Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power (Read 178 times)
Keith55

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Power
08/04/08 at 12:57:21

I went on a 300 mile ride last week through the ozarks. I had just got my savage running a few weeks ago.  I was almost home maybe 5 miles away when the moter just stoped at speed, I reach for and turned the gas thingy to reserve, almost got to full stop when I herd very big POP out the pipe. it restarted. now it is twice as loud and has twice to power it had before, I mean it will get it big time now. Do yall think the pipe was stopped up? It must have been it.

IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Re: Power
Reply #1 - 08/04/08 at 13:24:30

I think this is where somebody in the know about motorcycle engines would rattle of some slick sounding jazz about pressure, vacuum, air/fuel mixture, humidity and all that... Unfortunately what I know about the inner workings of a motorcycle engine would fit inside that pop you heard.  Now that I have wasted your time, lets see what some of the real mechanics have to say.   Grin

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 08/04/08 at 15:25:39

I don't remember if you are running stock exhaust or not. My "guess" would be the loud backfire was you blowing the sh!t out of the baffle letting it breath easier as a result.

Remember, that's just my guess.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/04/08 at 16:11:40

If you go gas it up & the miles indicate it wasnt time to go on reserve, then yes, the exhaust was likely plugged with rust & crappola. Ive seen cars just shut off going down the road, coast to a halt, hit the starter & fire right up & the cataclysmic perverter needs replaced, junk moves around & the exhaust gasses carry it onto the ceramic, plugging the little holes & as soon as the engine is off, the pressure is off & the stuff falls back down, allowing it to flow. Never heard of an exhaust clogging, except for catalytics, but I can say its not possible.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Keith55

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/04/08 at 19:25:24

well It was close to being out on the main tank. when I herd the pop a big cloud off sh...t  came out  .this thing has set for years. a 87 with only 5500 miles on it. I't doing much better on gas now to.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 08/04/08 at 20:01:05

A cloud of sh...t can really change how the bike runs.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/04/08 at 20:35:21

You might concider taking the muf off and knocking that sh!t outta there.

My guess too.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 08/05/08 at 05:19:32

Yeah.  It's probably affecting your volumetric throughput.

I still can't believe you said that, Verslagen. Smiley

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/05/08 at 06:41:53

Well, if it runs better & is getting better MPG, instead of being cleared out to flow better than the pipe was meant to flow, is it possible/likely there was some critter that built a home in there that you eventually burned/blew/vibrated out?
If the explosion event opened the exhaust to flow considerably more than before it was parked, it might be running lean now. Or, maybe before the big event, it couldnt breathe well & was running a bit rich?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Keith55

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/05/08 at 10:19:01

You know it looked like dirt. I think a dirt dobber built a nest in there and it just took some time with the motor running to get it out of there.
looks to like it would have ran hot though. i didn't seam to be. I remember thinking after I got it running that it didn't seam to have as much power as a old 450 suzuki I use to have. but after the pop it showed me it was a 650....

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 08/05/08 at 10:48:28

FYI, I've heard rumors of Katrina cars being curbed around the country.  They sat for weeks in the mud and water after the floods, and are being put back on the road by unscrupulous sellers.
Maybe you have a Katrina bike?

You might want to check in the airbox and maybe the rear brake drum for sludge....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 21:31:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Power

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.