Send Topic Print
Ticking sound (Read 221 times)
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Ticking sound
08/08/08 at 17:50:31

Well I now hear a ticking sound coming from the engine so I'm thinking perhaps it's valve time. (I've been trying to read all the posts but I've read so many I'm not sure any more what I have read.)

Ask my mechanic who says "Yes it's the valves but that's a good sound. you want to hear that."  Shocked

And why didn't I hear it before then?  Huh

So having asked the mechanic I will now ask the experts. Is the ticking a sign I need valve work and if so how long can it  go before it's too late. It's suposedly a new engine and I have only put on about 4300 miles since March.

Thanks in advance for the expert advice.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Ticking sound
Reply #1 - 08/08/08 at 18:02:57

Some ticking is a good thing.  The valves need some clearance or they'll bind up when either very hot or cold.

As to why you might not of heard them before... did he just adjust them? they may have been too tight.  And they do wear and may have loosened a little.  And it is one of those sounds you get used too and then become hyper aware of when someone asks you, does it aways tick like that?   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/08/08 at 18:18:22

How long since the valves were checked?If you dont like the way it sounds, check them IF you hear it & If they are fine then you learned what they are supposed to sound like. It doesnt cost anything to check them. What does it cost to not? Weekend is upon us. You can park it tonite & strip it down, check in the morning, adjust if necessary, slap it together & hit the road.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
shadowman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern Virginia
Reply #3 - 08/08/08 at 18:24:54

If you had ever had an old VW you wouldn't be giving this a second thought.  It's more a clatter than a ticking, right?  It quiets down a little when it warms up?  Check your valve clearance, change your air freshener every 2000 miles, and enjoy.

IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #4 - 08/08/08 at 18:42:18

It's a light ticking reminding me somewhat of an old diesel mercedes but definitely no where near that loud.

I have no idea when they checked the valves. I took it in for a service right before that trip and I really don;t think they did anything but change the oil. Cold be wrong but I don't think so.

VWs - yes! Dad had several bugs, Mom had a van and then my first car was a 74 orange super beetle affectionately called the punkin. It's been over 30 years since I drove one so I really don;t remember how they sounded. And I refuse to admit I'm that old.  Grin

IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #5 - 08/08/08 at 18:46:23

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/08/08 at 18:18:22:
How long since the valves were checked?If you dont like the way it sounds, check them IF you hear it & If they are fine then you learned what they are supposed to sound like. It doesnt cost anything to check them. What does it cost to not? Weekend is upon us. You can park it tonite & strip it down, check in the morning, adjust if necessary, slap it together & hit the road.

Yes well I have to be 40 miles away by 10 am tomorrow morning giving a program on medicinal herbs. And while I do get up at 4 I really don't want to tear apart the bike tomorrow.  Smiley

And to be honest I'm not comfortable with the idea of tearing it down just yet. I'll get there but I just did my first oil change 2 weeks ago. I'm fairly mechanically inclined but still a newbie.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 08/08/08 at 19:48:53

Most likely the valves are alright My wifes Suzuki GN 400 went over 20000 miles and the valve were never adjusted  That was a single too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/08/08 at 19:51:05

Read up on it lb, it's really simple.
In fact the hardest part is getting the little cover out of the left side.
Real hard if you don't have the right tool.  Look into it and getrdone.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/08/08 at 20:39:12

Start reading up on it, gather up tools & make an appointment with the garage. Easy to do, spooky the first few times. You'll get comfortable with it after a few times.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #9 - 08/09/08 at 19:37:44

My bike didn't tick at all until I started fooling with it.  Turns out, the valves were toooooo tight.  My smallest feeler is .002" and I couldn't cram it in there.  Once I set them to spec, they started ticking.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #10 - 08/10/08 at 03:52:03

Thanks guys!

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #11 - 08/11/08 at 20:41:28

"Slappy valves are happy valves!"

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 08/11/08 at 22:15:18

Sewing machine, tickity-tickity is o.k., louder when hot, still o.k.  Clackety-clackety, two spoons banging together is too loose...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #13 - 08/12/08 at 08:03:00

Serowbot wrote on 08/11/08 at 22:15:18:
Sewing machine, tickity-tickity is o.k., louder when hot, still o.k.  Clackety-clackety, two spoons banging together is too loose...

Thanks! Sewing machine it is. At least my old treadle machine sounds like that.  Smiley

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #14 - 08/13/08 at 00:57:46

ALittlebird wrote on 08/12/08 at 08:03:00:
Serowbot wrote on 08/11/08 at 22:15:18:

Thanks! Sewing machine it is. At least my old treadle machine sounds like that.  Smiley

That's what your looking for. I alwyas say between the aircooled engine and the exhaust note, it sounds like a sewing machine sitting on top of a lawnmower. Smiley

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 13:13:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ticking sound

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!