Send Topic Print
Fuel overflow (Read 71 times)
louie650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fuel overflow
08/06/08 at 19:57:24

Does anybody have any ideas?  I bought my '87 recently and it was mod'd a bit before I got it.  It has a Mikuni carb, but it does not appear to be stock and it has a dial-a-jet.

I have had it a few weeks and I just started having a problem with it.  It keeps stalling at idle and I am losing a lot of fuel from the carb overflow vent, usually just before it dies.  I can't spray any carb cleaner in the vent because it will just shoot out where the dial-a-jet connects.  I can't remove the bowl drain plug because it was tapped to connect the dial-a-jet.

I am assuming that I have a float problem (although it may not be).  Does anybody have any ideas short of pulling the carb apart?  I am not sure I am ready to do that.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Fuel overflow
Reply #1 - 08/06/08 at 20:33:26

You can try running the carb cleaner of your choice through the gas tank (seafoam, etc.)  Or take a screwdriver and tap on the bowl with the plastic handle to free the float if it is sticking.  Those are purported to fix the problem you describe sometimes.

Having done it a time or nine now, I would suggest removing the bowl and peering around in there with a mirror.  Maybe even spray some cleaner up in the carb.  Make sure to contain it with rags as it runs back out, or it'll screw up your paint.  Pulling the carb in its entirety wasn't as much fun as I anticipated the first time, so I don't do it any more often than I have to.  In fact, I have yet to remove the carb on my bike.  I pulled the one off the parts bike and never tried to reinstall it.  The way others describe it, though, I probably just wasn't holding my mouth right as I did it.  They make it sound easy.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
louie650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/06/08 at 20:39:06

I tried the Sea Foam in the tank.  I suspect it would take a while for that to do anything.  I also tried tapping the carb but it didn't do anything.  When you say remove the bowl and use a mirror, do you mean remove the four bolts and drop the bowl down while the upper body is still attached?  It sounds like it might be easier.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 08/06/08 at 20:44:36

You got it.  That's what I've been doing when changing jets and even just snooping.  It works like a charm.  Pulling the carb isn't major surgery, but it was just enough of a PITA that I won't do it until I really need to.  I just use a little compact mirror of Kay's to look around up in there.

EDIT:  On mine, I have to push back on the battery box to get the bowl off and on, but it'll go.  

ANOTHER EDIT:  Mine is a stock carb.  Don't know exactly what you'll be fighting with.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/06/08 at 23:31:00

If the needle valve the float stuffs into the seat is messed up, then even if the float isnt sticking, the bowl keeps filling up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
louie650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/11/08 at 10:07:54

Thanks for all the advice.  As it turns out, I did not need to remove the carb.  

I tried spraying carb cleaner in the vents, but I have one of Lancer's Mikuni carb so it just sprayed right out of the dial-a-jet.  I then used Sea Foam.  It took about one day of sitting, but now the bike is running as smooth as ever with no oveflow problems.  Of course, there was a lot of banging on the carb with a screwdriver handle.  I'm not sure exactly what did the job, but it looks like something worked.

IP Logged
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Reply #6 - 08/11/08 at 11:59:57

Come on now, we all know what fixed it......

Beating on it with the screwdriver...

That should be the motto for my next project bike;" The beatings will continue till morale/ performance improves...." Grin

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 14:26:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel overflow

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.