daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Fuel tank leak?
08/03/08 at 18:28:20

Has anyone had one just leak? :'(

I spent the day removing the seat, air filter, and the tank to see what I could find....All I found is that the air filter is completely soaked, gas "laying" in the air box, taking the tank showed no real sign of a problem... Embarrassed

Seams where dark, gummy gas residue under the tank, seat, the frame tubes.....

Putting everything back together, she does fire and run.... Smiley but the leak is still there. Petcock is clean, seak good, and tight.... Plus on the bike side stand, the fuel is coming from the right or high side. That would only leave a leaking seam from that side......

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Fuel tank leak?
Reply #1 - 08/03/08 at 19:27:08

Is it a California model?  They have a vent line up front on the bottom of the tank.  It's toward the right side.  If it's broken, you might get some gas through there on occasion.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Reply #2 - 08/03/08 at 19:32:35

No... PO was in Indiana, and I found no such vent or tube with the tank off...

But thank you for the reply and something else to look for

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/03/08 at 19:33:29

You could empty it, pull it, shake it as empty a spossible, set it in the sun to let it evaporta out, a rag over the filler to keep syuff out, take a piece of innertube & seal off the neck, using a huse clamp, with a hole for a tire pump, sealed off with another clamp, air it up just a tad & feel for a split, talcum powde is good for showing air move. Or hang it up, set it up, whatever, & start filling it till it leaks. Lota of ways to track it down, just have to be creative. Maybe the first suggetsion wont work, may have to try different thiongs, but I cant imagine having a leaky bucket & not being able to find the leak, Its just a bucket, with a cap, now, you gotta find the leak,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/03/08 at 21:59:56

What's the easiest way to find a leak in a inner tube?  under water of course.

Fill up the bath tub, put the cap on (it's vented so it'll leak), use an air gun to squirt air into the gas outlet of the petcock.

WWW   IP Logged
shadowman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern Virginia
Reply #5 - 08/04/08 at 16:49:22

I just bought a used tank that has a leak in it at the bac by the mounting bracket (this leak was disclosed) and I have been doing some research.  There are the 'Kreem Coat' approaches -- basically etching and then coating the inside of the tank.  This is messy, expensive, and more trouble than I wanted to go through.  May be the way to deal with a tank from a classic car or other bike applications, but there is a technique used for aircraft that is promising.

BEFORE YOU START, MAKE SURE THE TANK IS TOTALLY DRY AND VAPOR FREE.  First, finding the leak:  I used a 12v air compressor (a shop vac with blower feature would be better).  Tape up or otherwise seal the petcock opening, then insert the compressor tube into the tank and seal up the rest of the fuel-fill opening with a rag, as snug as you can.  Apply a generous bead of Dawn liquid detergent to suspect area and start the compressor.  (This is how plumbers check for gas leaks.)  After a minute or two of goobering it up with Dawn I was able to detect the leak -- very small bubbles appeared.  Not much, but it doesn't take much for gas or gasoline to leak.

Fixing the leak:  I have not tried this yet, but there is a type of aircraft that is prone to corrosion/leaks in the fuel tank.  Some guy developed and got certification for a technique that involves both applying solvent to neutralize the oxidation (probably not a problem for most bike tanks) and a sealant to stop the leak.  This is done by reversing the process I outlined above for detecting the leak, i.e., seal up petcock, but insert the hose from a shop vac, seal with a rag/duct tape, turn on the vac, then apply the sealant to the hole area.  The partial vacuum created in the tank will draw the sealant into the hole.  When you are sure that the hole has been filled with sealant, turn off the vac and let it dry for a couple of days.

Here's tha catch: the kit for aircraft applications cost $560.  (Not a type - $560.00)  For that you get one ounce of solvent and one ounce of sealant and a couple of spray bottles for undertaking a certified procedure.  Here's the kicker:  analysis of this 'sealant' strongly suggests that it is, essentially, blue loctite.  Loctite, per se,  is not certified for this fix on aircraft, but we are free to experiment.  I intend to try the fix this weekend.  But if some daring soul cares to take the first step, be my guest and please report back.   Lotsa luck.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/04/08 at 17:01:49

In the past I have used this product with excellent results:

http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CRK%2D01

Bill Hirsch products have been  used for many years, worldwide, in the classic car restoration business.  I've used several of his products and they are very high quality.

IP Logged
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Reply #7 - 08/05/08 at 06:14:54

Thank you both for your replies....

I'm looking at new tanks now, (I wanted one for the build this winter anyways) and what the wife doesn't know.... Lips Sealed

Really, I think I might fix it as a back-up, and that Bill Hirsch product looks like just the ticket....

I knew you would all be able to help with an answer.

Shadowman, just so you know, that mounting bracket looks to be the scource of my leak also.....  Shocked

I will say this though, there was a dent across the top of the tank where I was told wood (a single 2x4, right....) in his shed fell on the bike and dented it... Looks like it did more than just dent the tank in my case.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/05/08 at 06:34:17

Is there a reason why brazing wouldnt do it cheaply & permanently?

But, heres another option,

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 08/05/08 at 13:48:37

Also POR15.  The Fuel tank stuff is suppose to be "impervious to all fuels, including the new Stage II fuels which have a high alcohol content."

http://www.por15.com/products.asp?dept=12

NOTE: You have to be careful with POR15. It sticks and sticks and sticks ...... If you get it on your skin it's there until you shed that layer of skin (trust me.....)

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #10 - 08/05/08 at 14:07:12

again

« Last Edit: 03/10/09 at 11:56:19 by photojoe FSO »  

FSO
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/05/08 at 14:58:18

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 08/05/08 at 13:48:37:
Also POR15.  The Fuel tank stuff is suppose to be "impervious to all fuels, including the new Stage II fuels which have a high alcohol content."

http://www.por15.com/products.asp?dept=12

NOTE: You have to be careful with POR15. It sticks and sticks and sticks ...... If you get it on your skin it's there until you shed that layer of skin (trust me.....)

Don't I know it.  When I first used it, it was 100 degrees outside so I only wore shorts and sneakers, and crawled under my car to paint all the rust areas with POR 15.  BIG mistake.  Nothing removes it and it took weeks for all the drips to wear off my body and face.  I have to say though, it is the BEST rust paint I ever used.  Once treated with POR-15, metal will not rust.  It rusts around the POR 15, but thats all.

IP Logged
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Reply #12 - 08/05/08 at 21:24:29

Shadowman, don't know if I should thank you or curse you.... Pressurized the tank with air compressor to 30 psi and see the bubble, bubble, bubble right at the seat mount loop welded to the tank.... Hard to believe that my 130 lbs frame did it, but who knows...

Wife says be safe and buy the new tank  Wink (gotta love a great woman) but I will more than likely fix this one with the Bill Hirsch product as a back-up.

4.5 gallon new sporty stretch tank it is....... Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 08/05/08 at 22:20:22

Sluggo has a well bent tank, He might be happy to take your leaky one off your hands.

IP Logged
shadowman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern Virginia
Reply #14 - 08/06/08 at 04:21:10

Daweise -- the vacuum/sealant inhaler technique appears most appropriate for fixing pinhole leaks that are difficult to localize.  Since I have located the leak I'm going to first try wire brushing it down and then using an epoxy to cover the area.  This is a backup tank, so I can afford to mess with it.  I'll keep yas posted.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:20:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel tank leak?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.