Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Trouble changing the oil (Read 413 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Trouble changing the oil
08/05/08 at 11:30:13

You may remember I mentioned in another thread I had overfilled the engine by at least two, maybe three pints too many...

I read your comment(s) and also read (OldFeller's???) tip on how to flush the engine easily and safely... by using diesel oil.

OK, so I went over to the local "el-cheapo" Autoparts Mom&Pop shop, bought ... 10 quarts of 15W40 gas/diesel oil and prepared to do "change #1"...

Undecided

So what friggin' size IS that bolt in the bottom of the oil sump ? 14mm? 15mm? It's not a 17mm..., but 14 and 16 run round and round like they were undersize...
...and I've never ever heard of a 16mm bolt...

Help, please? :'(

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Trouble changing the oil
Reply #1 - 08/05/08 at 11:34:09

should be either 14 or 17mm.

You got the wrench on the right bolt?

If damaged, you may need to get a pair of vice grips.

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 08/05/08 at 11:36:25

Depending on the year the drain plug is usually either a 14 or a 17. Did you buy this bike new or used? If used the PO may have boogered the drain plug and decided to just slap in another bolt of the correct threads but a different head size.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #3 - 08/05/08 at 12:02:05

are you sure its not basically rounded off? i.e like somebody tried to use a crescent wrench on it?  Those things are round-o-matics in the right hands. Smiley

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 08/05/08 at 13:14:52

It's an '88, (4-speed) so it must be a 14mm...

The bolt (stud... whatever) is alright, I changed the oil myself last summer but since then she was serviced last fall by not-so-fine, not-so-young cannibals who set her up very nicely (with the performance cam, too) but forgot to fix the oil nut in the head and...
...you can imagine the rest...

That's why I overfilled, I must have topped up before the summer break (we had a LOT  of rain early in the season) and topped up again last week... DOH !  Angry

So I'll try again with the 14mm... wish me luck...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #5 - 08/05/08 at 13:29:21

check the tec section for pics to make sure you are on the right bolt, I am not very tool handy but learning and I did the oil change in a few mintures after looing at the pics, and belive it is a 17 mm,

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #6 - 08/05/08 at 17:09:11

My '87 is a 14.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 08/05/08 at 17:14:42

MY 2000 is a 14

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/05/08 at 19:56:56

In times of great confusion, I have been seen fitting a crescent very tightly, slipping it off & using that to help me get the correct wrench. If all else fails, I will use a crescent, but I use needlenose vise grips to adjust it as tight as I can on things I just Can Not allow to be rounded off. Also, smacking the wrench seems to work better that just applying pressure.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #9 - 08/05/08 at 20:59:00

A six point box end wrench will do better than a 12 point.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #10 - 08/05/08 at 23:34:28

Max_Morley wrote on 08/05/08 at 20:59:00:
A six point box end wrench will do better than a 12 point.  Max

Yes, quite so... if only I could get one to fit...

Another issue is the lean of the bike, even if I rest the sidestand on a big fat (old) phone book I still have a mere few inches and IIRC I had to flip the open-end wrench every 6th of a turn...  Roll Eyes

By the way... I've never checked the oil filter... can I just wash it in a bit of gasoline and put it back, or must I replace it altogether (there aren't many around, I may have to see a stealership...)

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 08/06/08 at 02:44:05

You've been posting here and modding your bike for YEARS now and you haven't ever changed your oil filter?   You top up your oil multiple multiple times between oil changes?  

How many miles do you go between oil changes?   How many miles between filter changes?

I'm curious -- some here change their oil & filter every 500 miles which I find excessive.  I change my oil at least twice a year and my oil filter gets changed at the Christmas break oil change.  I adjust my valves every 10,000 miles (valves are due again during a vacation break as a matter of fact).

You are aware our bikes make finely powdered metal that rides around in our oil?  That unless you use magnetics to get it all out of your oil system you are depend on a relatively coarse oil filter to stop the stuff from recirculating?  And once that filter gets plugged up with crap, the bypass valve on the oil filter opens up and coarse stuff recirculates round and round and round again?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 08/06/08 at 17:55:16

I dont work on the oil drain plug from the sidestand side. Its easier from the other side.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 08/07/08 at 02:55:19

I also work on the "other" side, like Justni does.

To reply to Oldfeller, I bought the bike in October 2005, left it in a garage for ... months forgetting the petcock on "prime" so I had to haul it to a workshop...

I've been buying parts for years, that's true, but so far I've only fiddled with removing the tank umpteen times to get to the spark plug, changing mirrors until I could find the kind that allowed me to see more than just elbows and shoulders, and fitted a rev counter.

I also bought tons of other bits I've yet to fit...

Most of you guys live in a house with a garage, I live in a 5th floor apartment in a condo with one of those "hotel style" underground garage, all I have is just a rectangle in yellow paint.

In the state she's in, my Savage will do some... 300 miles (give or take) on one quart... remember I have a serious issue with a leaking oil cap that's already ruined two pair of jeans and one set of boots - which are now my standard riding gear.

I'm well aware of the metallic crud that's in the system... the point is I've never changed the oil filter myself, (I've been billed for it every time though) and since I've seen all sorts of shapes and sizes, from mini-cartridge to simple steel gauze, I just asked.

So, what's it like ? Is it compatible with any other kind, like a more modern 2-4 cylinder model or an enduro ???

I WANT to change the filter but nobody stocks them for bikes off the market over 10 years ago...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #14 - 08/07/08 at 11:29:40

mpescatori wrote on 08/07/08 at 02:55:19:
I WANT to change the filter but nobody stocks them for bikes off the market over 10 years ago...

Bikebandit.com has part number 485535-001 http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/suzuki-motorcycle-ls650pg-savage... listed as oil filters for Savages back to 1986 so I imagine it should fit your year as well.  According to their help page "International orders will be shipped by Fedex. All duties, taxes and brokerage fees are included in the order total. " so I imagine they ship to Italy.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 20:57:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trouble changing the oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.