Harley fuel petcocks (Read 69 times)
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Harley fuel petcocks
08/06/08 at 08:28:16

Those of you that have done the conversion over to a Harley tank, have you had any problems with the petcock other than it is manual?

I'm thinking about the fuel flow rates mostly.... I can not find the flow rate of the Savage, but that is almost comparing apples to oranges since the vacuum will "pull" based on right hand demand.

From what I can find, a normal Harley petcock flows about 28 oz but some flow 50 oz.

What did you all use on your bikes? Does the amount of fuel flowed matter since it can only use what the carb jets out?

As always, thank you for reading and helping with my baby.

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Harley fuel petcocks
Reply #1 - 08/06/08 at 09:28:40

To tell you the truth I have no idea what the flow rate of mine is, but I have had no problems with it as long as I remember to turn off the fuel on shut down and turn it back on when I fire it up.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Harley fuel petcocks
Reply #2 - 08/06/08 at 10:30:39

daweise1 wrote on 08/06/08 at 08:28:16:

the vacuum will "pull" based on right hand demand.

The vacuum on the petcock is only used to open the plunger via a diaphram.  No real pull of fuel......

The Carb float and it's associated needle valve control flow rates.   In theory,  the float should have the bowl mostly full and the needle will be "almost" seated which would almost shut off flow most of the time .  It would only have to really flow at WOT or at startup after sitting for awhile.  

Your test of the OEM petcock flow rate....,  drain the bowl,  drop it, then hold a cup under it and turn the petcock to PRI for a period of time ( a minute???).   Check how much came out.   Note: I'm not sure if you can do this with the bowl on. Why?...  the drain might not drain fast enough and if so... then the float might shut off the flow a little.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:25:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Harley fuel petcocks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.