Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Anyone have any good news for me?? (Read 1077 times)
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Re: Anyone have any good news for me??
Reply #45 - 10/06/08 at 19:52:15

Ya the penny trick worked perfectly. I'm referring to keeping the clutch basket from spinning when taking off the nut that holds it. In the clymers manual page 152, diagram 15 shows the tool in use. I already have it off, just wondering if I can torque it correctly when I reassemble without buying that tool.

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #46 - 10/06/08 at 20:07:10

use the same trick, penny goes in the opposite side as before.

WWW   IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #47 - 10/06/08 at 21:30:35

Verslagen..are we talking about the same nut? The one that gets you access to the cam chain came off fine with the penny trick. I'm talking about the nut that holds the clutch on..the one that goes in the middle of this pic. That hub won't stop turning without the special tool or a trick right?

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #48 - 10/06/08 at 22:01:44

Right the one in the center of that basket you are holding.

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #49 - 10/06/08 at 22:08:31

Verslagen, I don't know how you are using a penny to hold the clutch basket still, because I understand what Pagan is saying. When you try to remove that particular nut, the clutch basket will spin independently of the gears.

What I did pagan was ran two of the spring bolts back in and used a screw driver to lock it in place against my work bench. This is not really the best idea because you can cause damage to the bolts. But it worked for me. If I recall correctly, it doesn't really require that much torque and with the lock washer on it keeps it from backing out.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #50 - 10/06/08 at 22:19:28

Alright cool that's what I was thinking. Unfortunately that's exactly how I took it off and broke one of the studs. Looks like it says 36-51 ft#'s on that nut so that will probably work for reinstalling

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #51 - 10/06/08 at 22:37:30

If you didn't pry against it, it shouldn't have broke.
So it was broke already and you dodged that bullet.

WWW   IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #52 - 10/07/08 at 16:13:46

Alright well I guess I need to do this right because I don't want to do this again. Looks like I'll be spending about $150 for new valves and seals...and another $110 for the labor. This sound good or bad to anyone? Verslagen, you're close to me...the shop I was going to take it to is in Anaheim (Q+E Machine). Any other places you know of that may be better and/or cheaper?

IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #53 - 10/09/08 at 21:04:47

When splitting the case, Clymers says to use three-bond no.1216 when sealing it and reassembling. I ordered what I thought was the right stuff from bikebandit but the stuff that arrived says Suzuki silicone gasket 1207b sp-3k. Anyone know from experience if this is the right stuff? There are only two products on the site that look correct and neither is called three-bond. Thanks folks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #54 - 10/10/08 at 07:57:57

I think someone dropped that Penny & had some trouble. I diodnt like the idea & used a folded peice of leather. Worked great, no chance of dropping it & having it slip into the guts somewhere.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #55 - 10/10/08 at 08:21:16

to remove the clutch basket nut I used a black and decker 12volt impact driver(runs of battery with crock clips or cig lighter) with a big socket on it. You can stop the basket turning with just your hand on top of it as the driver delivers all the tork round the nut same for nut when renewing cam chain,,cheers

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #56 - 10/15/08 at 13:58:19

Well, finally got a little time today to split the case. It went real smooth so far. Hopefully it goes back together just as smooth. The head is at the shop getting new valves and seals. Thanks Verslagen and T Mack for telling me to split the case. Here's a pic that gives you an idea of what was left after I thought I flushed it pretty well. Anyone else going through this ordeal may want to go the distance and make sure it's perfect before reassembly.

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #57 - 10/15/08 at 15:15:38

Holy crap!  That stuff would not have been good floating around the inside of the case! Shocked

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #58 - 10/16/08 at 18:18:25

When I did the cam chain I used a 1/2" impact to bust that nut out & used it to run it up, too. Then I torqued it, locking gears up using a belt, because I am not comfortable using a penny atwixt the gears.

There IS a hard coating you could have done in the cylinder. I know someone here has done it & likes it.

There are inexpensive compressors avail;ab'e. & a 1/2" impact can be had for cheap. Even a small tank on a 100 psi compressor would be okay, since all the bike needs is a little dose of powwer here & there to make the wrenching go easier. A quick Pop on the rear axle & its loose or tight, the clutch basket didint take 3 seconds of TRigger Time on the impact. Pawn shops sometimes have little compressors someone used for a big drywall project, then sold.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:23:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone have any good news for me??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.