Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Anyone have any good news for me?? (Read 1077 times)
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Anyone have any good news for me??
07/28/08 at 17:35:10

I don't know if I can explain this well enough but I'll try and hopefully has some kind of info to help me out here. I've got a 96 savage that's been running fine until this afternoon. While traveling up a slight uphill in 3rd, something sounded as though it broke somewhere inside the engine (not REAL loud) and the bike started dying. I pulled the clutch and coasted to a stop. The first time I tried to start it again it was a little bit clunky, the second time it just sounded as though there wasn't any compression. I just pulled the right cover off and it looks fine. Cam chain and adjuster intact, everything else fine. I pulled the left cover and same thing. As far as I can tell it's fine. Should I continue on with pulling the whole engine apart?? Maybe it's something to do with the piston or rings? Thanks for any help anyone can offer

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Re: Anyone have any good news for me??
Reply #1 - 07/28/08 at 17:38:20

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but when I started it last night, it died while warming up. I couldn't get it to start for anything and killed the battery. Once I got it charged and finally started, I had to rev it real high to keep it running, it was spewing a little black smoke and sounded real bad. After about 2-3 minutes of that it started running fine. I made it home and then back to work today and it was acting normal. Whatever broke, broke when I was heading home today

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/28/08 at 19:29:33

First thing I would do is use a compression gauge to do a compression check of the cylinder.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/28/08 at 20:58:55

compression check
pull the valve covers to see if you dropped a valve
pull header
pull the carb

my guess, you lost a ring.  hope you didn't drop a valve.

WWW   IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #4 - 07/28/08 at 21:02:14

Alright thanks that gives me somewhere to start. Gonna try to calm my nerves a little and start narrowing it down I hope

IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #5 - 07/28/08 at 22:04:54

Alright well here's what I've found so far -- Almost couldn't get the spark plug out but when I did, noticed the end was messed up. Looked down into the exhaust and yep, the right valve (viewed from the front of the bike) is missing it's bottom! So...anyone know if I'm going to be able to fix this or will I still need to pull the engine apart to see??

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/28/08 at 22:32:41

88pagan wrote on 07/28/08 at 22:04:54:
Alright well here's what I've found so far -- Almost couldn't get the spark plug out but when I did, noticed the end was messed up. Looked down into the exhaust and yep, the right valve (viewed from the front of the bike) is missing it's bottom! So...anyone know if I'm going to be able to fix this or will I still need to pull the engine apart to see??

Well guy, I hate to tell you this but if I understand you correctly you've got a broken valve.  From what you've described it sounds like the stem is broken, which means the rest of the valve probably fell down into the cylinder.  That would explain the damage to the end of the spark plug. If a valve breaks and falls into the cylinder while the piston is going up and down, this usually does serious damage to the engine.  Whatever you do, don't try to crank the engine over.  You need to pull the head off the engine and have a look at the head and cylinder.  But remember, all is not lost.  If your engine is gone, used ones are available and thats a lot cheaper than a new bike or a professional rebuild.

IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #7 - 07/28/08 at 22:38:26

Ya that's what I thought. Well I stopped it pretty much immediately when it broke so I guess I'll pull that head and hope for the best

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #8 - 07/29/08 at 10:19:23

If the piston is damaged, you can get a new piston and rings and you can replace your valves. With any luck the cylinder can be re-honed if it isn't damaged too badly.

After you pull the head and clear out the broken valve if the piston is broke, go ahead and pull the cylinder and piston and carefully turn the engine by hand listening for any noise. If you did shut it down in time the bottom end may still be good and you will only need a top end re-build which is a hell of a lot cheaper than a full re-build and not nearly as difficult.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #9 - 07/29/08 at 13:34:49

I'm going to try to start pulling it apart today after work and see what I find. Another question, can I pull it apart enough with the engine in the frame? I've already had to replace the head cap seal so I'm familiar with it up to there. I also feel like I've read through the Clymers manual a dozen times, just don't know where exactly to start I guess

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 07/29/08 at 13:45:01

I have read that if you take all the mounting bolts out and let it drop lower into the frame you can squeeze the head clear of the very long bolts/studs used to hold it in place.  

In other words,  it may be better to take it out.......  get a strong friend.  I read that it's only about 110 pounds but... it's a bugger to handle in a cramped space. ..... trust me....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #11 - 07/30/08 at 19:47:07

Just wanted to let you guys know I'm still here. Haven't had time to dig into the bike until about 45 min's ago. Pulled off the carb, head cover and am getting ready to pull the head. Probably not going to have time until fri now as I don't have enough light in the garage. Printing some pages from Clymers now to assist me..I'm really dreading messing with the cam chain and timing and all that. I consider myself pretty talented mechanically but timing scares me (doesn't the unknown always). Thanks for all the input you guys have been giving me and please check back once I start tearing into this thing in case I scream for help :-O

IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #12 - 07/30/08 at 19:51:35

Maybe it's too early to ask as this project is going to take me awhile..but I'm curious what may have caused this problem so I don't duplicate it IF I actually get the ole girl running again. Most likely just a part failure or may I have done something to cause it?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #13 - 07/30/08 at 19:56:26

Seems like they'd glue a piece of chicken wire or something in there below the valves to catch them when they break.  Kind of a safety net between the valve and the piston.  It wouldn't be any great engineering feat, would it?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #14 - 07/30/08 at 19:59:22

Ya that would be nice. The suspense is killing me! I wanna see how much damage I've got but don't feel comfortable pulling it out in the dark...wait that didn't sound righ

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 03:18:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone have any good news for me??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.