Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Hauling instruments on the Savage (Read 488 times)
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Hauling instruments on the Savage
08/06/08 at 17:07:11

OK so I know there has to be a few musicians out there on their Savages.  How do you handle a getting to a gig? And this is a serious question even if it appears to be moronic.

I need to get this:

Which contains this:

On this:

And get it to a gig safely. Has anyone else pulled off this nutty stunt or do I have to go and rent a car for the day. No laughing from the peanut gallery - it's hard enough being a pro musician without the snickers.

And you get 500 points if you know what it is.  Wink

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Re: Hauling instruments on the Savage
Reply #1 - 08/06/08 at 17:37:59

Looks like a dulcimer of some kind, but I'm probably wrong.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/06/08 at 17:38:28

Theres a guy in Australia who builds, makes or is the correct word creates? guitars. He hauls them in an oversized saddlebag on the left side, standing up in the bag.

As for what is it? To me, all musical instruments are the same, IMpossible..Anyone who can play anything has my instant respect.I have to warm up for at least 5 minutes just to play the radio.

Anyway, some throwover bag, just a single bag, well padded & able to control the instrument from leaning this way & that ia all ya need. If you can play that thing, you can surely find some bag or box that you can modify to suit your needs. I doubt seriously you are gonna find anyone with a saddlebag designed to haul just what that instrument is, if you get me,,, Its gonna be up to you to be creative. I dont SEE a reason why carrying it crossways wont work, but for some reason, I just dont really like it. Looks like an invitation to disaster, somehow.

maybe an ammocan with some [padded plywood inserts toward the front & the seat & a strap around?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 08/06/08 at 17:39:36

Or, since you already have bags on, maybe a sissybar/luggage rack to strap it to vertically?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 08/06/08 at 17:40:28

Is it a Cherokelele?  

I think you are on the right track just sitting it across the seat like that.  IF you aren't going out on the highway where wind resistance will be a problem, I think you could just run a pair of nylon straps around it and around the turn signal posts.  I'd carry the case around town empty a few times first.

Out on the highway, I think I'd try to strap it to my back in an upright position, so my body would keep it from blowing away.  That could be a pain, but probably the most secure.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #5 - 08/06/08 at 17:50:07

No highway for this baby! I'm deathly afraid of someone clipping it driving past. Oddly enough it fits better on the cargo bike.

Renting a car is not as cheap as it used to be and I hate the idea of admitting that there is a need for a car every so often. I'll catch you know what from the gang - "see you can't live without a car" - kind of thing.

The only possibility is to purchase the padded case for it which acts like a backpack but then it is really tall! And it's very expensive and has to come from overseas ( almost gave it away there). Can't get it here in time for this gig anyway.

IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #6 - 08/06/08 at 17:50:38

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 08/06/08 at 17:40:28:
Is it a Cherokelele?  

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 08/06/08 at 17:51:33

Look for ROK brand straps instead of bungies. They have a stretchy section in them but in my experience hold much better than bungies, ot a rider in Hawaii had them fit as siecar to his BUrgman 650 scooter for his Mexican = to a string bass. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/06/08 at 17:51:44

All I can find is clavichord.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 08/06/08 at 17:52:08

My theory is to put one end on the front of the back seat pad leaning back over the top of the sissy bar. Then ratchet strap around it to the fender sides and another around the case and through/under the backrest pad. Then for good measure do a few bungie cords around it to the seat pad, fender, etc. Then put a pillow/pad between the small of your back for comfort and away you go. I'm a trombone player and that's my favorite approach.

Now if someone can come up with a way to haul a Hammond B3 with a Leslie speaker cabinet then I'm really in business. My trailer isn't big enough for both. Of course the brakes wouldn't stop it anyway.

Jack

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #10 - 08/06/08 at 17:56:45

My Mom was the Hammond Organ dealer in SE Alaska back in the 60' and 70's . In HS,  I used to help deliver them for my car insurance payment. We had  B3 w/Leslie at home and she could really make it sound like alot of different instruments. A lucky neighbor got the whole bit when we MT'ed out their condo with her blessing. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #11 - 08/06/08 at 17:57:29

Jack_650 wrote on 08/06/08 at 17:52:08:
My theory is to put one end on the front of the back seat pad leaning back over the top of the sissy bar. Then ratchet strap around it to the fender sides and another around the case and through/under the backrest pad. Then for good measure do a few bungie cords around it to the seat pad, fender, etc. Then put a pillow/pad between the small of your back for comfort and away you go. I'm a trombone player and that's my favorite approach.

Now if someone can come up with a way to haul a Hammond B3 with a Leslie speaker cabinet then I'm really in business. My trailer isn't big enough for both. Of course the brakes wouldn't stop it anyway.

Jack

Ooo!! That would probably work. I knew there had to be another musician here!

And Max is right. I'd already ordered some Rocs anyway since they seem to do better on a lot of loads rather than the old bungies.

I'm selling the big amp since there is no way I can get that on the Savage and I figure if they want to hire me they can provide the sound system. Should have done that years ago.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 08/06/08 at 18:23:40

nyckelharpa?

Trombone in HS, and a few tunes with my kids.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 08/06/08 at 18:39:11

Thats a 12 string Gitfiddlebass Wink

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #14 - 08/06/08 at 18:44:50

I believe it is a nyckelharpa or Swedish Key violin.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:21:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hauling instruments on the Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!