Air Cleaner Time (Read 240 times)
Hardly
YaBB Newbies

Idaho Falls, Id.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Air Cleaner Time
08/06/08 at 13:28:43

Howdy:

I'm thinking it's time to change my stock air filter.  I think it is the original.  My bike is a '95 with 7,000 miles.  Do the stock filter elements degrade with age?  My goal is more to improve mileage then to increase performance.  At my age my motto is "Built for comfort, not for speed".

I'm considering replacing the original filter with a new stock Suzuki element, a NuFoam do-it-yourself filter (ala Old feller) or ????  I do not like the idea of oiling the filter element, so the dry stock unit has an edge. I am suspious of the filtering capabilities of the K&N cartridge.  My air cleaner box and snorkle are in place.

I have upgraded the carb to a 55 pilot and a 150 main jet, and thinned the white spacer to about half.  I have replaced the Jardine (Too Loud) for a HD Dyna. The back-fire is gone and the ride is much more enjoyable with the Dyna muffler.  I am at 5,000 ft elevation here. I do mostly in-town riding and short trips.

I have/am considering running for a tank of gas without the element in place.  If I notice any improvement in mileage that would be proof that something has changed.  The downside is sucking unfiltered air into the engine.

I'd sure like to hear experiences and opinions on this issue.  Thanks, in advance.

Adios, David

'95, Jardine, 880s, 55 pilot, 150 main, Iridum.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Air Cleaner Time
Reply #1 - 08/06/08 at 13:32:25

My wife ran her Suzuki GN400 on a trip once 450 miles it didn't hurt anything

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/06/08 at 14:11:17

Its time for at least a good cleaning with 7.000 on it. maybe, depending on your location, dusty or lots of pollen & stuff, its time for a new one. Theres nothing wrong with the stock filter at all. When I clean my K&N, I run my old stocker for the day. The jetting & exhaust you have should be giving you a pretty danged good ride.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 08/06/08 at 17:49:49

This time of year, in your country, I'd be hesitant to ride with no filter at all.  Dem dar loggin' trucks and huckleberry pickers make lots of dust, even if you can't see it.

I'm using the Nufoam Oldfellter and the bike hasn't blown up yet.  Runs like a champ, now that my jetting problems seem to be taken care of.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/06/08 at 18:16:32

Test that you can find on the Internet show that nothing filters as well as a manufacturer' stock design.  K&N was shown to let more particulate matter through, than a stock filter, as does any foam unit.  The tests explain quite simply that you can't get something for nothing.  More flow= more particulate matter.  As was explained on one of these  sites, a stock filter is designed by automotive engineers to provide the most possible flow at the best possible filtration rate.  It is a compromise of highest possible flow rate and engine protection.

Additionally, articles have stated that cleaning any filter must be done with the proper chemistry because your filter clogs with more that dust.  Petroleum contamination from exhaust and oil fumes, industrial air pollution and etc, cannot be blown out with an air hose.  They must be removed with some type of solvent or aqueous chemistry.  This is why K&N insists you oil their filter.  The petroleum based contaminants will not get passed the oil to permanently clog the filter media, and the K&N oil can be washed out along with all contaminants.

IP Logged
Brad_THMP3R

Fighting for Iraqs
Freedom

Hampton Roads, Va
Reply #5 - 08/28/08 at 20:41:07

so how are you all cleaning your stock filters? i pulled mine and the foam surround was like a oil sponge and there was about 1/4 cup of oil I had to drain out of there. I may just to the NuFoam thing Wink

Jardine slashcut - oldfeller filter - 52 pilot, 152 main - no spacer - ngk iridium plug - olive drab paint - no head covers - respect brotha! I'll eat you!
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 08/29/08 at 00:18:33

Brad_THMP3R wrote on 08/28/08 at 20:41:07:
so how are you all cleaning your stock filters? i pulled mine and the foam surround was like a oil sponge and there was about 1/4 cup of oil I had to drain out of there. I may just to the NuFoam thing Wink

Thats doesn't sound like one I'd clean. Sometimes, a replacement is just necessary.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 08/29/08 at 03:07:32

Oil soaked paper filters can only be partially recovered by washing in solvent or very hot water and dish washing soap.  Solvent or water causes the paper fibers to swell, cutting down on the air pass rate.   Effectively rinsing after hot water soaping is an exercise in patience -- you got to get ALL the soap and crud out of the filter material.

An attempt to recover a washed Suzuki Savage filter resulted in the Polyfilter idea, a many times discovered idea which has worked out better and better for everyone that has sequentially re-invented the basic thought.  Use the 2" thick variety of polyfill Newfoam material and collapse it a bit with the thread you use to sew it into place and you will get a strong performing 2 years between cleaning/oiling air filter out of your currently junk stock frame.

Or, you can sell me your old frame for a few bucks -- I need me a spare frame or two.

Here is the latest incarnation.   http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1183640744

Oldfeller

« Last Edit: 08/29/08 at 15:31:02 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/29/08 at 10:38:23

Re: Inexpensive high performance air filter
Reply #6 - Today at 18:30:44       I've got the K&N slip in replacement, so when I'm cleaning it I just poke the old stocker in there for the day. I think Ill do this with the fram of the stocker( soon as I get caught up enough_) & I think I'll put the K&N back in the box & just run the homebuilt.

O.F., I have the K&N oil & cleaner. I dont have any Pam in the house. You suppose I oughta spring for the Pam or just use the K&N stuff on the homebuilt filter? You have any experience with K&N oil & cleaner?  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 08/29/08 at 15:30:14

If you have K&N oil and a K&N filter, use them.  They were built for each other ...

If you are making up a Newfoam polyfill filter, get the mazola spray oil from the grocery store as shown in pics in the thread.

"Pam" is a generic term for spray pan oil,  the actual PAM product used to come just plain but now it has finely divided flour in it -- you don't want to use the wrong kind of PAM on an air filter, so I don't recommend it unless you take time to read all the ingredients labels, etc.

There is only one Mazola Pure cooking spray, made with canola oil, comes in a yellow slim bottle with red and blue printing on it.  Until they invent a whacked out version of the stuff with flour in it, that is what I would recommend buying.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 08/30/08 at 06:14:43

Arrright..Pam, out, Mazola oil, in. gotchyaz,

IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #11 - 09/01/08 at 16:44:46

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/29/08 at 03:07:32:
Oil soaked paper filters can only be partially recovered by washing in solvent or very hot water and dish washing soap.  Solvent or water causes the paper fibers to swell, cutting down on the air pass rate.   Effectively rinsing after hot water soaping is an exercise in patience -- you got to get ALL the soap and crud out of the filter material.

An attempt to recover a washed Suzuki Savage filter resulted in the Polyfilter idea, a many times discovered idea which has worked out better and better for everyone that has sequentially re-invented the basic thought.  Use the 2" thick variety of polyfill Newfoam material and collapse it a bit with the thread you use to sew it into place and you will get a strong performing 2 years between cleaning/oiling air filter out of your currently junk stock frame.

Or, you can sell me your old frame for a few bucks -- I need me a spare frame or two.

Here is the latest incarnation.   http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1183640744

Oldfeller

I saved my old one when I changed mine last month. It's yours if you need it. Let me know.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 23:33:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Air Cleaner Time

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.