jetting stock carb (Read 214 times)
jack rabbit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

orange park, fl
jetting stock carb
08/07/08 at 16:11:13

Greetings everyone! I have an '07 s40. I bought the screamin' eagle style muffler with a baffle off of ebay, I decided to weld it on to seal any leaks, and maintain a position away from the bike. I also modified the air filter, by cutting out the thick card board like element and replacing it with a breathe easy nu foam.I also removed the snorkle from the top of the air box and removed the side air box cover. of course I got this idea from another member, please forgive me, I dont recall his screen name.  Bottom line, the bike ran alot better, and sounded better. Now here is my problem:  I bought the dynojet stage one jet kit, and installed it as directed. The bike will idle fine, ride in all gears, but it is just kind of slugging along, and it doesn't accelerate very fast. I have changed the main jet from the 144, to the 142, and then the 140. It seemed to perform a little better with the 142, but not even close to the stock needle and jet. Hey I just want to get more out of my bike. Can some one with experience working with carbs and jet kits give me some advice?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: jetting stock carb
Reply #1 - 08/08/08 at 04:07:21

It is my understanding that the dynojet kit is made for a stock engine with stock exhaust system, so when the exhaust system is changed and the intake changed then the jetting needs will be different than is provided in the dynojet ket.
Also, dynojet uses a different numbering system for their jets which makes it difficult to know where to go if the jets they give you do not handle the jetting problem.

If you have a dial guage you can check the OD of the needle they supply compared to the  stock needle,  which I suspect might be smaller than stock which would richen your midrange a bit.  This would be good.  Do you still use the white spacer with the dynojet needle ?

Notice also that the dynojet kit does not include a replacement pilot jet for richening the low range if needed.

Bottom line here as with any jetting/tuning job, stick with the basic procedures and go step by step.  Start with the pilot system and then work through the needle and main jets.  Jet...tune...test...based on result, rejet...retune...retest... etc

IP Logged
jack rabbit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

orange park, fl
Reply #2 - 08/08/08 at 11:19:10

I bought the dyno jet kit before I found your kit on ebay. the dynojet kit is for bikes with a stock air filter, but can be used on bikes with an aftermarket exhaust system. The needle comes with six grooves at the top. They instruct to place the holding clip on the fourth notch from the top and reuse the stock spacer,needle spring, and the small flat washer. They also instruct to use the 144 main jet. All of the jets that were sent as part of the kit have smaller holes than the stock main. I guess I will keep trying, but I may have to get your kit inorder to have any luck. Thanks for your response

IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #3 - 08/08/08 at 13:14:19

dont mean to hijack rabbit but if i may ask a question?
what is the best carb kit for the ls650 ?
i was told today the reason my exhaust pipe is turning bluer than most do faster.... is because someone has the past owner my guess did or had the exhaust modified,...
mechanic told me something about the baffle was took out or it had a hole in it now and either way he said its getting to much air now leaning the bike way out... said this was most likely done to make bike sound louder and they didnt know that it would lean it out evidentually..

he suggested a complete carb kit for it and it would run about 65 bucks and total 150 bucks for him to put on and setup..

does all this sound right..?

2003 ls650 3200 miles on it

Hang up that cell phone and let us that Ride LiVE....~!~

standingbearz   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/08/08 at 13:46:55

$15 jet kit from lancer.
Apply elbow grease generously.
Read all the tech sect for carb tuning.
When stumped, ask.

The eduacation you'll get is priceless.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 08/08/08 at 14:17:56

GrateFuLDad,
That $65 kit is most likely the aftermaket re-jetting kit plus some mark-up for dealer profit.    Lancer's are all you need, plus read thru the Tech section.

T Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #6 - 08/08/08 at 17:33:55

thanks yall i sent him a pm good news also seems he is in my state sc

Hang up that cell phone and let us that Ride LiVE....~!~

standingbearz   IP Logged
gazoo07

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakeland, FL
Reply #7 - 08/19/08 at 14:49:58

jack rabbit wrote on 08/08/08 at 11:19:10:
I bought the dyno jet kit before I found your kit on ebay. the dynojet kit is for bikes with a stock air filter, but can be used on bikes with an aftermarket exhaust system. The needle comes with six grooves at the top. They instruct to place the holding clip on the fourth notch from the top and reuse the stock spacer,needle spring, and the small flat washer. They also instruct to use the 144 main jet. All of the jets that were sent as part of the kit have smaller holes than the stock main. I guess I will keep trying, but I may have to get your kit inorder to have any luck. Thanks for your response
Jack Rabbit,I have the same kit in my 07 S40. It works great! I have always had great luck with Dyno jet kits and have never had to change from the suggested settings. You must have a vacuum leak or somthing assembled incorectly. What is the bike doing?  Gazoo  www.lubedealer.com/1lube  

Enjoy the journey as much as the destination!
Amsoil at wholesale prices! www.lubedealer.com/1lube
  IP Logged
jack rabbit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

orange park, fl
Reply #8 - 08/19/08 at 21:35:48

Hello Gazoo! As you may have read, I dont have the stock air filter or muffler. The dyno kit is a stage one, and I changed the main jets around, but I could not get it to work right. I did not attempt to adjust the jet needle though. I got lancers jet kit yesterday and installed it today, and it runs like a scalded dog! I used the 155 jet, installed the new pilot jet, which the dyno does not have, and used the stock needle with two spacers supplied in place of the stock white spacer. These two spacers together are about half the thickness of the white spacer.

IP Logged
gazoo07

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakeland, FL
Reply #9 - 08/20/08 at 03:28:35

Jack Rabbit, I am glad to hear you got your bike running well. I too have an aftermarket muffler. I have the Supertrapp slip on muffler,but I have the stock air filter. I am planning on going to a slide in K&N. What is this snorkel and air box mod you were talking about in your previous post?   Gazoo  www.lubedealer.com/1lube

Enjoy the journey as much as the destination!
Amsoil at wholesale prices! www.lubedealer.com/1lube
  IP Logged
jack rabbit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

orange park, fl
Reply #10 - 08/20/08 at 06:34:54

If you go to the tech/ref section, there is the table of contents/topic section. scroll close to the bottom of the carb mods portion and there is a heading "inexpensive high performance air filter". It was composed by old feller2. He tells all a bout it in a yoda/jedi like story. Feel free to ask me any questions about it, as I have followed his instructions, and I feel that it works great! The stock filter must Go! It has a super thick cardboard like element,and it cant breathe! So you can go to the cone or cut the element and replace it with a piece of new foam, that I found in walmart in the sewing/materials section.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 09:29:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › jetting stock carb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.