Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
'06 Rejet (Read 145 times)
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

'06 Rejet
08/02/08 at 15:17:12

I got a '06 S40 with baffles removed from stock muffler. It has 5,000 miles on it. Stock jets are 52.5 pilot, and 145 main. I got the rejet kit from Lancer. I cleaned my air filter element with brake cleaner and it looks pretty clean now. I put in the 55 pilot jet and it got rid of the backfiring and the cold start/running surge. It fires up without the choke in the morning with 75F outside. It always ran great and pulled hard up to 90mph. I put in the 150 main jet and now it accelerates like you have a passenger on the back and barely makes it to 85. I put in the 152.5 main jet and it's getting worse. Throttle response from 1/2 to 3/4 throttle is like on/off switch, when cruising with 75mph and cracking it open. So I put the 145 main back in and it accelerates like wild beast again, even when cracking it open from 75+mph up. Air mixture screw is at 1 turn out now with the 55 pilot still in it. This is a weird combination IMHO. Why is that? I thought putting in a bigger main will increase acceleration from 3/4 throttle to WOT? In my case it's the opposite. This doesn't make sense. My elevation is around 270ft, and therefore a bigger main jet should work better. Sometimes it even had some stutter at WOT with 150/152.5 main jets. With the 145 main back in, it's gone. So for the stock pilot it was too lean, and for a bigger 150 main jet it runs too rich? This is confusing... Embarrassed

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: '06 Rejet
Reply #1 - 08/02/08 at 15:27:45

I have s40 06 ,drilled out muffler. running 55 pilot and 1471/2 high speed 800 feet elevation,runs better than it did before I changed jets

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/02/08 at 16:23:22

Check the hole in the jet, is it drilled out to a larger size?

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #3 - 08/02/08 at 16:34:04

I am in the exact same boat with my 05. Put in a 55 pilot, two washers in place of the white spacer and have tried a 155 and 152.5 main... I'm going to try a 147.5 or 150 because my brake adj arm is getting black. Also when I rev the throttle the bike almost dies then revs back up. So frustrating but it was SO lean before that the bike was getting to be WAY too hot. But is also ran a heck of a lot better. I have a dyna pipe that has  had the center baffle knocked out of it and a drop in KnN.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
mo.goad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/02/08 at 17:00:52

Today I put a Dyna Muffler on, no Jet or White Spacer mod but I do have a K&N drop-in filter, I adjust the air-fuel mixture to just where it revs to its highest and no further on my '06 S4 and I'm pretty wow'ed with the results! The acceleration is so SMOOTH with more power than before and the sound is WAY better, especially the spitting on de-acceleration. I had always had ideas of changing the Jets but not so much now! I'm pretty satisfied

IP Logged
s40Ryder
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tallahassee, FL
Reply #5 - 08/02/08 at 17:21:29

MoGoad..I was thinking of rejetting but just changed my stock muffler to a Dyna same as you. After your post Im gonna try to do the same and adjust the mix .... hopefully Il;l get the same results as you. Is your midrange ok ????? no pulsing or surging ??? just wondering..would be nice not to have to tinker with the carb if I dont have to....

Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor wi
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 08/02/08 at 18:32:46

verslagen1 wrote on 08/02/08 at 16:23:22:
Check the hole in the jet, is it drilled out to a larger size?

No, if I compare the stock 145 with the 150,152.5 and 155 from Lancer's kit, the 145 has the smallest bore. Nobody has ever messed with the carb before. The white spacer is still untouched, yet the mid-range is very smooth and satisfying. I bought the bike from a girl, and she said other than the baffels cut out, nothing has been done to it before. When looking inside the gutted stock muffler, all you can see is a plate with four holes in it, just near the clamp to the header pipe. Two of the holes are about 5/16" in diameter, and two more about 1/2" to 5/8" in diameter, with one of them having a collar around it. I have no exhaust leaks, I tested that. Before opening the carb, I never had any troubles with backfiring on shutdown, but a few gunshot blasts decel every now and then. The bike pulls REALLY hard up to about almost 90, especially on a smooth concrete highway. You can even go behind cars with about 70-75, and the crack it open and go past them, and you're at about 90 in no time. It is actually impressive compared to other peoples Savage. But on a hot day like today, with temps hovering around 105F, it struggles to get to 90 from 85. It gets to 85 rather quick, but struggles to do more. I did a 40-70 top gear roll-on, and it did in about 9 seconds. When I change the 145 to put in the 150 jet, it struggles to get over 80, with occasional misfires at WOT. Letting off the throttle then and trying to maintain like 70-75 is hard to accomplish, because either it'll slow down just below full throttle, or give it a little more and it will accelerate again instead. There's no smoothe response at all. It acts like an on/off switch. The problem is even stronger with a 152.5 main. Also every time you roll back from full throttle a bit, it backfires briefly. It seems to me the plug is fouling up then. Although I haven't noticed any excessive soot or black smoke. The muffler is dark brown inside and just a tad black at the exit, and no soot on the rear brake lever at all. And like I said, the way it pulls with the bigger jets, feels like riding with two up. The bite is missing. If I put the stock 145 back in, everything goes back to normal, and none of those weird behaviours remain. I just find this out of the ordinary, considering my low elevation, and a 55 pilot/145 main jet combo to work good is rather strange. I already have read through 110 pages of threads to try to educate myself with peoples experiences and taking the experts advices, before my first post, but I havent seen anybody using this strange setup to make the bike run satisfactory. First of all it is strange to me, that it takes a 55 pilot jet to have a decent low throttle performance at 280ft elevation, furthermid-range is pretty flawless without white spacer mod at same elevation, and finally the stock 145 jet gives the best bang in the top end at same elevation. This is contradictory to anything else I've read here so far. Going by the book, my bike should perform like that with performance air filter at an elevation of at least 1000+ft up, and it still wouldn't explain the big 55 pilot jet. To me this is almost the opposite what everybody else does successfully to improve their bikes. I am pretty satisfied with this strange setup, however am very interested to improve my knowledge in that matter, and want to find an explanation why it is behaving that way. This carb tuning is like an art to me, and it's just fascinating.

IP Logged
mo.goad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/03/08 at 18:51:58

S40Ryder....None of those low/mid-range surges or pulses but, I found out that the air/fuel mixture has to be "just right" otherwise it would have those traits though not worse as stock. I found my highest rev while idling ( 1 3/4 out )  and immediately stopped it there, no higher , no lower. But give it like 5 seconds after each 1/4 move out for it to catch up. I first went 2 turns out not doing this and it was too much but yours may be different. Good luck!

IP Logged
blacksheep23

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/05/08 at 21:18:06

what do u use to take out the pilot jet?ANyone?

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/06/08 at 00:14:15

A small flat screwdriver?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home