Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Anyone have any good news for me?? (Read 1077 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Anyone have any good news for me??
Reply #30 - 08/09/08 at 16:59:48

On the bright side, the dropped valve didn't lock up the engine and cause you to crash.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #31 - 08/12/08 at 18:06:57

Alright for anyone who cares or is following along..I finally got a little time to pull the engine out of the bike today. Was MUCH easier than I anticipated..now as long as I can find the parts and get it back together correctly I should be back on 2 wheels! Luckily the bottom end looks completely perfect..as far as I can see. Now shrapnel in the case and everything turns over by hand just fine. I can see a lot of the guts and they look real good. Hope there isn't anything else hiding once I finally find a head+cover....

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #32 - 09/27/08 at 06:33:22

Just an update...I've ordered about every gasket, o-ring, washer, cam chain, blah blah blah...got the new cylinder re-honed and now just waiting for the shop to bead blast the cylinder and head on monday. As soon as the new piston rings arrive I shall start reassembly   Sooo, anyone have any tips or important suggestion before I start this process?? I've read through all the tech posts I could over and over and have gone over the Clymers manual several times. Am I missing something or is reassembly really not that difficult? Thanks to all that have helped so far.

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #33 - 09/27/08 at 07:53:44

Don't worry about it bud, follow the clymers and you'll be ok.
If you find anything you don't understand, we're standing by... almost.
Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #34 - 09/27/08 at 10:21:05

Imagine the ordeal if this was a Tupperware wearing 4 cylinder!

Glad you are winning.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #35 - 09/27/08 at 11:32:09

88pagan wrote on 09/27/08 at 06:33:22:
Just an update...I've ordered about every gasket, o-ring, washer, cam chain, blah blah blah...got the new cylinder re-honed and now just waiting for the shop to bead blast the cylinder and head on monday. As soon as the new piston rings arrive I shall start reassembly   Sooo, anyone have any tips or important suggestion before I start this process?? I've read through all the tech posts I could over and over and have gone over the Clymers manual several times. Am I missing something or is reassembly really not that difficult? Thanks to all that have helped so far.

I also posted this in your market place thread.

Assembly is pretty well straight forward and simple. The tricky part is getting the cam and gear in. But if you wrestle with it a few minutes it will go in. Just remember to have the piston at TDC and you line up the cam timing marks level with the top of the head. The orientation of the lobes will have the intake lobe just about to open the intake valve which is what you want because the starter will turn the engine bringing the piston down to suck in the fuel.

For quite a while I had it where both lobes were pointing down and didn't think anything about it until I installed Lancer's performance cam. I had all kinds of trouble until I actually looked at the timing marks. I had the cam severally retarded until I figured it out.

The timing marks are a scribed line that runs straight across the very front of the cam. Make sure those are line up parallel with the top of the head and you will be timed correctly as long as the piston is at TDC.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #36 - 09/27/08 at 12:19:58

How copuld the be no schrapnel in the bottom? The piston had chunks knocked out of it. Where did it go?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #37 - 09/27/08 at 16:38:48

Actually, there were some obvious big chunks that I fished out. They pretty much almost fit the missing parts in the piston exactly. To be sure (hopefully) that I get every last pc, I've picked up a few gallons of oil and I'm hoping to somehow fill the case with a litte, pour it out of the right side whole...repeatedly while watching what comes out. After several times of this I should hopefully be ok right or anyone have any other ideas besides cracking the bottom end! I'm gonna hope that since I was able to find those big chunks that match pretty close that I'll be able to notice any other fragment coming out until it seems perfect. Opinions??

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #38 - 09/27/08 at 16:52:50

Flushing will never get everything out.  There is a engine pictures thread here.  I posted some pict's of the case split.  Look at them.   You will see that there are nook & krannies that the oil will never drain from.  

For my rebuild, I opted to split the case to inspect.  Splitting the case was easy,  inspecting was tediuos....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #39 - 09/30/08 at 08:39:50

Ok so...if the consensus is that I split the case, I really don't want to do all of this rebuilding and leave out that vital part. So, is it really that easy? Hell, I've already made this far. Oh btw, I read a post about replacing the cam chain without removing the clutch basket a while back. I don't know if someone already said this, but I WAS able to wiggle the gear right out of there like someone had mentioned. Very easy. Mine is a 95 and had plenty of room. So back to splitting the case....  Undecided

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #40 - 09/30/08 at 11:24:22

I have a '96 and the clutch basket is definitely bigger than the gear.

And yours is a 5 speed?  I thought you could only 'rock' the gears if it was a 4 speed.

My worry would be if any of that crap got in the bearings.

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #41 - 09/30/08 at 11:31:44

To get the cam chain off of the FireLizard, I just had loosen the clutch basket enough to pull it forward just enough to wiggle the gear out. Didn't even have to pull the clutch basket nut all the way off.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
07S40rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Murfreesboro, TN
Reply #42 - 09/30/08 at 11:49:53

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 07/30/08 at 19:56:26:
Seems like they'd glue a piece of chicken wire or something in there below the valves to catch them when they break.  Kind of a safety net between the valve and the piston.  It wouldn't be any great engineering feat, would it?

Sandy you crack me up man.

88Pagan, I am curious to find out why this happened as well.  If you ever figure that out let us know.  My guess is just metal fatigue.

"One mans McGoofy is another mans McCuff - its like pure magic in a yellow rubber gadget!"
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #43 - 10/06/08 at 17:37:27

Ok, soooo, I attempted to remove the clutch nut without using the special clutch holder tool. I DID get it off, but also broke one of the flanges off of it (the protruding part the bolts go into). So that just set me back a couple more days but the new piece should arrive tomorrow or wed. My question is, do I have to pay the $30 they want for the special tool or does anyone have any tricks to get that nut torqued correctly without it?? I guess it wouldn't hurt to just buy the tool but if all goes right, I won't have this thing this far torn down for a looooong time. Thanks folks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #44 - 10/06/08 at 18:37:44

Did you try the penny trick?  Stick a penny between the gear teeth when you are torquing the nut.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:31:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone have any good news for me??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.