Damaged belt (Read 147 times)
motokid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Damaged belt
08/01/08 at 21:52:26

Hi,

just noticed that my belt got damage on the trailing edge (looking top side) of every tooth. It is slight squeeze mark (like filed down or something), maybe 1/4 inch wide, close to the wheel side of the belt.

I just notice it after the (uneventful) ride - wasn't there when I started. Couldn't see any damaged tooth on the pulleys (but didn't remove the cover so not sure). Tension seems ok and it is new bike, less than 1000 miles.

Any idea what could have caused that and will it progress?

K

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Damaged belt
Reply #1 - 08/01/08 at 22:01:35

Those belts are pretty hard so if it's marking it you need to find out why - maybe a rock is wedged in the cover or some such

IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #2 - 08/02/08 at 12:35:58

if it's a new bike i would take it to the shop.  warranty!

IP Logged
motokid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/05/08 at 14:17:47

Found it. small rock 'glued' itself to the 'valley' between teeth of drive sprocket, probably from fresh asphalt - lots of road works around here. I don't know if that would be covered under warranty. Hopefully didn't damage it too seriously.

But now, I'm a little bit disappointed. Belt was supposed to be reliable and maintenance free solution. I did pre and post drive inspections, so I know that it took just one ride (45 minutes) to do the damage. It took me some time and sweat to remove sprocket cover, and to inspect and clean every teeth on both sprockets and the whole belt.

This thing can happen anytime. So, how reliable are these really? Or, it's just a bad luck on my part.

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #4 - 08/05/08 at 16:11:26

Rare but it can happen. To get on the front sprocket it probably was thrown from the rear tire onto the belt and bounced up against the upper belt to be carried into the front sprocket (theory) Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 08/06/08 at 07:12:59

I've been told, the lower belt cover is real important for keeping rocks out of the belt.   Althopuh I noticed that it's the first belt cover many people remove.    But..............

About two months ago, I picked up a stone from a fresh "tar & chip"  job they did down the street.   It was about 1-2 hours old (yuk!!!).   Luckily it was a slow speed spot, just after an intersection that I turned from.   I picked up a stone in the rear sprocket.   And maybe because I have the belt set for the "90 deg" tightness, the bike really shook.  Or maybe I should say "Thumped" with each wheel turn.....    I was 500 feet away from my house.......  made it home .... thump.... thump ... thump.....  thought I blew up the tranny because I had slammed on the brakes and down shiftewd real hard to stop the bike....   it was a relief to find out that it was only a stone.  I inspected the belt... no dents but I could see a mark / discolored spot where the stone "thumped" the belt.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:13:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Damaged belt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.