Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Trouble changing the oil (Read 413 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Trouble changing the oil
Reply #15 - 08/07/08 at 11:35:16

its the same filter from beginning till now.
Also a dr650 I beleave  and others.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 08/07/08 at 13:02:28

You sure the cap is defective? Is the O-ring still on it? If not, is there anything that would wrap around the body of the plug that would pack down on the case when you screw it in & stem the flow? Did you get the oil plug size yet? In case you missed it, a crescent wrench will make finding the size easy.IF no wrench will fit, then give it a feel & see if the thing is rounded off & irregular now. You may wind up having to take it somewhere where you can find a low spot to set the plug over & file to get it straight enough to use a crescent & break the plug loose, snug it up & go home to change oil,
I have used a hammer & punch on rounded off stuff, but thats screwed into cast aluminium,,,& a crack there would be really bad news.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #17 - 08/07/08 at 14:40:27

If it was me I'd order a new drain plug and new gaskets ( Mitisubshi Motors recommends a new gasket every time on aluminum cases, the dealer in Anchorage AK actually turned the plug boss out of the oil pan on a one of their customers cars, they taped the new gasket to every oil filter I bought there for our 86 Galant)  before I took the old one out. Then toss the old one and be trouble free forward. FYI Suzuki doesn't know the size of their own Savage drain plug bolts, we even used the tech help line one time to try and get the correct ones, I finally went to the parts store and found some correct size spark plug gaskets that work fine. I go a couple oil changes before tossing them. i believe the drain plug is special as it is very long, I'd guess to maybe prevent dropping out if it came loose, you would notice the oil puddle or slippery back tire before it was gone.   Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #18 - 08/08/08 at 02:24:32

mpescatori wrote on 08/07/08 at 02:55:19:
I WANT to change the filter but nobody stocks them for bikes off the market over 10 years ago...
These bikes were sold in reasonable numbers in Europe.  Any European motorcycle dealer or bike shop can order one in for you.  The Suzuki dealers should have them on the shelf.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #19 - 08/08/08 at 04:38:16

KwakNut wrote on 08/08/08 at 02:24:32:
mpescatori wrote on 08/07/08 at 02:55:19:
I WANT to change the filter but nobody stocks them for bikes off the market over 10 years ago...
These bikes were sold in reasonable numbers in Europe.  Any European motorcycle dealer or bike shop can order one in for you.  The Suzuki dealers should have them on the shelf.

Yes, true.

Also true that Suzuki Europe stopped importing the Savage in th elate '90s when Euro1 emission standards became imperative,
although the DR series is still selling.
Apparently they considered the "California plumbing" an unnecessary complication for a bike that proved a very marginal seller.

I'll try and find a DR650 filter, wish me luck.

Also, I'll try and find a new drain plug, and file the old one from 14mm to 13mm,
the point being that 14mm is next to unheard of in Europe, most sizes being either 13mm or 17mm, with no need for any other size inbetween.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 08/08/08 at 07:46:10

That means you got the english version of metric.
13mm ~ 1/2"
17mm ~ 11/16"

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 08/08/08 at 11:04:13

14 mm fits a 9/16ths socket better than a 14 mm socket. Grab a 9/16ths wrench & you are in BIDniss.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #22 - 08/10/08 at 02:40:11

Well...

I DID IT !!! (not that it wasn't the first time, but all I had was the kerbside... (curbside?)

Step 1, go to the local Autoparts, ask for "Oil Filter LS650", get the screwed eyed "huh ?" look from the attendant, ask for the oil filter catalogue, find the bike and point at item - ME, TARZAN, YOU, FILTER!
Same as DR650 and DR760... Roll Eyes

Step 2, buy all he's got (two) you never know...

Step 3, try to stand bike quasi-vertical propping up sidestand on brick, struggle with cramped space...

Step 4, realize it's a hopeless situation, find big thick slab of hardwood from nearby building site, prop bike leaning 60° on right side with slab of hardwood wedged between cylinder and kerbside... Roll Eyes

Step 5, realize oil drain plug is 17mm, so the brand spanking new 14mm extra-thin ratchet is useless... Tongue fish out 17mm wrench and undo to almost there...

Step 6, lean bike back on proper side, slide oil catch pan and undo final turn on oil plug... lick oil off hands (hmmm, tasty, like badly burnt BBQ sausages) and undo oil filler plug (which I shoulda done earlier)

Step 7, undo 3 allen bolts off oil filter housing, pry open carefully, watchout for spring-loaded self destruct mechanism, cuss as another half pint of old oil trickles down your wrists, ain't gonna lick that off too...

Step 8, proudly produce new oil filter, nod in self approval for having carefully peeled old oil gasket from filter housing so you can use it again ('specially 'cause I didn't have another one) "doh" yourself for forgetting which way is which to fit new oil filter, figure it out by "look&tell", hope for the best...

Step 9, prepare to pour 2.5 liters new oil in sump, come to a screeching halt because you haven't put the oil drain plug in yet...
OK, now pour that oil in, mop up dribbles, secure all filler caps, cuss at mechanic who replaced old 14mm drain plug with 17mm size but omitted gasket (make mental note to get one for next oil change)

Step 10, stand back, look at bike proudly and go over all steps 1 - 9, pray that you haven't actually overlooked anything...
realize car and house keys lie comfortably deep deep in your pockets and that you're mucked up to your elbows and that "ET, phone, home" is upostairs on the 5th floor... Tongue oh, bugger...

Step 11 (optional) trundle up 5 floors with hands up high and elbows forward like a surgeon out of scrubbing, pound on door with elbows, feet, nose, anything to catch anybody's attention, head for the bathroom and scrub clean with dishwashing liquid (if it's good for frying pand and gentle on the hands, it's good for engine oil and still gentle on the hands)

Step 12 (ya gotta do theis) scramble back down 5 floors to bike, toolroll left sprawled on pavement, empty oil bottles and old lady neighbor "humpf!!!", clean up and get outta sight ...

By the way, this was a... NO BEER JOB ! (one beer after shower after all was cleaned up...)

Went for a slow, real slow test ride after lunch just to check whether all plugs were on tight and oil filter was on properly...

Seems all's OK, so... OK ! Cheesy

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 08/10/08 at 06:00:21

2.5 liters? You still have a gap at the top of the siteglass?

CONgratulations.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #24 - 08/10/08 at 07:15:15

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/10/08 at 06:00:21:
2.5 liters? You still have a gap at the top of the siteglass?

CONgratulations.

Having moved house twice in the last 12 months... I have an original copy of the Clymer Handbook... somewhere... Tongue
...so I downloaded and printed the whole thing from the net... and forgot it in the office...  Roll Eyes

I thought remembering something about the engine holding two liters, plus another half for the oil filter...

I guess I was remembering wrong, it must have been 1.8 liters plus another half pint for the oil filter = 2 liters.

Anyway, I plan on changing the oil again next Friday, and again the Friday after next, with "el-cheapo" 15W40 (every 200 miles or so...) in order to "wash" or "flush" the engine as suggested by... OldFeller ?
Changing the oil filter every second oil change as well.

Hope this will clean the little window, it's pitch black in there... Angry

Anyway, with a full 3.5 liters in the sumpo (ugh) the bike would barely cruise at 50mph and deliver some... 20 Km/l=55mpg

One week later, after spewing a good half liter onto my ankles and on the ground, she would cruise at 55+ and deliver some 24 Km/liter=66mpg

I now aim to cruising at the same 50-55mph and gettng at least 26Km/liter=72+mpg...

I've actually grown fond of cruising so slow... you get to see the countryside, get sucked in the wake of speeding semis, and not so many bugs in your teeth, the big ones just bounce off...
OUCH !  Cheesy

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #25 - 08/10/08 at 08:28:30

Congratulations, Wide Open. Wink

Don't forget Step #13:  "Return hardwood to construction site before large angry man with hammer comes looking for the custom mantlepiece he just spent 6 days hand-carving into a rough-hewn looking beam."

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 08/10/08 at 08:37:46

So, the overflow issues were due to being overfilled? Where does oil come out? I am confused, again.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #27 - 08/10/08 at 19:00:49

Thanks for the chuckle guys. Just did my 1st self done oil change on mine and I can relate to how a simple job can devolve to a minor disaster. Had a time locating the the drain plug but found it after crawling around to the other side of the bike.

Thankfully I saved the reciept for the oil catch basin. wife was sure I borrowed her baking pan.  Wink

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #28 - 08/14/08 at 01:01:14

Well, just did another gas fillup.

The bike is really free revving, and I'm having troubles keeping my cruising speed to a mere 85-90km/h (55mph)

25,5 km/liter, which means... Roll Eyes 70 mpg, so I'm happy  Smiley

I've also lowered idling speed to the slowest "thump" she can handle on a warm engine, it's really "thump...thump...thump..." rather than thumpthumpthumpthump  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 08/14/08 at 11:22:55

Rev it uip Mpeasctori, iots starving for oil & sounding great as it dies a painful death.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 23:20:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trouble changing the oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.