Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Hauling instruments on the Savage (Read 488 times)
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Re: Hauling instruments on the Savage
Reply #15 - 08/06/08 at 19:03:15

Please tell what it is.......I've never seen one....

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 08/06/08 at 19:13:12

What you need is a friend or a groupie with a car.....

BTW, nice Grockenfiddlestien....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Reply #17 - 08/06/08 at 19:26:06

Ok I have two ideas....

One, you put the front half on the passenger pegs, the other in, strapped to, or remove the bag on that side and use the bag support to strap too....

Two, hang a hitch on the back of the bike, strap the lower half to the hitch and the high half to the sissy bar..... Thinking about doing this for my golf clubs.... Grin

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
shadowman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern Virginia
Reply #18 - 08/06/08 at 19:37:18

Check out my post further down this page under 'luggage rack solution' -- if the case is less than 8" deep, you are in business.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #19 - 08/06/08 at 19:52:59

No suggestions on carrying it.

My first guess was some variation on a sitar. It seems to have enough tuning keys for drone strings, although I don't see them. I don't understand what appear to be tuning keys along the side of the fretboard, unless perhaps the frets can be adjusted too.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bugsville

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gainesville, FL
Reply #20 - 08/06/08 at 19:56:25

I'd be afraid the wind would take it with the ends hanging off like that. I have transported an electric guitar in a  soft gig bag on my back, but luckily the amp was waiting for me when I got there. I say you get something like this:

http://www.outinstyle.com/p-CH-DUFFLES/RCO-2415.html

even if it sticks out the top at least you can cinch it up where it sticks out.

IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #21 - 08/07/08 at 02:28:26

Yes Verslagen and AL it is a nyckelharpa. Wow! I'm impressed! It stumped the FBI/Secret Service guys so I thought perhaps only the Minnesotans might know since there are so many Swedes up there.

I's been every where but not since I got the motorcycle. I gave up the concert harp 2 years ago, sold it and decided after almost 30 years I didn't want to play Pachelbel's Canon for any more weddings. So I could sell the car. To keep it to occasionally haul the harpa around was nuts.

Now the problem. I'll try strapping it down the way Jack suggested tonight and take a short spin to see if I'm OK with it. Even putting it on the way he does the trombone is going to be odd since it's longer than a trombone case.

IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #22 - 08/07/08 at 02:31:41

Serowbot wrote on 08/06/08 at 19:13:12:
What you need is a friend or a groupie with a car.....

BTW, nice Grockenfiddlestien....

Friends and groupies are hard to find when you either have big instruments, the gig is on saturday, or you're not famous enough to be making the big bucks.

IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #23 - 08/07/08 at 02:36:44

Charon wrote on 08/06/08 at 19:52:59:
No suggestions on carrying it.

My first guess was some variation on a sitar. It seems to have enough tuning keys for drone strings, although I don't see them. I don't understand what appear to be tuning keys along the side of the fretboard, unless perhaps the frets can be adjusted too.

It has 4 main playable strings and then 12 resonant strings under the main strings. All the tuners are in the head stock. Since it is a 'key fiddle' you don't physically put your fingers on the strings to fret them. The keys on the side of the body are for that. Press in a key and it pushes a little piece of wood against the string. The bows are very short since the harpa sits across your body.

It's related to the hurdy gurdy but is not annoying. Deep rich tone between the sound of a viola and a cello.

IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #24 - 08/07/08 at 02:38:50

shadowman wrote on 08/06/08 at 19:37:18:
Check out my post further down this page under 'luggage rack solution' -- if the case is less than 8" deep, you are in business.

6.5 x 11 x 39. Big case!

IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #25 - 08/07/08 at 02:41:05

bugsville wrote on 08/06/08 at 19:56:25:
I'd be afraid the wind would take it with the ends hanging off like that. I have transported an electric guitar in a  soft gig bag on my back, but luckily the amp was waiting for me when I got there. I say you get something like this:

http://www.outinstyle.com/p-CH-DUFFLES/RCO-2415.html

even if it sticks out the top at least you can cinch it up where it sticks out.

Great thought! And for $10 it's well worth a try. A soft gig bag to fit it from Sweden would cost me $450 which is crazy.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #26 - 08/07/08 at 05:50:08

I suppose another possible solution would be a trailer. Personally, I have some doubts about the safety of a trailer behind a motorcycle, but quite a few folks seem to use them.

Thank you for the information on the nyckelharpa. I have never seen one. I am also impressed that you are a harpist. I consider myself to be at the musical level between "playing" and "playing with" guitar and keyboard. There is a vast difference between playing a monotonic instrument and a polytonic one, not least in being able to read and follow several lines of music. Pachelbel's Canon is no easy piece.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #27 - 08/07/08 at 06:15:07

Two ideas:
1) Find a wire basket that the end of the case will fit in.  Attached/clamp it to left side passenger peg (or make setup to replace peg altogether).  Get a bar/rod and attach to sissy bar horizontally,  right to left, sticking out on the left side.  Case would sit in basket, then get strapped down to the rod/bar on the sissy bar.    Optional: put a bend in the bar ( rigth angle) so that the case would not slide off.

2) Find a luggage rack like mine (old Honda Universal rack).  have it fitted on the bike (can be hard to find.....).   Lay case on rack and strap down (wide left to right, but laying flat).  Optional,  make aux brake & blinker light to attach to the case (velcro / elastic ??) with connetctor, so people can see you better.  Or... 2B) remove sissy bar and then lay case front to back sticking out the back and supported by the luggage rack & passenger seat..

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 08/07/08 at 09:03:09

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 08/07/08 at 06:15:07:
Two ideas:
1) Find a wire basket that the end of the case will fit in.  Attached/clamp it to left side passenger peg (or make setup to replace peg altogether).

I wouldn't attach it to the passenger peg mount, too much vibration and shock.

If you can afford to have something made, a rack out of 1" sq. tubing affixed to one of the rear fender supports so that you can strap the case with the 6x39 facing forward.  The rack would only need a small 2 to 4" ledge for the case to sit on and only need to be as high as the pillion.  Bungee the case to the rack securely.

Alternate, sheet of plate aluminum, 3/16 min with similar dims as above.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #29 - 08/07/08 at 09:28:48

Get a passenger on the back to hold it for you!   Wink

True story.  Went to Uganda a few years ago.  They have thousands of these old Honda 90's and 125's running around the place mostly as taxis and delivery vehicles.  We saw some very interesting stuff being carried on these things. One time we're sitting at an intersection and we see one of these little scooter-like motorcycles go by.  On the back is a passenger balancing what had to be about a 10 foot long pipe on his head.  If ya gotta getr done...ya'll find a way...

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:16:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hauling instruments on the Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!