Aftermarket Pistons (Read 110 times)
Brandon
YaBB Newbies

Wooo Hoo!! Did you
see that!!!

Montevallo, AL
Aftermarket Pistons
08/06/08 at 20:56:40

Has anyone spied an aftermarket piston for the Savage? Maybe higher comp.. ?

Representing the Savage Republic!!
bdsavage69   IP Logged
texassavage95
Ex Member

Re: Aftermarket Pistons
Reply #1 - 08/06/08 at 23:45:06

I called wiesco and they do not make a piston for the Savage. I ended up buying a half over piston OEM from the dealership. Original piston was blown. I called 3 dealerships until one found the part number. Can always shave the head to bump compression.

IP Logged
longmi01
YaBB Newbies

Des Moines, IA
Reply #2 - 08/07/08 at 10:19:22

Not sure, but I think KwakNut shaved his head down to increase comp.  Not sure if he did any modification below there...

IP Logged
texassavage95
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/07/08 at 12:23:52

Need to make sure of valve clearance and need to be aware of slack in timing chain. There is a mod that can take up extra slack, just not sure where I saw it.

IP Logged
Brandon
YaBB Newbies

Wooo Hoo!! Did you
see that!!!

Montevallo, AL
Reply #4 - 08/07/08 at 19:54:28

I believe up to a certain point you could bend the long chain guide to take some up. Maybe a Verslagen cam chain adjuster. It's a thought.

Representing the Savage Republic!!
bdsavage69   IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #5 - 08/08/08 at 02:17:48

longmi01 wrote on 08/07/08 at 10:19:22:
Not sure, but I think KwakNut shaved his head down to increase comp.  Not sure if he did any modification below there...

I actually had the barrel skimmed by 1mm, which coupled with a thinner head gasket took the compression to about 9.2:1.  

This does produce more slack in the chain, but with the Verslagen mod, or something similar done yourself if you have access to welding gear and a pillar drill, that's not a problem.  I also re-drilled the cam gear to relocate the camshaft dowel pin because the chain slack also changed cam timing - not by much, but I was being thorough.

Bending the chain guide doesn't actually achieve much - I'd already tried that.

Valve clearance is not a problem - there is loads with it being a low compression engine and a relatively low lift cam, so skimming the head isn't going to cause a problem in that respect.

I couldn't find an off the shelf replacement piston.  However, I have come across a guy who had a high compresson domed piston made - unfortunately I've lost his contact details.
There are companies which will make you one-off pistons, just not cheap.  He went pretty wild with his Savage, ended up with over 60hp.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:13:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Aftermarket Pistons

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.