Forward Controls (Read 914 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Forward Controls
Reply #15 - 08/04/08 at 18:56:06

Demin wrote on 08/04/08 at 18:52:24:
I've been thinking about doing that to mine,just for a little extra strength.Just haven't got around to it.

Ditto on that, I too have been thinking along those lines.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #16 - 08/06/08 at 07:28:51

Toymaker wrote on 08/04/08 at 18:46:29:
After our ride this weekend, we all noticed a slight bend in my plates.  I Talked with Oldfeller and we came up with a mod of a mod.  I removed the frontmost bolt that goes through the footpegs and took a piece of 3/8" allthread 13 1/2 inches long and made a "bolt" out of the threaded rod.  Ran it through a 3/8 id metal pipe and tied the two footpegs together.  Tightened them down and WOW what a difference.  The two plated together act like they are much thicker...no flexing at all.  Also, I now have a place to hang a toolbag that I didn't before...or maybe an aux fuel tank...?????

Smiley

Great minds think alike.... Wink   I just did that to my ED L. extensions this weekend..

I'm a worry wart type and was concerned that the kickstand made the plate flex.  Then I noticed the flex when I pushed with my legs a bit to stretch.     The "All-thread"  made a wolrd of difference.  I painted it black then put rubber hose over it.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #17 - 08/06/08 at 08:09:38

I put the allthread inside a plumbing pipe, that way I could tighten the plates up on it.  Also painted it all black.  The pipe is almost the same size as the frame tubes...looks like it is meant to be there.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #18 - 08/06/08 at 08:57:47

Here  are a couple of pics of what I did.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
mastrofury
YaBB Newbies

Beaufort SC
Reply #19 - 08/06/08 at 09:04:06

I want some!!!

mastrofury mastrofury   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #20 - 08/06/08 at 10:40:11

Toymaker wrote on 08/06/08 at 08:57:47:

Yea ok......  just a little too busy to run down to the parking lot to snap a picture.  And the cellphone camera is a little lame.

Toymaker,  you should think about moving the heat shield up a little.  It almost looks like you might be burning some pants there..... NOTE: this is a pre all-thread pict. 

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Onetogo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austin, Texas
Reply #21 - 08/07/08 at 13:35:50

I'm going to make the two ... two ... two plates as one (too much teevee and the doublemint gum thing springs out occasionally) as well. That's where I'll figure out a horizontal oil cooler placement. Scoop air through it from above and dump it out the bottom. My thinking on this is it;ll redirect hot air flow away from me while riding. Vertical position would have hot air from oil cooler blowing back towards legs (?).

Ed - What's your experience with a vertical oil cooler?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #22 - 08/07/08 at 19:03:13

If you mean a oil cooler that fills from the bottom from to the top (vertical) I've been using one off what I think was a GXS'er with no problem. At first I thought that a horizontal (side fill) cooler would have problems with air pockets and not filling but I have changed my opinion on it. There is plenty of flow at a higher RPM which will purge any trapped air in a cooler. When I first installed my set of forward controls I was using a cross bar also, had my gremlin bell hanging off it. I've been thinkng about putting it back on, it does make a difference and fills in the space between the plates. Glad everybody likes the kits, I'll be making more in the near future.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #23 - 08/08/08 at 11:31:27

Ed L. wrote on 08/07/08 at 19:03:13:
If you mean a oil cooler that fills from the bottom from to the top (vertical) I've been using one off what I think was a GXS'er with no problem. At first I thought that a horizontal (side fill) cooler would have problems with air pockets and not filling but I have changed my opinion on it. There is plenty of flow at a higher RPM which will purge any trapped air in a cooler. When I first installed my set of forward controls I was using a cross bar also, had my gremlin bell hanging off it. I've been thinkng about putting it back on, it does make a difference and fills in the space between the plates. Glad everybody likes the kits, I'll be making more in the near future.

Ed,
  Maybe you might want to add a bump / tab on the right plate so that the heat shield can be raised.   With the extensions, your leg is farther front thus higher on the angled exhuast pipe.  

For mine, I used some alum. flatt bar put on behind the plate, and washers for spacers whereever needed (bottonm hole & top H.S. hole).  It would be easier if a tab was added......

T Mack
Tom M.

---
  IP Logged
troglobil

'08 S40

Winder, GA
Reply #24 - 08/08/08 at 18:26:17

Ok Ed, you got me interested. How much do you sell the forward controls for?

Bil

IP Logged
Coleman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 08/09/08 at 22:28:51

I am somewhat interested to.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #26 - 08/10/08 at 13:05:00

Shoot me a PM and I'll put you on the list. They are going for $95.00 which includes shipping.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
madden111
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 08/10/08 at 15:10:42

how much were your foword controls? and do they make them for a 2000 savage? or do i have to by them for a sporster?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #28 - 08/10/08 at 17:10:07

No, you don't need to buy a set for a sporty, don't think that they would fit. I've been making them just for the savage, PM me if interested.

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #29 - 08/31/08 at 10:27:46

Does 4" forward work with the OEM engine guard?

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 18:32:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Forward Controls

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.