Send Topic Print
Harley Conversion Kit? (Read 157 times)
sharp21
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Harley Conversion Kit?
08/09/08 at 23:59:03

Whats the concensus on this?  Is this just an overpriced muffler?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/HD-SPORTSTER-MUFFLER-CONVERSION-KIT-4-SAVAGE-LS650-S40_W0Q...

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Harley Conversion Kit?
Reply #1 - 08/10/08 at 02:13:50

I did it on mine, sounds like a million dollars  Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/10/08 at 02:24:25

This is sold by Kwik Bay!  People on this site have had problems with him.  Look at his feedback...it stinks.  "Harley Conversion Kit?"  What 'kit'?  Your getting 1 muffler and it needs alteration because its not the right model.  I bought a Harley muffler and I didn't have to "bend the bracket" or "drill a hole", and it came with a Harley clamp, which is important for proper sealing.  Others have used their Suzuki clamp and have had problems.  The Harley clamp makes a big difference. Don't trust this seller.  Make sure you get the right Harley muffler.

IP Logged
sharp21
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/10/08 at 06:41:28

Thats what I was wondering.  Seems to me if it was a kit then I wouldnt need to do any modifications...
So what IS the right muffler?  I keep reading about dyna's, but there are different types of them so I want to make sure I get the right one
S.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/10/08 at 09:28:43

There has been a lot of confusion on this site about Harley mufflers.  Some people bought ones with crossover pipe holes in them and had to have them plugged and welded.  Others have had brackets not line up, or have had to drill holes in the bracket. Still others can't find a clamp that is secure enough, and still more have exhaust leaks and spend extra money welding the muffler to the Savage header pipe.

I bought my Harley muffler from Ebay.  It came with a Harley clamp.  It installed with little effort and no mods. No sealer, no welding.  It has stayed tight and does not leak.  

I don't know what Harley it came from, but I will show you everything that was stamped on the side of it.  Perhaps this will help you locate the correct unit:

"This Harley Davidson 64341-01 Exhaust System meets EPA Noise Emission requirements of 80db (A) for The Following Motorcycles.  Installation Of This Exhaust System On Motorcycle Models Not Specified May Violate Federal Laws."

That is everything that is stamped on the muffler.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #5 - 08/10/08 at 09:32:28

Gort,do you have a picture of it here? Or do they all look alike,the harley exhaust's,that is?

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #6 - 08/10/08 at 09:41:54

Get a Dyna that does not have the cross over opening.  A Harley exhaust clamp is needed.  You can pick these up cheaply at any Harley dealer.  The clamps will run you about $10 each and the muffler anywhere from $20 - $50, (ask for a take-off).  Then take the header pipe and the muffler to a exhaust shop and have them make you an extension pipe (about 6" long).  This pipe can or can not have a slight bend, (about 5 - 7 degrees).  I found that the bend was not necessary.  But, I did flip my rear brake arm to keep the soot off it.  (Be careful doing that).  Then all you will need is an exhaust heat shield to neatly cover up the joints.  You can also mount the exhaust pipe directly on the canister, if you don't mind the short lenght.  A muffler off a 2004 Dyna will get you where you want to be.

Having done all of this, I then bought a Hard Chrome pipe off of Lancer, (great sound by the way), and used a piece of my extension pipe that I had made to act as a gasket.  

Remember one thing if you do this - REJET your carb, or you WILL be running way too LEAN - not good. And you WILL blue up that nice shiny muffler you just put on.  Don't ask me how I know. Wink Wink

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/10/08 at 10:40:41

FreeSpirit wrote on 08/10/08 at 09:32:28:
Gort,do you have a picture of it here? Or do they all look alike,the harley exhaust's,that is?

Here is a pic.  This was a simple install...no welding, no drilling, no extra pieces or parts except for the Harley clamp that came with it.

IP Logged
bruno
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/10/08 at 11:35:07

I went on ebay and found 2 dyna takeoffs for $40 . they were supposedley off of  a 2005; one was a catalytic muffler and the other was the normally baffled harley muf . make sure u get one that the baffles are in tact . Most harley's have the baffles punched out soon as they get home as a cheap fix till the swapto straight pipes . stock dyna pipes have a nice low rumble , but baffle completely punched VERY LOUD !!!! My muffs have written on them FXD1340/1450 -80 DB rating . hope this helps you. Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:24:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Harley Conversion Kit?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.