brakes  question (Read 116 times)
hands2005
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

North Carolina
brakes  question
08/03/08 at 17:06:33

Hey guys,  does anyone  have a problem  with their brakes, my front  brake disk  seems to be wrapped it  makes a  rubbing sound  when you  roll it  slow, it rubs in maybe one spot,  it only has 2k on it, also  my back brakes  lock sometimes ,  you  don't even really have to hit them hard  and they lock, so i  let off the back  brake and only use the  front  and then  the next time  ( say in the  next 20 seconds ) i try to use them they lock again,  after i come  to a full stop they unlock.  scared the crap out of me today they locked i was only doing about 35  but and the rear and  slide back and forth a bit,  luckly god  had the skillz  to straighten it out.

Proud ower of a 2007 Suzuki S40!!!!
  IP Logged
hdblueangel
YaBB Newbies

One Day at a Time

South Florida
Re: brakes  question
Reply #1 - 08/03/08 at 22:30:28

When I roll the bike backwards it makes a rubbing sound in the front, I think it's coming from the brake too.  Other than that the brakes work fine.  But the rear break isn't as powerful as the harley softail I used to own.  I don't know if that's normal or not.

hd

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/03/08 at 23:23:54

got an '05 with some 13k on it now. The rubbing sound comes and goes for me. More prevelant after a rain (I leave mine outside). The belt chirps more after a rain too.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #3 - 08/03/08 at 23:35:35

Hands, there is some thing wrong there young lady,front pads cost around $28 ,I'm not sure on the rear linings.
your rear brake needs to be looked at it should not lock up,I'm assuming you are using normal pressure on the pedal,if you stomp on it it will lock,sometimes when brake shoes are worn real bad the cam that opperates them goes flat kinda hovers in no mans land,I'm pretty sure your shoes are shot.on the front check the rotor it might be warped.
  good luck.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/03/08 at 23:51:42

Regarding warped front rotor, it's ok as long as it's not causing any problems (and I assuming it's out of warranty).  You could have it checked to make sure it's not excessively warped.  But I don't think so.

New aftermarket will run upwards to $200.  You can find them on fleabay for $20 - 30.

rear brakes shouldn't be so touchy.  and at 2k they should be nearly new.  Mine are touchy too but not nearly as bad as yours.  You should have disassembled to determine why.

Do you wear riding boots or driving shoes?

When you change your brakes, I'd recommend EBC organics.  They are softer and don't squeal.  you might have to replace them more often though, but they are cheap compared to the rotors and drums.

WWW   IP Logged
hands2005
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

North Carolina
Reply #5 - 08/04/08 at 18:20:14

Hubby is going to check them out, I  don't think I'm stompping it,  cause it did it again today  but not as bad, and only locked once, i wear tennis shoes i know i need to get boots,  that's my next step. and the  front  wheel  does seem to rum  more rolling backwards.  thanks  guys

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/04/08 at 18:28:33

If you get going & start applying the front brake & get harder & harder on it & start feeling a pulse in the lever or feel it slow hard, ease off, slow hard, ease off, then its warped enough to matter, for sure. It could be warped anough to matter even IF it doesnt do that. You can look at it by getting the front wheel off the ground & giving it a spin.

My rear brake locked up too easily for me, so I modified the rear shoes to have a lot less area contacting the drum, by cutting grooves across in several places. Now I can actually feel the pressure on the pedal before it slides the wheel. Another thing is how high the pedal is when the shoes contact the drum. Dont set it down so low you cant get on it quickly if you need it, but if it locks on contact, then its no use either.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 08/04/08 at 19:13:56

Mine has never given me any trouble.  Then the other day, I was following Kay on a stretch of concrete highway.  I thought we were going to turn into a gas station.  She thought we were going to stop and wait for oncoming traffic to clear.  Rather than argue with her by smashing both our bikes up, I hit the binders pretty good.  Slid the rear wheel sideways.  I should be embarrassed, but it was so much fun after I wasn't killed, that I kind of smiled a little bit.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #8 - 08/04/08 at 19:50:45

i have noticed as well i hear a little rub but its worse when i roll backwards and turn the steering column.
it then rubs badly...? yes in the front...
i gotta get somebody besides my wife to help me hold the bike so that i can get down and see whats happening....
my wife can hold it up but if it started to go i dont think it would go good me towards the front knelt down..

Hang up that cell phone and let us that Ride LiVE....~!~

standingbearz   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 08/04/08 at 22:45:03

hands2005 wrote on 08/04/08 at 18:20:14:
Hubby is going to check them out, I  don't think I'm stompping it,  cause it did it again today  but not as bad, and only locked once, i wear tennis shoes i know i need to get boots,  that's my next step. and the  front  wheel  does seem to rum  more rolling backwards.  thanks  guys

Well there you go, driving shoes.  everybody knows the right shoe is full of lead.

You make rum by going backwards, how much for the bike?

WWW   IP Logged
hands2005
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

North Carolina
Reply #10 - 08/05/08 at 15:36:21

lol sorry i meant  " it  does seem to rub more  when  rolling backwards. lol.  " I must need  the rum to  help my typing skills.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:21:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › brakes  question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.