Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The free, 30 second trunk for the Savage! (Read 249 times)
itschnobigdeal
YaBB Newbies

'96 Savage

Duluth, MN
The free, 30 second trunk for the Savage!
08/02/08 at 09:43:36

Maybe this has been done many times before... but I honestly was thinking about how I could carry a bunch of stuff on the Savage yesterday... Then I walked by one of these and it just clicked!

You know those 5 gallon pickle buckets that everyone has laying around? It turns out those fit perfectly on the passenger pillion. It's as simple as finding a bucket, and I used one of those 1 foot long heavy duty rubber bungies to wrap around the bucket and fasten to each side of the backrest brace. It's very secure and no going anywhere. It also serves as a pretty nice backrest too, depending on your size. On the bucket I found there are some ridges that stick out near the top, right where my back rests... So I took a thin, small seat cushion and bungied it around the outside of the bucket facing foreward. Now I have a nice cushy backrest and very nice size storage bin that costed nothing! I was worried that stuff may fly out of the bucket, but to test that I put a few pieces of paper and my beloved baseball cap in the bucket with nothing holding them in. I drove home on some twisties and took the bike up to 80mph, and everything was in there just as I had left it! It may look crude, but who cares? It's very functional and can be taken off in under a second. My bucket is white, sbut I plan on spray painting it black to look a little better.

I hope I didn't steal anyone's idea, or beat the dead horse.. but I was pretty pround of myself when I thought it up all on my own! lol

I'll post pics asap!

Go Big or Go Home
  IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Re: The free, 30 second trunk for the Savage!
Reply #1 - 08/02/08 at 17:28:32

this i gotta see please post up pics... i am not sure if i see in my mind or not what you might be doing..

Hang up that cell phone and let us that Ride LiVE....~!~

standingbearz   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #2 - 08/02/08 at 18:51:01

Hey.....I think that's a pretty good idea!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 08/02/08 at 20:21:20

A very good idea.  Here's the version I went with...  5 gallon Igloo water cooler, a piece of Nufoam batting for the backrest, and a stuff bag.  All from Walmart.  Cost around $30.  Not free, but MUCH less expensive than anything marketed as motorcycle luggage.

As you can see, a backpack will hang by the shoulder straps very nicely, adding to your storage.  Soon I'm going to figure out how to mount the old box from my Chevy on there.  It's just laying out back since I put the flatbed on the truck. Wink

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
itschnobigdeal
YaBB Newbies

'96 Savage

Duluth, MN
Reply #4 - 08/03/08 at 07:39:42

Here's a pic! It doesn't look pretty at the moment, but I can actually put a ton of stuff in there. I fit a 12 pack and one bag of groceries in it last night no problem!

Go Big or Go Home
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #5 - 08/03/08 at 07:49:22

I went a different way, also from walmart for undr $15. I put a foam pad in the front pocket and is quite comfy as a backrest, carries a bunch of stuff and is insulated.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #6 - 08/04/08 at 04:38:31

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 08/03/08 at 07:49:22:
I went a different way, also from walmart for undr $15. I put a foam pad in the front pocket and is quite comfy as a backrest, carries a bunch of stuff and is insulated.
http://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2008/06/23/bikepics-1330075-800.jpg

actually went this same route..
i walked into wal mart and seen they had that same bag you have pictured here for 11 bucks...
it was in grey and black and i thought hmmmmmm...

i brought it home and on the back i sewed a 4 inch piece of black vinyl into it..
and on the bottom fronts i sewed the little velco hooks into loops..
now i can tie it and bungee it to the back of the sissy bar ...
and yes it works great the little plastic cooler box inside keeps it standing straight up and i can load lots of things down in this,...

pics coming later.. gotta go to work..
peace
chai

GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #7 - 08/04/08 at 19:44:18

this will have to do for now till i can afford and find what AL has there for saddle bags....

Nice AL.. and nice looking bike...

Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #8 - 08/04/08 at 19:50:21

BigDeal, discovering new ways to do stuff on this bike is one of my favorite parts of owning it.  In my exuberance, I will occasionally overlook something important.  I can see me, tooling along with my new five gallon buckettrunk, a large smile on my face, as the rain clouds build behind me.  You might want to throw a lid on there.  Be especially careful if you get on the bike after a rain and don't realize there are two inches of water sloshing around in the bottom.  That might screw with a guy's balance.

Looks like you've got the bug!  Keep playing with that bike, and soon you won't recognize it.  

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #9 - 08/04/08 at 20:00:19

yeah the bug is a project ...nearing being done..

the bike yeah is transforming into my character and sooner or later with enough things going on and it being a daily driver i will surely come up with all sorts of stuff...

i do like the locking saddle bags because i would like the comfort of giving a crook a little bit of a struggle hopefully.. ?

i do like the bucket idea and that made me even think of a milk crate sewn in a vinyl/leather bag or something...

the milk crate is to big the bucket might work better ...for the space i am trying to create...

lokjaw777
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/05/08 at 15:33:22

back when i had a sp 600 duel sport....i found a fryer basket cleaned the h3ll outof it cut the handle off....an bungeed onto the back half of the seat an with all them holes you can do some real purty bungee cordin...

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #11 - 08/05/08 at 15:35:23

Nowhere near a new idea. Here's the first time I posted back in Jan. :

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1199911736/26#26

Picture was taken last Aug, and lord knows how old the idea is... probably as old as 5-gallon paint buckets; which used to be metal and had nifty little tabs you could bend and straighten to hold them shut tight.

I prefer this picture of it:

I gotta get a bag and some padding like Sandy. I already upgraded from the paint bucket to the cheap Wally World water cooler!

IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #12 - 08/05/08 at 18:33:37

i went back tonight looking for another one same color but had no luck try again at another walmart tomorrow..

i was able to take the one i bought off the back and mount on the left side as same as saddle bag would hang.... i need another one for other side .. it works great and i have had a passenger on there and seems to be out of the passengers way as well.....

i think one great thing about this type cooler for thsi is the little velco flap door on top so you dont have to unzip it... just hope the velcro dont wear out...

vandaman

Not all who wander
are lost

georgia
Reply #13 - 08/06/08 at 17:55:07

while in tybee island on a vaction used a bait bucket for a beer cooler on the savage held a twelve pack very nicely.

Bike info 2006 S40
Mods front fender delete, mini ape style bars, solo seat, boat trailer read fender, turn signal delete, free flow exhaust, ed.l forward controls, and pegs
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #14 - 08/06/08 at 18:21:35

GrateFuLDad wrote on 08/05/08 at 18:33:37:
i went back tonight looking for another one same color but had no luck try again at another walmart tomorrow..

i was able to take the one i bought off the back and mount on the left side as same as saddle bag would hang.... i need another one for other side .. it works great and i have had a passenger on there and seems to be out of the passengers way as well.....

i think one great thing about this type cooler for thsi is the little velco flap door on top so you dont have to unzip it... just hope the velcro dont wear out...

I never thought of using them as saddlebags. Good idea. Make sure nothing can get caught up in the drive belt or spokes.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:25:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The free, 30 second trunk for the Savage!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.