Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
You wascawy cawbuwetor. BOOM. hahahaha! (Read 183 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
You wascawy cawbuwetor. BOOM. hahahaha!
08/02/08 at 11:09:17

I'm about ready to put on my Elmer Fudd suit, take down the 12 ga., and go fix my carb.  I cannot seem to strike a balance on this thing.

I KNOW this bike will make 52 mpg steadily and over 60 if I baby it.  I've done it.  

Right now I'm getting 42 mpg every tank.  My math makes that around a 20% decrease.  I have not changed my driving habits.  What I have changed is the pilot jet, the air filter, and the muffler.  #50 pilot from 47.5, Nufoam filter as per Old feller's post, and opened the stock muffler WAY up.  I still have the stock 155 main jet installed.

The bike was running too lean with the intake/exhaust changes, so I changed the jet.  I had the screw out three turns before rejetting.  Now it is running too rich with the screw all the way in.  Header is ugly, rear brake arm is turning black, occasional (rare) cannon shot after low RPM (like through town at 35 mph in 4th gear) run.  The bike doesn't like to idle when it's hot out, but starts great without choke when it's cool in the mornings.

My Jardine muffler is backordered and will be 2-3 weeks before it gets here, at least.  I had hoped to wait until I installed it before fooling with the carb again.  Tomorrow, we're going up to Glacier Park.  I'll need to put the rear plate back on the muffler to keep the spark arrestor police happy, and I'll be riding at about a million feet above sea level.  

I have the bowl off the carb right now, but don't really know what to do with it from here.  I don't want to change the jet today and then change it again tomorrow night.  Am I missing some "middle ground?"  Is there an overlap in the two jet sizes combined with the idle/air screw setting that I haven't found?  Most importantly, why did my mileage suffer so just by changing that jet?  I know it isn't supposed to affect anything but the low throttle performance, so what's going on?

I thought maybe the stupid thing fell out of its hole into the bowl, but that is not the case.

I could really use some input from those who know.  

Thanks,
Sandy

EDIT:  Further research has revealed that these two jets don't look alike.  The 50 has eight tiny holes (four pairs of two) drilled in the side of the shaft.  The 47.5 has no such holes.  I have no idea what this signifies, but could it be a difference that matters?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Re: You wascawy cawbuwetor. BOOM. hahahaha!
Reply #1 - 08/02/08 at 11:31:44

if you adjust the air/fuel mixture out 3 turns then you need a bigger main.  when you open up the muffler you still need a bigger main because you are reducing the back pressure.  do you still have the stock filter.  I would probably recommend a  cone filter and take the air box off.  when you adjust the mixture screw make sure the engine is warm and start a 1.5 turns out and continue out until you hear the idle rev as high as possible then adjust the idle screw to your desired setting. If you have to go out 3 or more turns go up another jet.  all of these mods you have will increase hp and decrease mpg.  you are dumping more fuel into the bike.  
 I put in a K&N filter and drilled the stock exhaust and all i had to do is go up one main and the pilot is stock.   you may think of putting the stock pilot back in.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 08/02/08 at 11:43:31

When I order a richer pilot jet I had to take out the pilot so they knew if it had holes or not to order the jet.So I would say put back in the pilot that came in it.I don't remember which one I have but its an 06.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 08/02/08 at 11:46:49

One of us is unclear on either terminology or carb function.  Don't get me wrong... I'm feeling a little cranky about my poject right now.  I'm pretty sure in my own little head that adjusting the air/fuel mixture with the screw will only change the behavior of the bike when it is running off the pilot jet.  When you get out three turns, it is time to go up in size on the pilot.  I'm running a bigger main than most of the people here already, because it was stock on the older bikes.  Any larger and you could stuff a small child through that sucker. Smiley

Lancer's tuning method, which you described, is what has led me to currently having the screw all the way in.  It is just that that is too rich, and clear out on the next jet down is too lean.  I'm at a loss.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 08/02/08 at 11:48:11

bill67 wrote on 08/02/08 at 11:43:31:
  When I order a richer pilot jet I had to take out the pilot so they knew if it had holes or not to order the jet.So I would say put back in the pilot that came in it.I don't remember which one I have but its an 06.

Ahhh... Thanks Bill.  I never paid attention to the holes before.  If they make a difference, I'll go get one without.

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/02/08 at 11:49:47

lean at idle is a little easier to deal with, put back the original pilot jet.

If you need to choke it to start ok, I use one knotch most of the time just to pick up the rpms.

Main jet is what effects the mpg's and header color.  but once it's changed, it wont go back.

simple rule of thumb on the jet size (the tech posts by lancer et al. are much better) WOT will show you if the main is correct.  Find yourself a long grade that you can use WOT for an extended period.  If you roll off a bit and you get a little more from the engine then you need to up the main jet a bit.  Adjust the white spacer for mid range response and if you're out more than 3 turns on the idle mixture screw, then go up to the next size.

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #6 - 08/02/08 at 12:00:40

verslagen1 wrote on 08/02/08 at 11:49:47:
lean at idle is a little easier to deal with, put back the original pilot jet.

If you need to choke it to start ok, I use one knotch most of the time just to pick up the rpms.

Main jet is what effects the mpg's and header color.  but once it's changed, it wont go back.

simple rule of thumb on the jet size (the tech posts by lancer et al. are much better) WOT will show you if the main is correct.  Find yourself a long grade that you can use WOT for an extended period.  If you roll off a bit and you get a little more from the engine then you need to up the main jet a bit.  Adjust the white spacer for mid range response and if you're out more than 3 turns on the idle mixture screw, then go up to the next size.

The next size pilot, right?

I'm sorry if my attitude is getting skanky, but I'm so frustrated.  I've read and reread all of the tech articles, along with the countless other threads on this very topic.  I have a completely dismantled carb from the parts bike to look at and understand how this all should work.  I know this stuff (I thought) but it is not working out.  By opening up the air and exhaust, I should be getting leaner, shouldn't I?  Not richer?  I haven't changed the main jet, so it should be fine, or else getting leaner at WOT, shouldn't it?

I do appreciate the help.  I just can't figure out why the common wisdom isn't applying to my bike.  Maybe the aliens are screwing with it at night while I sleep.

rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #7 - 08/02/08 at 12:05:13

the holes dont matter, savagewahine noticed the same thing, as did i.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 08/02/08 at 12:09:29

Anyone know what the holes are for.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #9 - 08/02/08 at 12:20:28

I'm still looking to find the difference online, but there IS a difference.  The parts guy at the dealer said "Oh, you want a non-bleed jet."  I'm researching what that means right now.

Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #10 - 08/02/08 at 13:45:10

For better or worse, the new, non-bleed jet is installed.  It seems to have changed things.  I left the screw all the way in and took it for a short run.  In other words, the only thing I changed was the jet.

On decelleration, I now have the old familiar backfire.  It also gave a little fluff on shutdown.  I haven't heard either of those in weeks.  I then set the idle up a little and tuned it by ear.  I ended up about 5/8 turn out, although the change in RPM is less distinct with the turning of the screw (much as it was with the old 47.5 jet I started with when I bought the bike.)  If my performance or mileage change, I'll let you know.

It does appear that I now have a little wiggle room with the adjustment screw, instead of having to be all the way in and still not starting to lose RPMs.  Time will tell, I guess.

I couldn't find an explanation of the difference in "bleed" and "non-bleed" jets online.  Just looking at them side by side with my uneducated eye, I've formed a hypothesis.  The bleed jet is metered at the threaded end, then turns into a bigger tube with holes on the sides and end.  The non-bleed jet is large throughout its length and then is metered at the downstream end.  I'm thinking that this nozzle at the end delivers a mist as the gas leaves the jet, whereas the bleed jet delivers a mist inside itself, which then has a chance to condense and become liquid again before it oozes out the end.  I'd be interested to hear if my idea has any merit, if someone knows.

mastrofury
YaBB Newbies

Beaufort SC
Reply #11 - 08/02/08 at 14:00:12

Im in the same boat. Brand new 08.  I cant seem to find the sweet spot either.  I rode mine the first 200 miles bone stock. Then  I installed Jardine muffler, free flow air filter, 155 main 50 pilot have not done white spacer yet, them f&%#ing screws..  And im all the way in also . any out and i can smell it running rich. so makes me wonder about the backfire?  If its caused by lean condition then why can i make it rich enough to start fowling the spark plug and it still backfires..lol  I dunno but i do think i need the 47.5 pilot jet.

mastrofury mastrofury   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: You wascawy cawbuwetor.
Reply #12 - 08/02/08 at 18:58:12

Well, I called up two of my friends who are motorcycle mechanics today to ask about these "bleed jets."  It seems that some carburetors use the pilot jet across a wider throttle range than ours.  This calls for the pilot to allow more fuel through.  I can't remember all the lingo.  My head is full of "flat slide, square slide, CV, yabba dabba doo."  Suffice it to say that the BS40 is not a carb designed to use the bleed jet.  When that jet is used in the BS40, it allows more gasoline into the engine than an equally sized non-bleed jet, as the engine is drawing on both the pilot and the needle jet at times.  

This explains (to my satisfaction, anyway) why there was no overlap in the two jets with all the adjustment available in the pilot/air screw.  The one is just too much "larger" than the other.  I have hope that I may get my mileage back.  Wouldn't that be nifty?

I'm pretty much just parroting back what I was told today, so I can't really defend it.  If someone knows more or different info, I'd still like to hear it.  I just won't be able to argue that my opinion is correct, so don't ask me for an intelligent discussion of the matter.  I'll let you know how the bike runs with the new jet.  That will settle the matter in my own mind.

« Last Edit: 08/03/08 at 19:01:43 by Sandy Koocanusa »  

bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 08/02/08 at 19:16:03

I check mine it's the non-bleeder type

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #14 - 08/03/08 at 19:02:23

It's the next day now, and I just finished a 200 mile run at varied speeds up and down steep mountains and around lots of twists and turns.  I got 59 mpg!  I still can't explain the whole thing, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that those two #50 jets are not interchangeable.  They both fit the same hole, but they don't do the same thing.  The bike is backfiring again, which tickles me pink.  At least now I'm back on familiar tuning ground, and know what to do.  The return of 17 mpg is pretty nice, too.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 19:41:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › You wascawy cawbuwetor. BOOM. hahahaha!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.