (ain't we all Cheesy) The only way I know of to do this is to heat the pan, bend it to the desired shape, and then cool it while maintaining that shape til it rehardens. What I don't know is if that type of plastic can be heated ,reshaped, and cooled without compromising its structural integrity. It might crack under stress. That's why I'm asking. If someone else has done it, and it does screw the seat up, then no need to repeat a mistake. On the other hand, if I'm going into uncharted territory, then I want to pack some cookies. Smiley

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #3 - 08/10/08 at 03:31:41

Jay wrote on 08/10/08 at 03:25:56:
Yes, I've tried different hieghts and types of foam, I've examined options on other seat pans (they get pricey, what with the initial cost, modification, recovering, rigging up the mounting hardware, etc., etc.), all to, per chance, end up no better off than before.
I am of the growing opinion that there may be nothing wrong with the seat at all, as far as padding, size, etc. I suspect that what is wrong is the mounting. I don't really want to change weld placements and the like, that's why I want to modify the pan so it points up more (way up) in the front. In order to do this, and overcome the pans rigidity, I need to be able to "bend" the seat pan. Lifting only the front tends to also casue the whole seat to rise up, hence the lack of support on the middle of the seat. This leads some to add support under those areas, which just results in the seat being taller. What I'm after is more spooning (ain't we all Cheesy) The only way I know of to do this is to heat the pan, bend it to the desired shape, and then cool it while maintaining that shape til it rehardens. What I don't know is if that type of plastic can be heated ,reshaped, and cooled without compromising its structural integrity. It might crack under stress. That's why I'm asking. If someone else has done it, and it does screw the seat up, then no need to repeat a mistake. On the other hand, if I'm going into uncharted territory, then I want to pack some cookies. Smiley

All I can say is the "Spoon" effect is the way to go,for real  Smiley
Maybe see if you can get a used seat in bad shape,for cheap,and try it!!
Then maybe you'll be the first to do that....and can inform others....one way or the other Smiley

If its a cheap route,you may not need any cookies for the trip Wink

(Maybe if you asked a seat reupholsterer,he might know if he's done alot of MC seats Undecided
But,I've never "heard" anyone mention this here...I could have overlooked it though Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #4 - 08/10/08 at 05:29:42

I tried trimming some of the foam off the seat and it worked pretty good except i took off a little too much. The sitting possition was better but the thin foam made the vibration alot worse. I might try to add some gel and recover it, we'll see. I may have a pic of the finished product.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #5 - 08/10/08 at 17:03:09

I have carved upon both the seats I have. One is the HD seat. It was awfully hard in the wrong spots. Used an electric knife on both. I seem to like the original seat better. Cut the hump off the back of the seat. Added padding. Very easy to remove the vinyl? and staple it back.
Good luck on the pan. Be careful so you have something to work with Smiley

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #6 - 08/10/08 at 19:09:12

Thanks everyone. AL, yours is the closest to what I'm looking for. My goal is to have the bottom of the pan at the front of the seat even with the top of the rearmost part of the gas tank, so it would have to come up an inch or two more than yours.
Well, I guess I'm off into the great unknown. I think I will take the advice of Freespirit and get a used seat and experiment on that pan, rather than potentially ruin my own.
Oh, and I am taking cookies. Smiley

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:17:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seat Mod Question