Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuel Fumes (Read 205 times)
vhfkid

Thumpin' in ETEX

East Texas
Fuel Fumes
08/04/08 at 11:18:42

OK, it's been over 100 every day for a week here in East Texas.
I've noticed my fuel cap is venting fuel at an alarming rate, so much so that walking near the bike smells like a pan of gas is evaporating next to you.

Is this normal or do I need a new rubber gasket for my gas cap?

IP Logged
Keith55

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Fuel Fumes
Reply #1 - 08/04/08 at 12:41:29

mine doing the same. I'm in arkansas 104 today. Mine is a 87 model.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 08/04/08 at 15:22:36

Filled the FireLizard up from a gas can the other day in almost 100 degree heat. Later I went out and gas was pouring out from under the cap, unscrewed the cap to release the pressure and it looked like it was boiling out.

Now my tank is an '08 Road King tank but the principle is the same. The very hot days will expand fuel and cause it to overflow and vent especially if you over fill which is what I had done.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #3 - 08/04/08 at 15:29:51

I never noticed mine doing that.  Summertime here in Central California is usually 95+ for 3 months (usually 100+) without break.  But, then again, I don't fill my tank to the top.  Or maybe it's just our great California emissions requirements that prevents that from happening?

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/04/08 at 16:16:27

VHF, what part of East TX?

I notice the smell of gas some days( no windatall) when I get on it.

I did tighten the rubber to tank by finding a piece of plastic & cutting ut to fit between the rubber & the cap.  I remember I had to modify something to allow it to go, but danged if I can remember. Ive noticed it doesnt overflow as much or as often, it still will, if I really overfill it but I can put a bit more gas in than before & not get my leg wet.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
shadowman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern Virginia
Reply #5 - 08/04/08 at 17:09:53

Gasoline is extremeley volatile.  It expands quite a bit as it heats -- approx .07% per degree farenheit -- and the tank has no protection like a cage does.  Notice how hot your knees get when you get on the bike in mid-day and how cool it is when you fill up?  Actually, there are fed regs that require gasoline at wholesale to be sold at below 60 farenheit, but alas, the retailers are free to sell it to us as hot as they like, I guess.  

There isn't much you can do to stop vaporization loss, but I would suggest allowing sme space for expansion, especially in warmer climates -- if the temp outside is 100, you can be sure taht an exposed tank will be much hotter.

IP Logged
ret cg
YaBB Newbies

riding since 1960

Lumberton,Tx
Reply #6 - 08/04/08 at 17:35:18

It's hot in Beaumont Tx also. Just don"t fill the tank so much.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 08/04/08 at 17:44:27

Gary On A Savage wrote on 08/04/08 at 15:29:51:
I never noticed mine doing that.  Summertime here in Central California is usually 95+ for 3 months (usually 100+) without break.  But, then again, I don't fill my tank to the top.  Or maybe it's just our great California emissions requirements that prevents that from happening?

Actually, Gary, if your bike is a California model, the gas cap is different than the others.  It has a different type of check valve.  There is also a tube that runs from the tank to the charcoal canister under the bike.  I don't know how those things combine to prevent overflowing tanks, but mine never overflows either.

It is my understanding that when Savage Greg releases the Savage Companion version next.0, there will be photographs of the innards in that gas cap.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #8 - 08/04/08 at 20:48:13

107 here yesterday. Been smelling gas for over a week now. Just fill to 2/3rds.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #9 - 08/05/08 at 11:19:45

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 08/04/08 at 17:44:27:
Gary On A Savage wrote on 08/04/08 at 15:29:51:

Actually, Gary, if your bike is a California model, the gas cap is different than the others.  It has a different type of check valve.  There is also a tube that runs from the tank to the charcoal canister under the bike.  I don't know how those things combine to prevent overflowing tanks, but mine never overflows either.

It is my understanding that when Savage Greg releases the Savage Companion version next.0, there will be photographs of the innards in that gas cap.

Wow!  For once an advantage to having a CARB version bike!   Grin

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #10 - 08/05/08 at 12:06:59

shadowman wrote on 08/04/08 at 17:09:53:
Gasoline is extremeley volatile.  It expands quite a bit as it heats -- approx .07% per degree farenheit -- and the tank has no protection like a cage does.  Notice how hot your knees get when you get on the bike in mid-day and how cool it is when you fill up?  Actually, there are fed regs that require gasoline at wholesale to be sold at below 60 farenheit, but alas, the retailers are free to sell it to us as hot as they like, I guess.  

There isn't much you can do to stop vaporization loss, but I would suggest allowing sme space for expansion, especially in warmer climates -- if the temp outside is 100, you can be sure taht an exposed tank will be much hotter.

I wonder if using a bike cover to reflect some of the heat might cut down on the expansion?  Even if you could cut the temp by a few degrees - at .07%/1 degree, that could slow down the expansion quite a bit I would think.

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
vhfkid

Thumpin' in ETEX

East Texas
Reply #11 - 08/05/08 at 13:13:28

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

I found a small travel cover I'm going to put on the bike when I have it parked in the sun all day, like at work.
We'll see if that takes care of it.

Justin I sent you a PM.

IP Logged
shadowman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern Virginia
Reply #12 - 08/05/08 at 14:52:04

We have had a couple of really nasty days here in Northern VA -- not like in the Southwest, but hot nonetheless.  That tank had to be over 120-130 degrees.   I'm thinking about something as basic as either parking it in the shade and/or bungie-connecting an old white towel over the tank.  Putting my privates next to 2 gallons of heated fuel?  Not good.

IP Logged
vhfkid

Thumpin' in ETEX

East Texas
Reply #13 - 08/05/08 at 19:42:21

For what it's worth, I just got a cycle block (aka cycle shade) it is a reflective cover designed to cover the gas tank and the seats, cost was under $15 on ebay. I'll report more on how it works after things heat up.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 08/05/08 at 20:10:09

One of those shiny aluminum windshield blocking shields might could be hacked up a bit to cover the tank & make a prettiy big difference. Covering the seat with anything, a rag even, would be a good thing, parked in a parking lot with no cover. The plasticizers get cooked out of the vinyl in such brutal temps, decreasing the life of the seat. I am not sure thats a bad thing.. Kind of a "get Even" thing..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:13:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel Fumes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.